Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #31
GOW7
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: C-Town AZ
Posts: 2,796
vCash: 500
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Dont like the coined term "warrior" for a guy who doesnt train all that hard and has quit before in a fight and constantly backpeddles and sits on ropes to rest during the backpeddling. I feel he's another fighter who has Floyd to thank for being liked. Plus he was always green and really is the generic version of Oscar De La Hoya in not winning against his best competition. Also his skills are so overhyped for being the only conventional boxer who's left handed where usually you only see right handed fighters pretend to be southpaws. Also he was the prototype to what Manny is to Floyd and fell short since he could never beat the top guys he fought other than Shane Mosely. But the same shit about Floyd ducking Cotto is the same shit used for Manny now. More on this point just like Manny he was spoon fed Floyd's leftovers and given more credit when he beat them. Anyone who's watched boxing over 5 years knows exactly what I'm talking about.
GOW7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
GOW7
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: C-Town AZ
Posts: 2,796
vCash: 500
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

I believe I killed the thread.
GOW7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #33
Saltzy
Bam-O
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 75
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

He's an arrogant crybaby. The storming off and not giving an interview after the Mayweather fight really pissed me off. He's had some close fights in his day and his opponents didn't act like a baby. He's extremely full of himself.

(I had Mayweather 9-3)

That being said yes he is a very good fighter but I think Trout will give him a tough fight ie Clottey esque
Saltzy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #34
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 75
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Jones View Post
I just always chalked that up to English being his second language.
He conducts his spanish interviews the same way.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #35
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOW7 View Post
I believe I killed the thread.
Nah, you just proved only haters have serious problems with him. Tying this shit back to Manny and Floyd doesn't help you out either.


Cotto fights the best, gives great fights, says few things besides he loves his family and trained hard to win, and never complains.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #36
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 75
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Nah, you just proved only haters have serious problems with him.


Cotto fights the best, says few things besides he loves his family and trained hard to win, and never complains.


Never complains? You're kidding right?
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #37
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,976
vCash: 9062
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

He definitely rubbed me the wrong way refusing to interview after the Floyd loss.. Other than that I don't see any reason to dislike him...
Divi253 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #38
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
Never complains? You're kidding right?
No?

He strongly suspected Margarito about the handwraps, but he didn't complain. He said he made no excuses and blamed his own mistakes for the loss, which he corrected in the rematch by controlling the center instead of skirting on the perimeter.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #39
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Julie Benz Island
Posts: 16,375
vCash: 9653
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

I like Cotto... I did root against him hard against Margs! But Cotto is a real dude... He doesn't **** around. I find it funny when he refers to himself in the 3rd person.. "Miguel Cotto is ready for this fight, Miguel Cotto trained hard" LMAO
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 75
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
No?

He strongly suspected Margarito about the handwraps, but he didn't complain. He said he made no excuses and blamed his own mistakes for the loss, which he corrected in the rematch by controlling the center instead of skirting on the perimeter.

All he did in the 24/7's was complain about Margarito's wraps.
Even brought his IPAD out to show a blood stain in Margarito's wraps.

In the spanish stations here in LA, Cotto did the same, complain about the wraps and never owning up to his deficiences as a fighter.

Cotto does'nt strongly suspect Margarito of loading his hands, he points to it as fact, and he was doing that even before the CSAC held their bogus hearings on the matter.

I see nothing wrong if he does'nt rub you the wrong way Tazo, but get out of here, Miguel Cotto is a complainer extroardinaire, of that there is no doubt.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 75
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3000 View Post
I like Cotto... I did root against him hard against Margs! But Cotto is a real dude... He doesn't **** around. I find it funny when he refers to himself in the 3rd person.. "Miguel Cotto is ready for this fight, Miguel Cotto trained hard" LMAO
Yeah, people who routinely refer to themselves in the 3rd person are usually full of themselves.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
All he did in the 24/7's was complain about Margarito's wraps.
Even brought his IPAD out to show a blood stain in Margarito's wraps.

In the spanish stations here in LA, Cotto did the same, complain about the wraps and never owning up to his deficiences as a fighter.

Cotto does'nt strongly suspect Margarito of loading his hands, he points to it as fact, and he was doing that even before the CSAC held their bogus hearings on the matter.

I see nothing wrong if he does'nt rub you the wrong way Tazo, but get out of here, Miguel Cotto is a complainer extroardinaire, of that there is no doubt.
Of course he owned up to his deficiencies as a fighter. He usually always followed up comments about the wraps with the fact that he made mistakes in terms of his conditioning and strategy in that first fight. He repeated it it multiple times throughout interviews and the 24/7s.

"Complainer extraordinaire" is simply an exaggeration. One reasonable complaint out of a career of quality fights with no other excuses concerning his losses doesn't make him exceptional in that regard at all.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #43
PhonyGamboa
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorricane View Post
so he's a business man trying to get extra money from his own people while the fight is free for those in the states....

easily i can see why he's getting hate in the island.... if it was tito he'll be happy with his purse and not try to earn extra money from his own people


You have to pay for Showtime in the United States. There is no "free" as you want to call it. You actually have to subscribe to the service/package. He's also already mentioned that the "PPV" was the idea to get exposure/excitement for the Puerto Rican prospects that are fighting on the undercard which will only be shown over there. The money from the PPV goes into paying the Puerto Rican fighters, building more fight cards in Puerto Rico, signing more Puerto Rican prospects and getting them onto more future cards/PPVs to get exposure and chances at the big time. He already gets his take from co-promoting with Golden Boy. Seems like the islanders have gotten to invested in receiving govn't benefits. Better hope the vote to become 51st state fails, then you'll be bitching at alot more than "$49.99".
PhonyGamboa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 75
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Of course he owned up to his deficiencies as a fighter. He usually always followed up comments about the wraps with the fact that he made mistakes in terms of his conditioning and strategy in that first fight. He repeated it it multiple times throughout interviews and the 24/7s.

"Complainer extraordinaire" is simply an exaggeration. One reasonable complaint out of a career of quality fights with no other excuses concerning his losses doesn't make him exceptional in that regard at all.
Its not just one Tazo. He made his comments about Pacquiao and PED's when that fiasco of negotiations were happening.
Cotto being a fighter who got destroyed by Pacquiao should have probably kept his mouth shut and let the fans and media judge that.

Then he storms out of the ring in defiance that he had lost vs Mayweather.
I know you think that fight was close Tazo, but most viewed it one sided in favor of Mayweather, and yet Cotto I believe to this day is defiant that he won that fight.

We're not talking just one even here.


Let me make one thing clear though. I respect Cotto as a fighter and I even enjoy watching his fights. I'll enjoy his fight with Trout for sure, I'm just pointing out that some of his takes and mannerismsm rub me the wrong way.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #45
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Trying to make a dollar
Posts: 9,603
vCash: 5174
Default Re: Not sure how anyone could dislike Cotto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOW7 View Post
Dont like the coined term "warrior" for a guy who doesnt train all that hard and has quit before in a fight and constantly backpeddles and sits on ropes to rest during the backpeddling. I feel he's another fighter who has Floyd to thank for being liked. Plus he was always green and really is the generic version of Oscar De La Hoya in not winning against his best competition. Also his skills are so overhyped for being the only conventional boxer who's left handed where usually you only see right handed fighters pretend to be southpaws. Also he was the prototype to what Manny is to Floyd and fell short since he could never beat the top guys he fought other than Shane Mosely. But the same shit about Floyd ducking Cotto is the same shit used for Manny now. More on this point just like Manny he was spoon fed Floyd's leftovers and given more credit when he beat them. Anyone who's watched boxing over 5 years knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Be a Flomo, they don't like anybody.

LOL at the "Floyd's leftovers" line. Let's see, a younger Mosely, Pacquiao, Margarito..... if anything Cotto has made the fights Floyd didn't.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013