Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653
Default Re: Department Of Consumer Affairs investigates Cotto's Showtime PPV in PR

Cotto is such a greedy **** for this!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Department Of Consumer Affairs investigates Cotto's Showtime PPV in PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3000 View Post
Cotto is such a greedy **** for this!
****! how did you come up with that vcash?
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Mexicans get fights for free, while we Yanks have to pay.
Cry me a river.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
****! how did you come up with that vcash?
I won a 10 pick parlay.. Nah, it just appeared one day... Accidental I guess.
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3000 View Post
I won a 10 pick parlay.. Nah, it just appeared one day... Accidental I guess.
i guessed so. the parlay bug.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

In Canada any Bute/Pascal HBO or Showtime broadcast is automatically PPV.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

He did that because the fight most likely won't sell a lot of PPV's in the states, and people will pay for it in PR. Business move, by a business man. If you're unhappy, don't buy the PPV like people in the states say they do for Floyd and Pac's fights.

As a fan living in PR would I feel jipped? Yes.. But if I like Cotto that much I'd still pay for it...
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieguy View Post
Cotto is an independent contractor. Showtime is a private company. Neither owes Puerto Rico anything. He may charge/not charge anybody he wants for his services to fight. If they do not want to pay, they do not have to receive the service. But Cotto is not their slave and he does not have to fight for them.

Everybody these days thinks they are entitled to things they are not. Puerto Rico thinks Cotto and Showtime cannot charge them for this fight because they're not charging anyone else. They think they have a right to see this fight. If I want to charge admission to a party for Person A but not for Person B that is my business. Dick move for sure but it's my party so it's my concern. It is not discrimination or criminal. It is business. Why does nobody understand this?
Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States. The rest of the U.S. gets this fight free, but they have to pay. i don't pay attention in my business law class, but I guess this could be construed as price discrimination
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
PhonyGamboa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieguy View Post
Cotto is an independent contractor. Showtime is a private company. Neither owes Puerto Rico anything. He may charge/not charge anybody he wants for his services to fight. If they do not want to pay, they do not have to receive the service. But Cotto is not their slave and he does not have to fight for them.

Everybody these days thinks they are entitled to things they are not. Puerto Rico thinks Cotto and Showtime cannot charge them for this fight because they're not charging anyone else. They think they have a right to see this fight. If I want to charge admission to a party for Person A but not for Person B that is my business. Dick move for sure but it's my party so it's my concern. It is not discrimination or criminal. It is business. Why does nobody understand this?
Best post in the thread. Hands down.
PhonyGamboa is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
lobk
Original ESB Member
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States. The rest of the U.S. gets this fight free, but they have to pay. i don't pay attention in my business law class, but I guess this could be construed as price discrimination
Happens all the time in sport. Certain section of the US gets an event for free while the rest of the US has to pay for the event. This happens in Football, Baseball, and Basketball.

Example; West coast state gets Lakers for free. If I want to watch every Laker's game I have to pay for it by buying NBA package.
lobk is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
pound
Coqui Radar
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
Fighters have their own best interest in mind, not that of their countrymen.
It was Cotto's decision to make his fight PPV in Puerto Rico, because thats the only place his fight will sell.

Cotto-Trout in the US likely gets less than 10,000 buys. Not nearly enough to merit the costs of the sattelites and cable companies from putting it on.
The promotion likely loses money if they stage it PPV in the US.

In the meantime Puerto Ricans can either pay up and be happy , or not pay up and know that Miguel Cotto asks of them of their money to see him perform.

I certainly cant fault Cotto for maximizing his profit, afterall its his life and health he puts at stake everytime he climbs that ring.

You are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off with this hahahahaha. Every Puerto Rican in the states will watch this fight and if it was PPV they ALL would have purchased the boxing fight. 10k?

How many Ricans do you think are in the USA? What % do you think watch boxing? hehe
pound is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divi253 View Post
He did that because the fight most likely won't sell a lot of PPV's in the states, and people will pay for it in PR. Business move, by a business man. If you're unhappy, don't buy the PPV like people in the states say they do for Floyd and Pac's fights.

As a fan living in PR would I feel jipped? Yes.. But if I like Cotto that much I'd still pay for it...
I understand your point, but if Cotto really does use it to help PR boxing in general, then good for him. The under card fighters are way too often ignored. It gives these guys some inspiration and motivation.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #28
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobk View Post
Happens all the time in sport. Certain section of the US gets an event for free while the rest of the US has to pay for the event. This happens in Football, Baseball, and Basketball.

Example; West coast state gets Lakers for free. If I want to watch every Laker's game I have to pay for it by buying NBA package.
Showtime is a nationally broadcast channel. What you are referring to is regional coverage of games.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #29
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880

****ing feds tryin' to up Cotto's shit. Tryin' to stop him ripping off his countrymen and shit.
qwert is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
lobk
Original ESB Member
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Showtime is a nationally broadcast channel. What you are referring to is regional coverage of games.
Fox, CBS, ABC are all nationally broadcast channel just like Showtime. They also have sporting event that they show just regionally but can be viewed throughout the country if you are willing to pay for it. The definition of what makes up the region is up to the broadcasting company's discretion.

An example of regional: The NFL has 6 games starting at noon. I want to watch the crappy Cleveland brown but live in Arizona. There is no way in hell that is being shown in my state but it more then likley is on the east coast state. SO to watch what is essentialy free to part of teh US I'll have to pay for it by buying the NFL package.

Therefore what Showtime is doing has already been done making this investigation a pointless.
lobk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum