Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Thoughts on Luke Rockhold

What is the consensus of this guy on this forum?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huaI0_hDZ7o[/ame]

A lot of people see Luke as the future of the MW division. If not the one to dethrone Anderson; the one to replace him as the MW kingpin when he is gone.

I just don't see it. I see a well rounded guy with a lot of flash, but I don't see someone that will be dominant at the top level. It's also worth noting that he is amongst the bigger guys in the division. His best win so far is against Jacare, and I don't think he even deserved the decision in that fight. If you take that fight away, his best win is a gritty battle against a mid level talent (at best) in Tim Kennedy.

Sure, he has dominated the likes of Keith Jardine, Jesse Taylor, and Paul Bradley, but were those really performances indicative of a future great? When he makes his way over to the UFC, where do you think he will end up in the MW division? Top 10? Top 5? Champion?
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Thoughts on Luke Rockhold

I scored it 4-1 (at worst) for Luke Rockhold against Souza. Kennedy never engaged - save for holding onto Rockhold for dear life.

I am a humongous Rockhold fan. But he is not the future of the division. That title belongs to Chris Weidman. Rockhold will find success in the UFC. I reckon a good 2-4 years as a top-5 Middleweight.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

There's a whole lot of talent at MW. The division gets a lot of flak, because Anderson makes it look bad. When Anderson retires, a lot of the new guys are gonna get a chance to shine. Hopefully there'll be a fresh injection of talent from Strikeforce as well.

Rockhold will occupy the bottom of the top 5, and he can be competitive with the top of the top. I doubt he'll ever hold a title in the UFC.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Travis Fulton
The Ironman
ESB Jr Member

his record is still pretty green
until he fights a top5 Middleweight its hard to rate him
i still think theres a lot of good fights for him against UFC guys
maybe hell step his game up when he comes to the big show
Most guys at AKA have had good sucess recently
Travis Fulton is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

If he wasn't so delicate, he'd be an ATG.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I definitely felt he beat Jacare.

Still, I prefer Weidman to Rockhold. That is a fight to make. Separate the wheat from the chaff.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

He looks like a good strike with decent grappling but he is yet to display anything special that would allow him to operate and succeed at the highest level i.e. win the title.

You do get good all rounders, like Michael Bisping, who may go down as the pernnial contender. Bisping is a good all rounder but with nothing particularly special, you can't ever see him beating Silva, Jones, Henderson or even some B level fighters.

I think Rockhold can and will compete. He has already proven that with convincing wins over the likes of Souza and Kennedy but can he go that extra step towards the title, which is what all the contenders should be aiming for, then I would probably say no.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
What is the consensus of this guy on this forum?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A lot of people see Luke as the future of the MW division. If not the one to dethrone Anderson; the one to replace him as the MW kingpin when he is gone.

I just don't see it. I see a well rounded guy with a lot of flash, but I don't see someone that will be dominant at the top level. It's also worth noting that he is amongst the bigger guys in the division. His best win so far is against Jacare, and I don't think he even deserved the decision in that fight. If you take that fight away, his best win is a gritty battle against a mid level talent (at best) in Tim Kennedy.

Sure, he has dominated the likes of Keith Jardine, Jesse Taylor, and Paul Bradley, but were those really performances indicative of a future great? When he makes his way over to the UFC, where do you think he will end up in the MW division? Top 10? Top 5? Champion?
I think you're being a little harsh on him. I thought he clearly defeated Jacare, and I think Kennedy is every bit as goof of a win as Jacare. Kennedy and Souza have similar records, and their fight was razor thin when they went head to head.

I don't think Rockhold has enough speed to compete with Anderson. Belfort's hand speed may be the difference if they fought, but that one is still close to a 50/50 match-up in my opinion. I haven't watched enough of Weidman to have an opinion on that match-up.

I think Rockhold is definitely a top 5 fighter, and would only take Anderson as the division's clear favorite against him.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

I don't see him making the MW limit much longer....... Great footwork, intelligence, but still very RAW. I view him as one of the only real threats to the Champ (Bisping perhaps?) so he won't be fighting for UFC Gold anytime soon.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I think you're being a little harsh on him. I thought he clearly defeated Jacare, and I think Kennedy is every bit as goof of a win as Jacare. Kennedy and Souza have similar records, and their fight was razor thin when they went head to head.
I recall Jacare clearly winning the first round, and hurting him enough in the second round to take it. Rockhold was throwing a lot, but landing little of significance. There must have been a third round I gave Jacare, too, but I don't recall which. I also didn't think that the Jacare/Kennedy fight was particularly close, and I thought it was ridiculous that Kennedy was somewhat protesting the decision.

That post probably did come across as more critical than I intended, though. I do think he is very good, but I don't see him being the next big thing. I'm not sure I'd pick him over a guy like Bisping at the moment.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I recall Jacare clearly winning the first round, and hurting him enough in the second round to take it. Rockhold was throwing a lot, but landing little of significance. There must have been a third round I gave Jacare, too, but I don't recall which. I also didn't think that the Jacare/Kennedy fight was particularly close, and I thought it was ridiculous that Kennedy was somewhat protesting the decision.

That post probably did come across as more critical than I intended, though. I do think he is very good, but I don't see him being the next big thing. I'm not sure I'd pick him over a guy like Bisping at the moment.
Jacare clearly won the first round with clean right hands, but I wasn't impressed by anything he did afterward. I can't remember if I scored it 3-2 for Rockhold, or 4-1.

I didn't score the fight for Kennedy. I don't remember if my overall score for Jacare and Kennedy reflected a close fight, but I seem to recall every round being very close. I probably shouldn't use descriptions like "razor thin" to describe a fight with a clear winner, but it seems like Souza was just edging Kennedy out in those rounds. I may watch again to see if my memory is serving me correctly.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum