Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. 107 50.95%
Roberto "Manos De Piedra" Duran 103 49.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #421
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd or Duran - Most skilled?

Dreadful stuff.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #422
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Floyd Mayweather Jr. - King of Kings
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #423
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonit View Post
It's like Pryor from the Arguello fight or Hagler from the Hearns fight. Combination of a great fighter being in his absolute physical prime plus having a point to prove.
I disagree with this. Arguello and Hearns weren't at their best at 140 and 160; more like fourth and third respectively. They went up to meet those guys and lost -- Leonard is a definition natural welter. Duran overcame more than Pryor or Hagler, and Leonard's better than both Arguello and Hearns at their best weight, much less where those fights took place.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #424
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Can we shut this thread down? The answer is Roberto Durán Samaniego - clearly - which is saying something given Mayweather's brilliance. Watch the damn fight films. Watch their entire careers. Watch their best performances. Assess the level of opposition they're facing at their best and the different facets (and the depth/quality of those facets) they show when dealing when them.

Cool? Good? Okay, let's move on.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #425
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Can we shut this thread down? The answer is Roberto Durán Samaniego - clearly - which is saying something given Mayweather's brilliance. Watch the damn fight films. Watch their entire careers. Watch their best performances. Assess the level of opposition they're facing at their best and the different facets (and the depth/quality of those facets) they show when dealing when them.

Cool? Good? Okay, let's move on.
Would you really put Dempsey and Johnson over Ross and Canzoneri?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #426
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Would you really put Dempsey and Johnson over Ross and Canzoneri?
Didn't see that part of this thread, but if Bert Sugar did, I don't see why not

I also tend to agree with his decision to leave Holman Williams and Lloyd Marshall out of the top 100 and place him well behind Primo Carnera. Luis Rodriguez also -the Cuban brawler with mediocre boxing skills who deserves no place ahead of the much more accomplished and deeper resume of Sonny Liston.

I'm also fond of putting Marcel Cerdan the legendary Fireman Jim Flynn over Jose Napoles, Ike Williams, Tommy Hearns, Carlos Ortiz, Michael Spinks, and the like as Bert did.

I hope we can get on the same page soon. Maybe you'll start to see the light
JMP is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #427
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

I didn't get past the top ten on Sugar's list. I literally didn't bother with the rest of it.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #428
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I didn't get past the top ten on Sugar's list. I literally didn't bother with the rest of it.
Bert was a wonderful character in the sport, an insightful story teller, and a real throwback kind of reporter, but his lists were ****ing cringe-worthy. I have no idea why he, or so many others, rate Johnson and Dempsey so high in the P4P lists. There are a whole host of fighters who not only have far better lists of victories and accomplishments, but just straight look superior on film. It has to be historical and societal significance clouding better judgment. If that's not it though, I'm clueless...

Yeah, rating Johnson and Dempsey over Canzoneri and Ross is as criminal as rating D12 and Zo over The Dream.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #429
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Bert was a wonderful character in the sport, an insightful story teller, and a real throwback kind of reporter, but his lists were ****ing cringe-worthy. I have no idea why he, or so many others, rate Johnson and Dempsey so high in the P4P lists. There are a whole host of fighters who not only have far better lists of victories and accomplishments, but just straight look superior on film. It has to be historical and societal significance clouding better judgment. If that's not it though, I'm clueless...

Yeah, rating Johnson and Dempsey over Canzoneri and Ross is as criminal as rating D12 and Zo over The Dream.

You're missed around here.

I expressed the same thing with Johnson/Dempsey: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 12-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #430
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

You're missed around here.

I expressed the same thing with Johnson/Dempsey: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I don't have much time to post anymore while finishing up undergrad. I'm only posting now because I took adderall and instead of focusing on statistics for an exam on Monday, I've been doing nothing but watching YouTube boxing videos and scrolling through threads on here...for four straight hours. ****
JMP is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #431
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

That's how it goes.

I'm on the opposite side of things: My phone makes this place too easily accessible, from anywhere, any time. Actually got out to L.A. last weekend and made maybe 2 posts-it was refreshing. This place is something of an addiction that I should probably quit soon.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #432
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Floyd would duck Duran.
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #433
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
That's how it goes.

I'm on the opposite side of things: My phone makes this place too easily accessible, from anywhere, any time. Actually got out to L.A. last weekend and made maybe 2 posts-it was refreshing. This place is something of an addiction that I should probably quit soon.
I feel you.

It's weird. This place is like a home away from home - like an online/e-home. Everybody has a love for boxing and you can engage in discussion about current and past fights and fighters. You just can't do that in real life, or at least I can't. My closest friends know Pacquiao, Marquez, Mayweather, and Cotto, which is about 2-4 more fighters than the majority of the people I associate with can name.

...don't outright quit, though. **** that.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #434
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
I feel you.

It's weird. This place is like a home away from home - like an online/e-home. Everybody has a love for boxing and you can engage in discussion about current and past fights and fighters. You just can't do that in real life, or at least I can't. My closest friends know Pacquiao, Marquez, Mayweather, and Cotto, which is about 2-4 more fighters than the majority of the people I associate with can name.

...don't outright quit, though. **** that.
95% of the people I've talked to on here about that have the same problem with their friends, and it's the exact situation for me. It's pretty miserable to be utterly strung up into this boxing shit - hopelessly - with so few humans to interact with about it outside of this place. I've managed to get one of them to become interested, but I pretty much tend to make it the dominant topic, especially the more intoxicated I get. It's very one-sided. I've given away all kinds of books and dvd's, trying to get him on this shit.

I wouldn't quit outright, but it's already December and I'm supposed to be bulking this winter. This place isn't helping me focus on that.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #435
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
95% of the people I've talked to on here about that have the same problem with their friends, and it's the exact situation for me. It's pretty miserable to be utterly strung up into this boxing shit - hopelessly - with so few humans to interact with about it outside of this place. I've managed to get one of them to become interested, but I pretty much tend to make it the dominant topic, especially the more intoxicated I get. It's very one-sided. I've given away all kinds of books and dvd's, trying to get him on this shit.

I wouldn't quit outright, but it's already December and I'm supposed to be bulking this winter. This place isn't helping me focus on that.
You powerlift or bodybuild by chance?
JMP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum