Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: What result do you predict?
Price by KO 120 74.07%
Price on points 4 2.47%
Draw 1 0.62%
Thompson by KO 34 20.99%
Thompson on points 3 1.85%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danebrogen View Post
Cherry picked opponent. Old and slow lumbering opponent with feather fists and a chin that won't hold up to Price's powerfull right hand. .
Huh?

He's only been down twice (and once was Wlad.) He has 24 KO's, and 7 straight KO's in his last 7 wins.

Only on ESB does that mean feather-fisted and glass-chinned.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #32
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,390
vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
It would mean nothing because its not in Wlads nature to look for eary knockouts. Did the majority here start following boxing last week?
You're 100% correct about their respective styles and I know the whole triangle thing is meaningless when assessing outcomes between fighters who only have a common opponent, but I think it would mean something - in terms of reputation and marketability (not so much his chances against Wladimir, who is flat-out head-and-shoulders above every contender out there).

Thompson is generally a pretty durable fighter. He doesn't do anything spectacular by any means, but has a bit of skill, doesn't block 75% of punches with his face as the majority of HW's do nowadays, has great size, and has fought solid opposition. If Price can stop him early, it'll further stamp Price as an extremely serious puncher and cement his status as one of the true heavyweight contenders.

Knocking out Thompson early would also make people want to see him fight again. It'd get the hype-machine going a bit more than what it's currently at. With the lack of exciting prospects out there (further diminished by hyped Mitchell getting sparked early) Price would be seen as a breath of fresh air - and we all know fans love the knockout punchers. Especially those with an aura of vulnerability, which Price seems to have according to his amateur background and gym stories.

...but I see your point and what you're getting at.
JMP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #33
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,810
vCash: 26665
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Anyone slagging off this fight needs to get in touch with reality. This is more than respectable. It's a very, very good step up for Price at this stage. This man's had fifteen fights, nine of which haven't seen the third round. This is quite exactly the type of opponent and experience he should have, before something like a title shot. It's a recent Ring-ranked top ten fighter. As late as 2012, if you could focus on that, instead of his age. For Niko's sake, you people.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #34
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,390
vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Also, Thompson would be a nice deviation from the British crop of heavyweights Price has been fighting. No need to be fighting any more of those recycled domestic-level guys unless it's Tyson Fury. What I'd really love to see, but have no faith in it happening any time soon, is Price-Boytsov. Bombs away.
JMP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #35
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
What I'd really love to see, but have no faith in it happening any time soon, is Price-Boytsov. Bombs away.
I think Boytsov is going back to fighting clothing designers, hair stylists, and wedding planners.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,390
vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
I think Boytsov is going back to fighting clothing designers, hair stylists, and wedding planners.
...and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.
JMP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #37
Godsavethequeen
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 774
vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danebrogen View Post


Someone with fasts hands, a decent chin and power would crush can crusher Price.
I know it may be hard for people like you to use your single brain cell, but Price has How Many fights under his Belt??? Exactly 15..and you call him a can crusher!! Well I can think of several of them...Wilder 25 fights... Fury 19 figts... Helinus 18 Fights..
All the above are undefeated, yet the guy with the least fights you call a Can crusher?? the worst Can crusher ( as you say ) on the list is Wilder by FAR.. At least Fury is fighting a guy ranked 29 in the world. Price fighting a guy ranked 11th in the World..Yet Wilder is fighting a guy ranked 69th in the world having fought 9 times more than price and 6 more than Fury.. Your view is idiotic
Godsavethequeen is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #38
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 12,435
vCash: 661
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsavethequeen View Post
I know it may be hard for people like you to use your single brain cell, but Price has How Many fights under his Belt??? Exactly 15..and you call him a can crusher!! Well I can think of several of them...Wilder 25 fights... Fury 19 figts... Helinus 18 Fights..
All the above are undefeated, yet the guy with the least fights you call a Can crusher?? the worst Can crusher ( as you say ) on the list is Wilder by FAR.. At least Fury is fighting a guy ranked 29 in the world. Price fighting a guy ranked 11th in the World..Yet Wilder is fighting a guy ranked 69th in the world having fought 9 times more than price and 6 more than Fury.. Your view is idiotic
Wow......Helenius fought 3 world champions inside his 16th fight. All of them under 35 years old.

He tears his shoulder BEFORE his fight with Chisora, GOES FORWARD WITH THE FIGHT, and somehow his name is included in the same sentence as the word can crusher.

WTF is that.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #39
RightCross
Grandmaster of Boxing
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cincinnati Cobra
Posts: 5,266
vCash: 915
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Good step up for price. 3 years ago TT would beat price, he is getting up there though and I still have him edging a decision.
RightCross is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #40
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,721
vCash: 100
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Anyone slagging off this fight needs to get in touch with reality. This is more than respectable. It's a very, very good step up for Price at this stage. This man's had fifteen fights, nine of which haven't seen the third round. This is quite exactly the type of opponent and experience he should have, before something like a title shot. It's a recent Ring-ranked top ten fighter. As late as 2012, if you could focus on that, instead of his age. For Niko's sake, you people.
Tell me what Thompson has ever done? Who has he beaten? Bombing away old Thompson who was never that good to begin with is going to prepare him for Wlad? You're deluded. Its a cash fight. When Price steps up, he's going to fall, hard.
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #41
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,540
vCash: 3000
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Why does Thompson continue to get fights???
What a garbage division.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #42
Danebrogen
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ur mum
Posts: 1,118
vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Huh?

He's only been down twice (and once was Wlad.) He has 24 KO's, and 7 straight KO's in his last 7 wins.

Only on ESB does that mean feather-fisted and glass-chinned.
If he had actually fought anyone with a pulse he would have an atrocious ko %. It took him 9 rounds back in 2009 when he still wasn't 40 years old to KO fraud "prospect" Chazz Witherspoon, who got destroyed by American hype job Seth Mitchell in 3 rounds.

This guy has been feasting on bums after he got beat by Wlad in 2008. Another past his prime, old, shot fighter for Price to feast on. And he has never been a hard hitter, nor fast. In other words a perfect fit for Price. That being said Tony Thompson is still decent, and it's a good step up.
Danebrogen is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #43
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,810
vCash: 26665
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Tell me what Thompson has ever done? Who has he beaten? Bombing away old Thompson who was never that good to begin with is going to prepare him for Wlad? You're deluded. Its a cash fight. When Price steps up, he's going to fall, hard.
Too familiar with you now to bother. Good try though. Happy engaging the fish, mate.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #44
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,721
vCash: 100
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Too familiar with you now to bother. Good try though. Happy engaging the fish, mate.
Post stupid statements , expect to be called out on it. Nice cop out.
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #45
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 840
vCash: 160
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

I think this is the right sort of level opponent for price, thompson is a decent fighter. But I don't think it's a good idea to choose to fight 3 40+ opponents in a row. People won't take him as seriously if he gets a reputation for fighting old men all the time.
Ncc84 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013