Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #151
assasin
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Best cherry pickers of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypaysbills View Post
Hiya mate, Joe was also old when he fought Roy and I don't see the fight as the stuff of legends. Joe just wanted one big payday to retire on and Roy is broke or still thinks he's the greatest or can't stop boxing whatever reasons he's still fighting I don't know. I don't really count that fight for much other than a money making exercise for which it was very good and they were both handsomely paid.

As for Roy he has few weak names on his resume same as Calzaghe and I'm sure we've debated this before. However, Joe fought in a weaker SMW period to begin with and beat the best available apart from Ottke who refused to fight him and we all know about the strange case of Hopkins refusing a career high payday to fight Joe although as we all know the reasoning isn't clear but showed Joe tried. Also in the end Joe unified and beat the man at the division above abroad. Also keep in the mind that the fighter makes the belt not vice versa, although you're not the average idiot on here so I trust you know that

As for Roy he often fought mandatory fighters when bigger names could have been made. You might say I'm being too harsh on Roy but most fighters have a resume that can be glorified and damned depending on what view you take

nice talking to you
he is an idiot! he thinks the title makes the fighter. i'm being serious.
assasin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #152
C.J.
Boxings Own Living Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPaulValley View Post
Ask Lennox why he waited 3 years to rematch Oliver McCall.
Ask Lennox why he fought Tyson ten years after his prime.
Ask Lennox why he couldn't dominate an aging Holyfield.

There are actual newspaper articles that say the same stuff about Lewis.
I'm not making it up. It's true.

Lewis ducked,and beat up old drug addicts and past prime fighters.
He was a vulture.
Obviously what you know about boxing & Lennox Lewis in particular wouldnt cover a pin head Can I suggest you follow Ice dancing thay'd be more your sport LOL
C.J. is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #153
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
I understand exactly where you're coming from mate, and like I say, I was frustrated too.

I wish those fights with DM and Hop had have materialised, and I wish he'd never made Tarver fight Harding in that eliminator. If he'd have beaten Tarver earlier, he probably would have stayed at heavy a little longer, or gone to Cruiser, and his career might have turned out a lot different.

It was an absolute joke that Frazier was a mandatory, but Roy didn't have a lot of choice but to fight him, because he wanted to unify the division against Reggie Johnson. It would have been silly to kick up a fuss, but I don't know how he got himself motivated for that fight. He went on to fight Reggie in his very next fight.

Roy was supposed to be fighting Rocchigianni early in 2000, but something happened where he couldn't commit to the fight. David Telesco was his replacement. HBO wanted the fight with Telesco, and he'd been baiting Roy for a while.

Regarding Woods, I've heard Roy say that he didn't want the fight, but the IBF threatened to strip him if he didn't take it.

There's a lot of politics in boxing, and things are never as straight forward as they seem.

I found this interesting article a few days ago.

This shows that it would have been impossible for Roy to try and unify the 168 division, what he gets a lot of criticism for.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon as always a good and insightful poster as far as the Rochi fight he was battling 2 things alcohol and the WBC ..Jones had to fight Rochi for the belt that was awarded to him after they took it off Rochi but Rochi no showed at the press conference for their fight and had a a ton of personal problems from what I read ..Add that to the fact that he chose to take the WBC to court so Roy had no choice but to find a replacement ..
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #154
C.J.
ESB Addict

Quote:
After Lewis Turns Down $11 Million, Bowe Fight Won't Happen Until '94
July 21, 1993|From Associated Press

LONDON Lennox Lewis, the World Boxing Council heavyweight champion, has rejected a deal to fight Riddick Bowe for the undisputed title.

"The deal was $21 million for Bowe and a 50-50 split if the final purse went above $32 million," Frank Maloney, who represents Lewis, said Tuesday. Lewis was guaranteed $11 million.

"We declined that, and the Bowe fight won't happen until the summer of 1994," Maloney said.

In a statement released through his manager, Rock Newman, Bowe, the International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Assn. champion, said Lewis is a "pitiful disgrace to the manly art of boxing. . . . Lennox Lewis is a pompous, arrogant, phony British punk who is simply afraid to fight me."
Absolute BULLSHIT!!!!
C.J. is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #155
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Absolute BULLSHIT!!!!

If anyone did the ducking it was Bowe of LL ..He couldn't get over that amateur loss to him .
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #156
C.J.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
He's credited with saying a lot of things, but proof of these quotes are never produced. Tyson never ducked anyone, especially out of fear. He ALWAYS fought guys bigger than him ... he took on Razor Ruddock when he was being ducked by everyone and beat him twice. Lewis would've had his clock cleaned if he ever fought the Ruddock that Tyson did.

And when they did fight, Steward was freaking the **** out even when Lewis was winning. And WTF does Steward know? Why is he referenced like some know it all? How would he even know Tyson was scared when he never even worked with him ... can he read Tyson's mind and feelings from afar? It was his opinion and people take it for fact.

Lewis is also on record exclaiming that he didn't want to fight Tyson after he sparred with him, because he was like "an animal." Its clear that Lewis knew he was going to get his chin blasted out of the ring if he ever stepped in with Tyson in the 80s when he was at the top of his game.
When Lennox & Tyson were with Cus D'mato as kids Lennox handled Mike easy . Lennox al;ways had Mike's number
C.J. is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #157
artful
*practice makes perfect*
ESB Addict

vCash: 3254

Wlad and Vitali they've both ducked each other for years they might be brothers yes.. but boxing isn't a sport of sentiment so the #1 and #2 should of been forced to fight years ago.
artful is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #158
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
When Lennox & Tyson were with Cus D'mato as kids Lennox handled Mike easy . Lennox al;ways had Mike's number
Lewis himself will tell you that Tyson got the better of him but he did manage to hold his own towards the end

Truth is that they sparred once and it traumatized Lewis
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #159
diesel
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Lennox Lewis for me.

Lewis career breakdown

Here are Lennox Lewis' most difficult opponents:

Tony Tucker - Made his name going 12 with Prime Mike Tyson in 1987. Lennox waited until Tony was 35 years old, fat and addicted to cocaine, and beat him 116-112. Not only that, he looked like shit doing it. This 1993 version of Tucker had 3 years out of boxing. In fact, Tucker was so washed up that Bruce Seldon ko'd him in 7 rounds and Herbie Hide took just 2 rounds to get the job done

Mike Tyson had a prime of 5 years. 1986-1992. Lewis fights him in 2002.

Andrew Golota,a mentally disturbed fighter coming off 2 DQ's

LEWIS WARNED THIS IS FOR REAL

Author Dillon John Publication The Mirror London England

Date Sep 25 1998

LENNOX Lewis was reminded here last night of the harsh truth that he has waded to the top of the world through a pile of washed up drunks and junkies Lionel Butler was on drugs Oliver McCall was in and out of rehabilitation with drug and booze problems and Tommy Morrison went on drinking binges before the fight said Steward

diesel is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #160
diesel
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
After Lewis Turns Down $11 Million, Bowe Fight Won't Happen Until '94
July 21, 1993|From Associated Press

LONDON Lennox Lewis, the World Boxing Council heavyweight champion, has rejected a deal to fight Riddick Bowe for the undisputed title.

"The deal was $21 million for Bowe and a 50-50 split if the final purse went above $32 million," Frank Maloney, who represents Lewis, said Tuesday. Lewis was guaranteed $11 million.

"We declined that, and the Bowe fight won't happen until the summer of 1994," Maloney said.

In a statement released through his manager, Rock Newman, Bowe, the International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Assn. champion, said Lewis is a "pitiful disgrace to the manly art of boxing. . . . Lennox Lewis is a pompous, arrogant, phony British punk who is simply afraid to fight me."
diesel is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #161
diesel
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Yeah a G with 50 guys to help him as Tyson walks up alone.
And it still took Lewis 8 rounds to beat this old washed up Tyson when it took Danny Williams and Kevin Mcbride less rounds.
diesel is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #162
diesel
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Always an excuse with you isn't it.
its true lennox fought guys who were shot or past thier primes...beating a 2002 mike tyson means nothing/ thats like marciano beating on joe louis= meant fuk all/ and ruddock was done after those 19 brutal rds with tyson
diesel is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #163
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel View Post
its true lennox fought guys who were shot or past thier primes...beating a 2002 mike tyson means nothing/ thats like marciano beating on joe louis= meant fuk all/ and ruddock was done after those 19 brutal rds with tyson
And that's Lewis fault?
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #164
diesel
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
And that's Lewis fault?
it is when you cherry pickin....and if lewis wanted to fight tyson in 96 so badly why did he accept 4 million bucks from don king so tyson could fight bruce seldon??? and lewis accepted the 4 million and ran into the nite like a thief........if he really wanted to fight tyson he wouldnt have accepted.... the 4 million.
diesel is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #165
whyteyes
Journeyman

Jimmy Thunder.

Dicky Ryan.
whyteyes is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum