Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #166
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
OK. Again. Who would have promoted Pac/May under May's proposal. No one wants to answer this one because we know the truth. It would have been a GBP. They have a license and promote his fights. But go ahead. Please answer so we are on the same page.

Floyd flat out denied the negotiations happened for the second round after Arum had been in negotiations. This is why Arum said he didn't know who to negotiate with. Floyd said there were NO negotiations. HBO basically had to step in and back Arum that there were negotiations. So, you lose here. Arum was right to say he didn't know who to negotiate with because of this. Floyd denied the people negotiating for him had the right to do so. Not nearly the same as calling Pac direct and telling him Top Rank could not be involved in the promotion if they fought.
Again you're placing too much significance on Floyd's bullshit offer, but to review from November of 2011, before said dumb offer was made:
Quote:
Arum indicates that one of the investment groups is talking directly with Mayweather, without the involvement of Golden Boy Promotions. Mayweather is a promotional free agent and usually hires Golden Boy to co-promote his events.
“[The group] is also in talks with Mayweather. Mayweather is going solo,” said Arum to the Manila Bulletin.
Arum told the paper that Mayweather reportedly doesn't want Golden Boy to be involved in the ongoing negotiations. Despite reports to the contrary, Arum says he is “seriously exploring a Mayweather fight.”
Given that your position is that Floyd is completely bound to Golden Boy, any effort by Floyd and Golden Boy to cut Top Rank out of the negotiations is itself the taste of one's own medicine for this case, and we're left in a position where again, Top Rank initiated this particular brand of pettiness.

I can't believe I'm being dragged down the Pacweather rabbit hole of stupidity, but I suppose covering one's ears and yelling about Floyd is often the best way to try to justify Arum's statements and actions.
purephase is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #167
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bumfuck, Egypt
Posts: 22,194
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
Again you're placing too much significance on Floyd's bullshit offer, but to review from November of 2011, before said dumb offer was made:
Given that your position is that Floyd is completely bound to Golden Boy, any effort by Floyd and Golden Boy to cut Top Rank out of the negotiations is itself the taste of one's own medicine for this case, and we're left in a position where again, Top Rank initiated this particular brand of pettiness.

I can't believe I'm being dragged down the Pacweather rabbit hole of stupidity, but I suppose covering one's ears and yelling about Floyd is often the best way to try to justify Arum's statements and actions.
I'm not justifying his actions. I'm explaining where they started to a bunch of morons that come on here and openly state they wish he were dead and can't accept that GBP is equally to blame here. What you quoted in no way indicates Arum was the one trying to cut out GB. It simply says Floyd was seeing what kind of deal he might be able to make without them. In the end, Floyd has used GBP for all his recent fights and would have done so under his offer to Pac. Not seeing that Arum is simply now turning these same terms on GBP is just fanboyizm. Blame Arum but if you don't realize the 'counter offer' was meant as a deal killer, well, you just aren't paying attention. GB doesn't want Mares facing Donaire. Even this piss poor matchmakers know he has no chance.
Hermit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #168
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 1644
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

I can honestly say I have never seen someone shovel so much shit out of their mouth like Hermit is right now. It's sickening truthfully.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #169
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,422
vCash: 233
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Wrong again. Arum's response to the 'offer' was based on giving GBP a taste of their own medicine. Deny it if you must to keep you illusion going though.

Trying to leave out the Mayweather, Oscar, Arum history is as retarded as it gets. I know you have to do so to assign blame where it suits your preconceived notion but it doesn't work to anyone looking at this objectively.
well yeah Arum turned down the offer because he doesn't like Oscar and is a petty, childish, greedy, bitch.

But that's why we are all pissed off because he's letting that bullshit come in between making big fights get made
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #170
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm not justifying his actions. I'm explaining where they started to a bunch of morons that come on here and openly state they wish he were dead and can't accept that GBP is equally to blame here. What you quoted in no way indicates Arum was the one trying to cut out GB. It simply says Floyd was seeing what kind of deal he might be able to make without them. In the end, Floyd has used GBP for all his recent fights and would have done so under his offer to Pac. Not seeing that Arum is simply now turning these same terms on GBP is just fanboyizm. Blame Arum but if you don't realize the 'counter offer' was meant as a deal killer, well, you just aren't paying attention. GB doesn't want Mares facing Donaire. Even this piss poor matchmakers know he has no chance.
Why in the hell was the counter-offer any more of a dealkiller than the initial offer, which you yourself have already said was more "a taste of their own medicine" than anything legitimate? Your need to simultaneously frame this as a warranted response to Floyd bullshit whilst also portraying the turning down of the offer as some kind of duck/protection by Golden Boy is "fanboyizm" at its finest.

As for the tangential issues you seem so intent on making this about: So Mayweather's with Golden Boy when it helps your argument and isn't with them when it doesn't? Good to know. If Floyd had the capability to see what he could do without Golden Boy, then it is absurd to characterize his dumb offer (made when there was essentially already no chance of the fight taking place in the first half of 2012) as cosigned by the company, even if they would have handled the promotion.

This is what Arum himself was saying at that time:
Quote:
"I've never worked like this, really," Arum said. "If we get Manny and then Floyd to agree on a package, then my company would take a functional role, we would handle the nuts and bolts, the boxing aspects of the promotion. Of course, these investors, having made a fabulous investment in the fight, would have plenty to say about every aspect of it.
Quote:
"It's understandable because Richard is on the outside looking in," Arum said. "Who knows and who cares what Richard says? They have no contract with Floyd, that's fact. Just like Manny, aside from our contract with him, can choose who he wants representing him so can Floyd do the same thing. We don't terll Floyd or Manny who they can have working for them."
Schaefer certainly took it as Top Rank trying to cut Golden Boy out, especially when Koncz, who even Pacquiao fans realize is little more than a Top Rank lackey, went to Mayweather's gym.
purephase is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #171
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,569
vCash: 115
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
well yeah Arum turned down the offer because he doesn't like Oscar and is a petty, childish, greedy, bitch.

But that's why we are all pissed off because he's letting that bullshit come in between making big fights get made
again son....you have to consider the financial aspect in boxing.
dodong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #172
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,422
vCash: 233
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodong View Post
again son....you have to consider the financial aspect in boxing.
look at Arum's statement. Money has nothing to do with why he turned down the offer.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #173
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,569
vCash: 115
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
look at Arum's statement. Money has nothing to do with why he turned down the offer.
he may not have said it but why would he give up his promotional rights on rios against lucas when rios is the draw?

vanes for canelo would have been a more doable proposition.
dodong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #174
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,422
vCash: 233
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodong View Post
he may not have said it but why would he give up his promotional rights on rios against lucas when rios is the draw?

vanes for canelo would have been a more doable proposition.
again look at the statement. It didn't matter who Oscar offered.

Arum turned down the deal on the principle of trading fighters and then went on to insult Oscar.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #175
MexicanMuscle
Mexican Powerhouse
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
again look at the statement. It didn't matter who Oscar offered.

Arum turned down the deal on the principle of trading fighters and then went on to insult Oscar.
He's said many similar comments before as well. Arum acts like a total diva. This isn't the first time he's shot down propositions from GB. He is just a stubborn, greedy piece of shit, that is ****ing up good fights.
MexicanMuscle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #176
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,569
vCash: 115
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
again look at the statement. It didn't matter who Oscar offered.

Arum turned down the deal on the principle of trading fighters and then went on to insult Oscar.
you can't really blame him for that reason then, but oscar's offer itself is an insult.

how could you and oscar even think that tr would give up their promotional rights on a fighter who's going to be the draw for that fight??
dodong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #177
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,569
vCash: 115
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanMuscle View Post
He's said many similar comments before as well. Arum acts like a total diva. This isn't the first time he's shot down propositions from GB. He is just a stubborn, greedy piece of shit, that is ****ing up good fights.
you and dball should read up more on the business side of boxing.
dodong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #178
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,422
vCash: 233
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanMuscle View Post
He's said many similar comments before as well. Arum acts like a total diva. This isn't the first time he's shot down propositions from GB. He is just a stubborn, greedy piece of shit, that is ****ing up good fights.
exactly man. Arum just straight up will not work with Oscar. Has nothing to do with the offer Oscar made or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodong View Post
you can't really blame him for that reason then, but oscar's offer itself is an insult.

how could you and oscar even think that tr would give up their promotional rights on a fighter who's going to be the draw for that fight??
are you serious?
Arum's initial offer was a damn insult. He told Oscar to **** off and leave while he takes his fighter for himself.

Arum has made two statements about Mares vs Donaire:

First one: Mares can fight Donaire after his contract runs out with GBP

Second one: Mares can fight Donaire, but I have to pay Mares myself and GBP can't be involved

But you think GBP is trying to insult Arum?
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #179
MexicanMuscle
Mexican Powerhouse
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodong View Post
you and dball should read up more on the business side of boxing.
How much money are we the fans getting because of Arum's savy "business" deals?

You act as if Arum can't make any money by co promoting. If anything he would stand to gain more, because there are some huge crossover fights that can be made. There would be more than enough money for both promoters to split. Arum doesn't want to work with Oscar, not because of the money, but because he doesn't like when he isn't fully in charge. He knows he can't screw over Oscar like he does his fighters, so it pisses him off. He doesn't like Floyd for the same reason.
MexicanMuscle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #180
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 928
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

couldn't Donaire override anything what his promoter says?

Its still in Donaire's court.
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013