Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who's been Pacquiao's most Prime opponent?
Timothy Bradley 49 29.70%
Juan Manuel Marquez (Fight 3) 4 2.42%
Antonio Margarito 3 1.82%
Miguel Cotto 12 7.27%
Ricky Hatton 1 0.61%
Marco Antonio Barrera 28 16.97%
Erik Morales (Fight 1) 21 12.73%
Juan Manuel Marquez (Fights 1 & 2) 47 28.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #31
Kid Cincinnati
GOOD BOY NATION
ESB Addict

vCash: 0
Default Re: Who has been Pacquiao's most "Prime" opponent?

All those guys were prime when he fought them, with the possible exception of Juan in the third fight, who had already started his downward slide. Oscar was past it when he fought him, and Mosely was deroided and past it.
Kid Cincinnati is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #32
prelude
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
man you're a ****ing clown. No way Cotto was as in his prime as undefeated Bradley or Marquez in the first 2 fights.
Oh we forgot, Cotto was shot to shit when Pac fought him. It was until Floyd fought Cotto that Cotto became prime .
prelude is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
I kinda hope Pac wins next week because I'm afraid what would happen to you
Wide eyes, open jaw, devastation, and tears, followed by angry screams and foot-stomps...then violently tearing numerous posters off of the bedroom wall.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #34
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1p00pk View Post
course not, his physical peak ended as well as his mentality as an undefeated fighter is gone. But this version is better than the cotto that fought pacquiao. At least he had a trainer, better mentality than when he fought pac.

you can't be serious this is honestly just to say that pacquiao defeated the better cotto than mayweather. The truth is both guys never beat him at his prime but the conditions were much better for cotto at 154 when he fought floyd.

His physical prime was before the margarito fight, from the start of his welterweight reign to margarito. While he was at his best against margarito
cotto was much faster at WW. his jabs were much sharper than the ones encountered by floyd. and he is much fresher (about 3 yers younger). he took a knee against margo to live and fight another day. everyone thought he was finished after that but he beat clottey. no one has ever dominated clottey before even margo.

Quote:
oh.......... my.......... God

There's is absolutely no hope for you. Pacquiao's balls are so deep down your throat, it seems like it's impossible for anybody to possibly pull them out
I'm truly sorry man. I didn't know things got this bad. I kinda hope Pac wins next week because I'm afraid what would happen to you
nice counter-argument.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #35
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 928

everyone says Mosley was shot to shit, but Pac knocking his ass on the floor and making him run is/was a good feat.
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #36
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
Oh we forgot, Cotto was shot to shit when Pac fought him. It was until Floyd fought Cotto that Cotto became prime .
of course flomos and some hardcore cotto apologist would say that that cotto was the worst version of cotto ever. not actually the case if they just watched the first two rounds until cotto was hit by a game changer. pac actually changed game-plan in order to entice cotto to trade and abandon his jab where he did great in round 1.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
jan_fan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
cotto was much faster at WW. his jabs were much sharper than the ones encountered by floyd. and he is much fresher (about 3 yers younger). he took a knee agaibst margo to live and fight another day. everyone thought he was finished after that but he beat clottey. no one has ever dominated clottey before even margo.

nice counter-argument.
That's precisely what I saw in the Pacquiao fight. His boxing skills, his jabs were there and they were really good ones. Cotto may have encountered some difficulties in those stages in his career but his skills were really there. He was beating Pac to the pulp when he started boxing him.

I won't argue with some of Cotto's 'mental illness' issues that time but the one thing I'm sure, his skills were displayed there and his skills were great.
jan_fan is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #38
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Cotto at his worst was still a very good fighter, but it's plain to see he was at his worst with Joe Santiago against Pacquiao. Hunched over far too much, wide punches, off balance, paying no attention to foot placement, over-committing and telegraphing his jab, etc.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #39
Jorrvaskr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

where's the Shane Mosley option?
Jorrvaskr is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #40
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
yeah I know english is your second language, but if you could read, you'd see I already said Cotto wasn't shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Wide eyes, open jaw, devastation, and tears, followed by angry screams and foot-stomps...then violently tearing numerous posters off of the bedroom wall.
I can totally see that now

Quote:
nice counter-argument.
this shit is simple man.

Who was MORE in THEIR respective prime?
Bradley or Cotto?
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #41
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Cotto at his worst was still a very good fighter, but it's plain to see he was at his worst with Joe Santiago against Pacquiao. Hunched over far too much, wide punches, off balance, paying no attention to foot placement, over-committing and telegraphing his jab, etc.
wide punches because he was forced into brawling. watch round 1 and you would see cotto maintining his game plan with his usual straight and sharp jabs that kept pac at bay and actually took that round in the 3 judges eyes. pac was just faster and confused cotto with his angles. it also helped that pac enticed cotto to come inside by covering up.

i believe that if cotto just maintained discipline, he could have finished the fight and even have a good chance of winning on points.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #42
jan_fan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorrvaskr View Post
where's the Shane Mosley option?
Are you trying to make fun or something>?
jan_fan is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #43
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Erik Morales, that WAR really took something outta him!
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #44
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan_fan View Post
That's precisely what I saw in the Pacquiao fight. His boxing skills, his jabs were there and they were really good ones. Cotto may have encountered some difficulties in those stages in his career but his skills were really there. He was beating Pac to the pulp when he started boxing him.

I won't argue with some of Cotto's 'mental illness' issues that time but the one thing I'm sure, his skills were displayed there and his skills were great.
exactly. those "mental issues" that you are saying is the way cotto would flinch everytime he gets hit. i think that's the effect of the margarito fight. but physically, it was still a fast cotto with his boxing skills intact. that's why i laugh at people that time (mostly flomos) who said cotto was shot.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #45
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
wide punches because he was forced into brawling. watch round 1 and you would see cotto maintining his game plan with his usual straight and sharp jabs that kept pac at bay and actually took that round in the 3 judges eyes. pac was just faster and confused cotto with his angles. it also helped that pac enticed cotto to come inside by covering up.

i believe that if cotto just maintained discipline, he could have finished the fight and even have a good chance of winning on points.
Being forced into brawling is a symptom of not having a proper corner. Look at the way he was punching leading up to the second knockdown-so much of his weight on the front foot, right and left looping all over the place before the side-step + left uppercut knocked him down. In all the wars he'd been in, Cotto was never so sloppy when exchanging, and never looked so helpless and clueless once dropped. Before that fight and since then, his defense and punching form and balance and lateral movement has looked better. I'm not discrediting Pacquiao's win, but Cotto was unprepared tactically and it showed in his mechanics.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum