Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: What result do you predict?
Price by KO 120 74.07%
Price on points 4 2.47%
Draw 1 0.62%
Thompson by KO 34 20.99%
Thompson on points 3 1.85%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #46
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160
Default Re: David Price Vs Tony Thompson in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Tell me what Thompson has ever done? Who has he beaten? Bombing away old Thompson who was never that good to begin with is going to prepare him for Wlad? You're deluded. Its a cash fight. When Price steps up, he's going to fall, hard.
Who do you think they should have chosen instead? Bearing in mind they want an american to raise his profile there. Although I think he shouldn't be facing another old guy, looking at who else is available from the USA it's not such a bad choice.
Remember he is not looking to go straight from Thompson in Wlad, it is a decent transition from where he is now to a top ten contender or 2 then to wlad.
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #47
I am tyler
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Price by KO. Thompson is past it, may give Price a few problems, but nothing too major.
I am tyler is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #48
Jаck
P4P King
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGART View Post
Thompson is an excellent pick for Price's next fight. Thompson is a solid veteran who is too past it to win but should still have enough left to make Price work and give him some rounds. When you consider the fight is only 2-3 months away, Price's 16th fight, and Thompson is probably a top 15ish heavyweight than this is a good fight.

After Thompson it would be good to see Price fight a younger guy though.Thompson, if the fight happens, would be Price's third straight guy 40 or over. Thompson next and Chisora around May-June would be a very credible schedule for Price.

Price will not fight Chisora, no. The way Skelton was shoving him against the ropes is telling me that an in-shape Chisora is likely to overwhelm Price and eventually knock him out.
Jаck is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #49
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jаck View Post
Price will not fight Chisora, no. The way Skelton was shoving him against the ropes is telling me that an in-shape Chisora is likely to overwhelm Price and eventually knock him out.
Didn't you claim Price would knock Povetkin out cold?
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #50
Jаck
P4P King
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Didn't you claim Price would knock Povetkin out cold?

I'd favour Povetkin to comfortably outpoint Price and Fury to knock him out.
Jаck is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #51
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc84 View Post
Who do you think they should have chosen instead? Bearing in mind they want an american to raise his profile there. Although I think he shouldn't be facing another old guy, looking at who else is available from the USA it's not such a bad choice.
Remember he is not looking to go straight from Thompson in Wlad, it is a decent transition from where he is now to a top ten contender or 2 then to wlad.
A rated Euro level fighter would be a better choice. Boytsov ,Helenius or even Chorisa. Thompson wont be a test for him. He might as well be still in the amatures the way he is going. Fury and Chorisa are younger and less experienced but have better records by miles. From what i can see, they are lacking major confidance in his camp.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #52
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jаck View Post
I'd favour Povetkin to comfortably outpoint Price and Fury to knock him out.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #53
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Post stupid statements , expect to be called out on it. Nice cop out.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #54
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
You're trollin me. All i did was ask you who Thompson ever beat and this is how you behave? Child.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #55
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 102

Quote:
You're trollin me. All i did was ask you who Thompson ever beat and this is how you behave? Child.
This is y'all beef, but Im a Thompson fan and you and Danebrogen are horribly underrating his LOC, his achievements in the HW division, and by doing so, you are also downgrading a good fight between a top 30 prospect and a top 30 veteran.

Thomspons last solid win was Harris. Who incidentally just schooled Edmund Gerber, winning 6 of 8 rounds. TTs wins over Marinaccio and Beck are record padders for sure, but they're not cans. Solid journeymen, and if TT was too far gone, he'd have lost one or both of these fights. Chazz Witherspoon was very nearly the guy to expose Mitchell. Had he won that fight, he'd been generally considered a top 30 himself. Like Harris, Witherspoon beats journeymen, and is a live dog to pull an upset on a prospect or a past it world level contender.
Thomspons rise to the top 10 began when he FINALLY got a step up fight vs serial can crusher, Vaughn Bean. A guy who had gotten 2 high profile title shots vs Holy and Moorer just a couple yrs prior. Had Bean beaten Thompson, he would have likely gotten a third shot as well.
Thompson took that win and refused to be swept aside. The Bean fight was supposed to be a coming out party, but instead it made him a thread to up n comers and protected HWs. He finally got another fight a yr later, but it would be nearly two yrs before he was allowed to step into the ring with another top 30 HW. This time, he fought a prime IRON CHIN, Dominic Guinn. He dominated Guinn like few others, and walked away with a WBC national title for his efforts.
He could have defended that title vs a no hoper like Beck or like Polley or Shepherd. Hell, Jason Gavern or Corey Sanders woulda been decent defenses, but instead, he chose to defend it vs top prospect, Timur Ibragimov. He routed Tiggy similarly to the way he routed Guinn. Good jab, solid and powerful L hand to keep em honest, and a R hook that would see both ironchinned fringe contenders defending their iron chinned reputations.

That win over Tiggy placed Thompson solidly into the top 20 and he would get his title shot when he dropped the national title and chose to fight for the WBO eliminator vs top contender, Luan Krasniqi. Krasniqi was no slouch. A great resume himself, he was dominating Lamon Brewster in his firs title bid. Nearly shutting the titlist out before succumbing to what is generally believed to be the best L hook since Joe Frazier. Krasniqi was determined to get his shot at another title, but Thomspon stood in his way. From bell to bell, for 5 rds, Thompson blistered Krasniqi with peppering jabs and laser guided Ls. He pounded him into submission and stopped him. Thomspon essentially ended Krasniqis career.

Ppl who dislike the K2, or are generally haterz, will look for holes in any resume. If it aint their favorite fighters, the other guys just flat out suck. But anyone who KSAB, knows that a guy like Thompson is a genuine contender. It took him too long to get proper representation in the sport, but once he did, he rose to the top. Here he is, 41 y/o, and past his best, but he's a coy fighter, with excellent power, a sturdy beard, and skills. A heart like few others, and a determination to be envied.

I voted Thompson by T/KO in poll. Not b/c I hate Price, but b/c I don't believe Thomspon is shot. He hasnt taken too much punishment. His chin is as sturdy as it needs to be, and he's got power and talent that none of Prices previous opponents had.
I'll admit, that TT looked slower last time out vs Wlad. It was a massacre really, but Price aint Wlad, and while Price SHOULD win this fight, I'm sticking with Thomspon to pull the upset. A rematch would give Thompson a final payday, Price his revenge, and cement both fighters as top contenders for their prospective eras.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #56
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #57
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Depends.

If Thompson shows up just to get paid, like he did against Wlad recently, Price has an easy night.

However, Thompson has also been a sparring partner for Klitschkos for some time, so Price isn't going to bring anything Thompson hasn't seen already...and from someone much better.

If Thompson buts some heart into it, it could go to a points decision and be a 50/50.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #58
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Depends.

If Thompson shows up just to get paid, like he did against Wlad recently, Price has an easy night.

However, Thompson has also been a sparring partner for Klitschkos for some time, so Price isn't going to bring anything Thompson hasn't seen already...and from someone much better.

If Thompson buts some heart into it, it could go to a points decision and be a 50/50.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #59
ludwig
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Tell me what Thompson has ever done? Who has he beaten? Bombing away old Thompson who was never that good to begin with is going to prepare him for Wlad? You're deluded. Its a cash fight. When Price steps up, he's going to fall, hard.
It's possible you are right, since Thompson is old, and seemed pretty demoralized after the Wlad fight.

However, Wlad himself (along with many other heavyweights) stated that Thompson was the toughest challenge out there. It's true Thompson doesn't have alot of big-name wins, but that's because he's universally ducked, even by Eddie Chambers!

Ws over T Ibragimov, Krasniqi, Harris, Witherspoon, and 2006 Guinn give him an advantage in resume over Price, who has only beaten Britbums.
ludwig is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #60
ludwig
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I predict Price will tap Fraudley as a sparring partner, much like Haye used Thompson for sparring vrs. Fraudley.
ludwig is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum