Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #46
Tyler_Durden
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I like David Price but...

I like Price, I rate him highly and IMO he's got the potential to be a world champion post-K2, but I'd like to see him against better opposition. I understand that he can only beat what's put in front of him, I understand that he's been kept active, but he's never been properly tested as a professional so far. In a way he's said that himself. Thompson is definitely a step up from Harrison and Skelton, but ATM Fury is fighting the better guys. And I don't rate him as high as Price.
Tyler_Durden is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #47
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
I don't usually do this lads especially about british fighters but i'm gonna have a little moan here...

What the **** have been the point in his last 2 fights? can someone tell me?

Audley Harrison & Matt Skelton, a combined age of 86 years old

And before people say "Well he needs fights to learn..." what exactly have these 2 fights taught him? that if he hits a old past it fighter they are gonna go down? Did they not know that already? at least get someone durable who can give him some rounds.

Now don't take this as me hating on the guy, I really like him, that's why it frustrates me, he comes across well in interviews and I think he has all the tools to go far (probably a world title) but for ****sake, don't try and sell me a fight against Audley Harrison.

I hope he steps up in class next time out, let's see what he can really do.

Because at the minute, it pains me to say this but Tyson Fury is taking the better fighters on.

And that's a sorry statement to make.
PRICE seems like a NICE guy. but i dont see him going very far. infact as soon as he faces someone half decent, who can take a shot and bang- price will fall hard.

but he gets hit waaay too much. his only defense is his footwork and fencing like motion with him big long arms. once guys have got past them, he gets caught and luckily for him they havent been massive bangers.
mcdermott caught him, and last night skelton was catching him almost everytime he got close.

again, we wont know until he fights someone on good on european/world level.
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #48
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
PRICE seems like a NICE guy. but i dont see him going very far. infact as soon as he faces someone half decent, who can take a shot and bang- price will fall hard.

but he gets hit waaay too much. his only defense is his footwork and fencing like motion with him big long arms. once guys have got past them, he gets caught and luckily for him they havent been massive bangers.
mcdermott caught him, and last night skelton was catching him almost everytime he got close.

again, we wont know until he fights someone on good on european/world level.
In fairness he has only been hit in those fights because he has been going for the KO, it is different to when he boxes normally.
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam249390 View Post
He could have vacated and fought Rogan eh?
Rogan beat them both handily a couple years back, so don't play that card. Price and Fury can't fight at the moment because neither will fight on the other's contracted TV dates, simple as that.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #50
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

He needs experience and in his last two fights he fought a southpaw and a mauler who are designed to get him fights, increase his profile while getting him the Lonsdale belt.

I'm not so critical when a fighter is fighting regularly and wants to get through the development phase of his career. I'll be critical if 2013 comes around and he is still fighting the likes of Michael Sprott instead of Thompson, Fury, Chisora, eliminators etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #51
Flemo83
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 807

boxing's all about timing. in and out the ring. in any other division a fighter wouldn't be expected to take on a fighter of klitschko's skill/expertise after 15-20 fights. sadly the heavyweight division hasn't got the talent for this and price and fury are gonna get there way too soon although maloney is holding price back as best he can which is no bad thing
Flemo83 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #52
adam249390
a249390
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyT View Post
Rogan beat them both handily a couple years back, so don't play that card. Price and Fury can't fight at the moment because neither will fight on the other's contracted TV dates, simple as that.
dont start with all the rogan beat them both *******s .
we would be here all day otherwise
well price smashed ***ton who stopped rogan twice blah blah blah
Fury vacated to fight 3 **** fighters, Price was mandatory and it would have happened if he had not vacated.
Obvioulsy it woudlnt have been as big as it is now but it still made fury look like a **** house
apart from chisora fury hasnt beat anyone better than who price has fought, and price has done it alot more convincing than fury
adam249390 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #53
supremo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Whats the rush? I thought both of them would have lasted longer, so did everyone around him, so it taught them a bit more about Price surely? builds his confidene, experience etc

I have doubts about his ability to establish his jab and keep opponents at a distaance like Wlad as early in their fights he hasnt been able to keep McDermott and Skelton at bay- how will he fare against better quality fighters applying pressure?
supremo is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #54
Jаck
P4P King
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I think the Harrison fight was great for Price. It didn't test him in any way but it did build up his profile a lot, so it served a purpose. I can't fault that matchmaking at all, even though I'd like to see Price in better fights. The Skelton fight is harder to defend but he's tough and should have given Price a bit of a test.

Holy ****
Jаck is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #55
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundy View Post
In fairness he has only been hit in those fights because he has been going for the KO, it is different to when he boxes normally.
ok, against mcdermott he was caught by a over hand right whilst throwing a upperut. i box and know that thats an easy shot to get caught with when throwing the uppercut.
but when he was pushed back on the ropes against skelton all his flows came crashing out. he leaned on the ropes square on and got caught with 3 flush shuts, instead of going side on ala dare i say it tyson fury last night who fought like a solid pro. it was difficult to catch him.

before i had this fight 50/50 but now i say tyson fury wins this.
i feel as though price's early KO's will be detrimental in his development as a professional boxer.
Big N Bad is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum