Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
The Guvnor
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Dietary and workout advice for weight gain

Alright lads, I'm wanting to add around a stone in muscle over a period of time, mostly to chest and shoulders, I figure my arms will be working in these exercises anyway. I play football so obviously the training I do away from this is going to be cardio and stamina stuff. On top of that I've got a high metabolism and can pretty much eat whatever I want and not add any weight. I'm 6ft and weight 11.5 stones, what sort of diet should I be implementing and what type of workouts should I be doing to achieve my goals? Thanks in advance and I also look forward to the piss take responses, they're always a good laugh too
The Guvnor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Dietary and workout advice for weight gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guvnor View Post
Alright lads, I'm wanting to add around a stone in muscle over a period of time, mostly to chest and shoulders, I figure my arms will be working in these exercises anyway. I play football so obviously the training I do away from this is going to be cardio and stamina stuff.
I understand wanting to add some muscle to your chest and shoulders but if you play football the majority of the muscle you add should go to your legs and core.

It's nice looking good and having an aesthetically pleasing upper body, but as with any sport that doesn't mean shit if you have weak, skinny legs.

Quote:
On top of that I've got a high metabolism and can pretty much eat whatever I want and not add any weight.
Maybe you can eat whatever you want... for a day. Consistently consume 500 calories above your daily maintenance every single day and you'll add mass just like every other human being on the planet.

Quote:
I'm 6ft and weight 11.5 stones, what sort of diet should I be implementing and what type of workouts should I be doing to achieve my goals?
Take what you consume now (maintenance calories) and add a snack or small meal which equates to around 250-500 calories to this amount. It doesn't matter what these calories are from. I found my maintenance calories then to make it easy started eating a different chocolate bar every day ranging from 250-280 calories. I'm adding mass with minimal fat gains.

Once you start adding around 1 pound a week (maybe slightly less if you want lean gains) maintain that consumption and work on it from there.

I know some people will bitch about this with the whole "That's too complicated or difficult" but the main thing I've found for diet is planning. Plan how many calories you need to consume and what time you're going to consume them. If you don't plan it you'll most likely fail. Planning has helped me a hell of a lot with sticking to a decent diet.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Track your food intake (protein/carbs/fat) so that you can actually quantify what "alot of food" is. You'd be surprised how many people think they have a very high energy expenditure, but in reality they just aren't eating a lot of food for a consistent amount of time.

As for workout routine, if you're pretty inexperienced go with a novice 5x5 programme
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
The Guvnor
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I understand wanting to add some muscle to your chest and shoulders but if you play football the majority of the muscle you add should go to your legs and core.

It's nice looking good and having an aesthetically pleasing upper body, but as with any sport that doesn't mean shit if you have weak, skinny legs.
My bottom half is bigger than my upper half, I'm happy where I am there. I just want that extra bit of size and upper body strength to go with it and I know diet's going to be an important part of that. Thanks for your advice, on the food sides, I've had people telling me white carbs for what I'm trying to do instead of all wholemeal stuff, would that be right?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
The Guvnor
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

bump
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
brixtonbeat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post

Take what you consume now (maintenance calories) and add a snack or small meal which equates to around 250-500 calories to this amount. It doesn't matter what these calories are from.
That's ****ing terrible advice. Of course it matters where the calories come from. Eating clean is imperative in gaining quality lean muscle mass.
brixtonbeat is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
brixtonbeat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I eat around around six times a day. If you are a hard gainer but are lifting hard, I would recommend eating 6 times a day and using supps.
brixtonbeat is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtonbeat View Post
That's ****ing terrible advice. Of course it matters where the calories come from. Eating clean is imperative in gaining quality lean muscle mass.
No, THAT is ****ing terrible advice. There is no such thing as eating 'clean'.

I advise you read this article and educate yourself on proper nutrition before you shoot down others with your subjective food classifications:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtonbeat View Post
If you went from consuming 2500 calories a day to consuming 1500 calories, those calories coming from chocolate cake, do you believe you wouldn't lose weight?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ofcourse you wouldn't, have you never heard of insulin?

Notsrs.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
cutthroat22

vCash: 213

I think his point might have been what's in the food. I know you know this but 4000cal from one source isn't always as good as 4000 from another otherwise wed all just eat doughnuts on our bulks. It's not as simple as just hitting a calorie target.
cutthroat22 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
I think his point might have been what's in the food. I know you know this but 4000cal from one source isn't always as good as 4000 from another otherwise wed all just eat doughnuts on our bulks. It's not as simple as just hitting a calorie target.
I don't think anybody is implying he should comprise his diet of just carbs and fat, I'm pretty sure Virus was assuming adequate protein intake.

Also, my first bit of advice was; "Track your food intake (protein/carbs/fat) so that you can actually quantify what "alot of food" is".

'brixtonbeat' then said 'Eating clean is imperative in gaining quality lean muscle mass', which is just flat out false, as clean food is completely subjective and has no meaning. I'm pretty sure you won't open a physiology textbook and read "You must eat clean".
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #13
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550

I am in the same boat as you, I tried this method and it helped me gain 10 pounds, only thing is if you slack you will lose it fast.

Drink a gallon, yes a gallon of milk a day. Whole milk. if that's to much drink half a gallon. Eat calorie packed foods. I eat every two hours unless im working. Eat some cottage cheese before bed, I liked putting some peaches or some fruit in there. NEVER BE HUNGRY.

I know a gallon seems like a lot, but it will really help you gain the weight.
deadhead is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing