Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #166
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Best cherry pickers of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin View Post
i can't believe i'm doing this, but... tyson bit a chunk out of lewis' leg in all that hustle and bustle. it wasn't staged in the slightest.
We both enjoy debating on here mate, so why don't we stop the name calling and all the insults, and enjoy the forum for what it is?

I apologise for the things I said in the previous threads.

Regarding this topic, you're right of course about what happened with Lewis's leg.

But I've seen the video numerous times, and it doesn't make sense.

Maybe Mike missed on purpose, but knew it would start a riot? I don't know. But we're talking about Mike Tyson here. A guy fighting for the heavyweight titles. I know he was shot at this stage but come on. Mike used to switch and he could fight southpaw. How far was that guy stood away from him?

He didn't graze him even, he completely missed.

Was he drunk?

Although we don't agree on things, you know a lot about boxing.

Just go and watch the video a few more times, and then get back to me, and give me your honest opinion.

I just can't believe that he could have missed from that distance.

Thanks!
Loudon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #167
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin View Post
stupid talk from you yet again... he cherry picked ruiz! he did the same to toney as he knew he was having huge problems with discipline and weight making. it was a big fight, but still a cherry pick on jones' part.

he knew what he was doing regarding the toney fight. i remember the build up to that fight.
He didn't cherry pick Ruiz, it just looks that way because he only fought Ruiz at heavy, and then came back for Tarver. But there was a lot more to it than that.

According to Roy, he had talks with Evander Holyfield and his team late 2001, just prior to Evander's final bout with John Ruiz. Apparently, pretty much everything had been agreed on, but Ruiz ended up beating Holy again.

After the fight, Roy was asked if he still wanted the fight, and according to Roy, he turned it down, because he didn't think he'd get any credit for it. So he decided to stay at 175 for a little while longer. He fought Kelly, couldn't get the rematch with Hop, and then he fought Woods. Around the time he was preparing for Woods, his promoter Murad Muhammad was making enquiries into a Ruiz fight. Roy told Murad to try and make the fight, because he'd beaten Evander, and he thought he himself would get more credit if he beat Ruiz, rather than Evander at that point.

It was never Roy's intention to just fight the one fight at heavy. After he'd beaten Ruiz, Murad tried to get him Tyson and Lewis, because before his fight with Vitali, Lewis seemed more than up for the fight. He saw it as an easy nights work for huge money. But after Vitali, he knew he'd got nothing left to give. Lennox and Manny never knew the Vitali fight would be his last. It was never planned as his last fight. But his performance against Vitali shocked him, and he knew it was time to let go.

Regarding Tyson, Roy was desperate for that fight! It would have been one of the biggest fights ever, even though Mike was shot at that stage. But Murad couldn't make the fight for various reasons. Roy's trainer Alton Merkerson, says that Roy left his Ruiz weight on for a while, in the hope of getting the Tyson fight. When it became apparent that he wasn't going to get it, he had to lose all of the weight for Tarver. Because throughout most of 2003, while Murad was trying to make big fights at heavy, Tarver was constantly baiting Roy at every given opportunity, and in the end, with his options limited, he gave in.

If you watch Roy's post fight interview after Tarver, he was even considering going back up to heavy for Tyson.

If you want more information on this, Alton Merkerson discusses Roy's "Tyson's weight" on the documentary titled Heart of a Champion, that's on YouTube.

If you want more info on how Murad Muhammad tried to make the other fights at heavy, you can see the interviews that he gave to F-Hype.com with Percy "No Mercy" Crawford about two years ago. You can simply type the info into google, and you'll see the links.

With regards to Toney, Roy was a big underdog going into that fight. Toney always had weight problems, and nobody made him sign for the fight, for the date that had been set.

Why did he sign the contract, if he knew he'd have trouble making the weight?

What was he doing in that condition in the first place, when he knew he was fighting Roy?

According to his manager at the time, Jackie Kallen, Toney felt great, and he thought he was going to win. Then after the fight, he complained of making the weight, and that he'd had flu. He then blamed the loss and everything on her, and shortly after, he went bezerk! He flew into a rage, and threatened to drive round to her house to shoot her, and all of her family!

All of this information, is in the book The Dark Trade.

In the post fight interview after the fight with Roy, the biggest mouth in boxing, congratulated Roy, and said he was moving up to 175. He never MENTIONED ANYTHING about a rematch. He knew he'd been beaten by the better man.

Thanks.

Last edited by Loudon; 12-01-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #168
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Loudon as always a good and insightful poster as far as the Rochi fight he was battling 2 things alcohol and the WBC ..Jones had to fight Rochi for the belt that was awarded to him after they took it off Rochi but Rochi no showed at the press conference for their fight and had a a ton of personal problems from what I read ..Add that to the fact that he chose to take the WBC to court so Roy had no choice but to find a replacement ..
Thanks for clearing that up mate!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #169
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
If anyone did the ducking it was Bowe of LL ..He couldn't get over that amateur loss to him .
I think it was business more than anything. I'm sure Bowe and his team knew Lewis was a risk, maybe Bowe was at a psychological disadvantage from the Olympics, but it sure didn't help that HBO offered Bowe easy millions for easier fights. Bowe and Rock Newman pimped out HBO, getting paid millions for mismatches like Dokes and Ferguson. Even the Holyfield rematch was expected to be a pretty easy fight.

I actually think Bowe being able to compete a high level during those Olympics with what was going on in his family life and win any medal at all was in itself, a great feat.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #170
Box702
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hands down maywether & pac you choose who's worse.Flomos-pactards begin .
Box702 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #171
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Lennox Lewis is a cherry picker despite the fact that he fought an undefeated michael grant and david tua in the same freakin year. At the end of his career he was willing to fight a prime vitali klitschko and hes being called a cherrypicker. I swear some of these trolls are just low iq idiots.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #172
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I also love the revionism with pacquiao haters. Most people thought he was going to get his butt whooped by either Hatton or Cotto, but now he beats them and is called a cherry picker because they had 1 freakin loss? Hello,, Pac had 3 losses heading into those fights, two by Ko. Now his wins over those two are downplayed because they had 1 ****in loss, its sad to know that boxing forums are littered with idiots.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #173
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
I think it was business more than anything. I'm sure Bowe and his team knew Lewis was a risk, maybe Bowe was at a psychological disadvantage from the Olympics, but it sure didn't help that HBO offered Bowe easy millions for easier fights. Bowe and Rock Newman pimped out HBO, getting paid millions for mismatches like Dokes and Ferguson. Even the Holyfield rematch was expected to be a pretty easy fight.

I actually think Bowe being able to compete a high level during those Olympics with what was going on in his family life and win any medal at all was in itself, a great feat.

Too bad they didn't fight around that time ,would have been a good scrap ..As far as pimping HBO really who hasn't pimped out HBO
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #174
Godsavethequeen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Andrade View Post
Any british fighter! Except Froch tbh
Get a life HoMo...
Godsavethequeen is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #175
crazy8s
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
I also love the revionism with pacquiao haters. Most people thought he was going to get his butt whooped by either Hatton or Cotto, but now he beats them and is called a cherry picker because they had 1 freakin loss? Hello,, Pac had 3 losses heading into those fights, two by Ko. Now his wins over those two are downplayed because they had 1 ****in loss, its sad to know that boxing forums are littered with idiots.
People do the same shit with Mayweather. People are rarely consistent when it comes to these two fighters.
crazy8s is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #176
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
November 06, 1986

With obvious pride, promoter Bob Arum stepped before microphones and cameras Monday in New York to announce that arrangements had been completed for the ``fight of the century.``

Arum, a lawyer and former Internal Revenue Service agent, is smarter than that.

What he has in hand is the boxing hoax of the ages: Marvin Hagler vs. Sugar Ray Leonard, April 6 in Las Vegas.

It`s the best fighter in the world against a guy who was knocked down in his last fight three years ago and retired because he couldn`t, or wouldn`t, take it anymore.

Hagler will be paid $12 million for 12 rounds, or less, and Leonard will get $11 million. All of it is guaranteed money with promise of more.

No one, no event, in the long history of sports ever has produced such income. Hagler-Leonard, Arum says, could gross an unworldly $100 million.

Such is the appeal of a major fight. But it`s strange, because this doesn`t figure to be much of a fight at all.

We have yet to find a knowledgeable boxing man who gives Leonard, the former welterweight champion, any sort of chance against Hagler, the destructive middleweight champion.

Early odds in Las Vegas list Hagler as a 4-to-1 favorite, but this is merely an invitation to bettors. The odds will swing heavily upward in Hagler`s favor.

The problem with this fight is that it should have been scheduled five days earlier, on April Fools` Day.

For if ever there were an awful joke in championship sports, it`s Leonard vs. Hagler for the World Boxing Council middleweight title.

Two of the sport`s governing bodies have refused to sanction the fight. Normally more accommodating, the World Boxing Association insisted that the fight must be scheduled for 15 rounds, its standard. The International Boxing Federation nixed it because its rules bar fighters who have had eye retina damage (Leonard).
I guess you didn't read the rest of my post.

From your article it looks like Arum tried to cherrypick Leonard but it got turned around on him. That's good on Sugar Ray but it doesn't change the fact that Leonard waited until Hagler was older, depressed and seen getting outboxed by Mugabi that Leonard finally decided to pounce on the opportunity. Good cherrypicking.

Duran II. Leonard's side RESEARCHED Duran's out of the ring habits and muscled a date accordingly. Nuff said.
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #177
kalunya5964
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
name all the guys floyd outweighed on the day of the fight
jmm!
kalunya5964 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #178
kalunya5964
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Fanatic View Post
"cotto is undefeated. dont forget that. he lost to 2 cheaters." floyd mayweather jr
Vicious Victor was a hungry young lion!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #179
kalunya5964
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
Watch him at 130 & 135, he was something really special.
I agree. His cherrypicking started I think at 140.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #180
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post

BOXING; Bowe and Lewis Are Fighting, But With Words and Dollars

By GERALD ESKENAZI
Published: May 14, 1993

"The zany heavyweight picture moved no closer to a showdown today despite a $12 million offer made by Riddick Bowe's manager to Lennox Lewis for a November match.
Rock Newman, who manages Bowe, passed around a letter today that he said he was sending to Dan Duva, who promotes Lewis. The letter proposes a pay-per-view fight with a $35 million net purse, $23 million going to Bowe and $12 million to Lewis...if Lewis doesn't accept the offer by Monday, the fight is apparently off."
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum