Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the officiall scoring of Mayweather/Cotto?
The Judges got it right 41 45.05%
It was too onesided in Mayweather's favor 32 35.16%
It wasn't as close as the judges scored it 9 9.89%
Draw 4 4.40%
Cotto should have gotten the decision 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #61
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

vCash: 1276
Default Re: What was your personal score card for Mayweather/Cotto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I really don't think it was just the bloat and the misplaced priorities in camp.

I don't even like Marquez against Mayweather, best version vs. best version at super feather in a time machine.

I agree, he's a stylistic nightmare for JMM no matter what. But the fact is, he did lose patience, got overly aggressive, and got picked off easily. As for any counterpuncher, patience and fainting, goading your opponent into attacking is essential, and he basically abandoned that during the fight. Granted, Mayweather is more intelligent than most, and it's hard to execute any form of cohesive gameplan against him, but I feel had JMM been more patient, he could have had a little more success. Add to that the fact that he's grown into the weight, and certainly regained the speed and reflexes that weren't there in the Mayweather fight, I think it's pretty clear he could do better. Win? No. Probably get within 4 rounds at best, but he could do far better than the shutout he suffered, no doubt.
Smokin' Joe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #62
mick557
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

8-4 type fight.

Judges must have been going by the Bob Sheridan commentary to have it that wide.
mick557 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #63
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick557 View Post
8-4 type fight.

Judges must have been going by the Bob Sheridan commentary to have it that wide.
I love Colonel Bob, I really do - but sometimes I think he scores using a Ouija board.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #64
mick557
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I love Colonel Bob, I really do - but I think he scores using a Ouija board.
I don't think Leonard Ellerbe could have done a better job cheerleading for Floyd that night. It was just strange how biased he was.
mick557 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #65
roversbowers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2844

i scored it 7-5 to floyd on the night (drunk supporting cotto). 2 weeks later it was shown in my hotel room in cuba and scored it 8-4 floyd
roversbowers is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #66
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP

vCash: 571

I wouldn't mind a rematch. If Cotto agrees to 8 oz gloves
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #67
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
I wouldn't mind a rematch. If Cotto agrees to 8 oz gloves
Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #68
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I agree, he's a stylistic nightmare for JMM no matter what. But the fact is, he did lose patience, got overly aggressive, and got picked off easily. As for any counterpuncher, patience and fainting, goading your opponent into attacking is essential, and he basically abandoned that during the fight. Granted, Mayweather is more intelligent than most, and it's hard to execute any form of cohesive gameplan against him, but I feel had JMM been more patient, he could have had a little more success. Add to that the fact that he's grown into the weight, and certainly regained the speed and reflexes that weren't there in the Mayweather fight, I think it's pretty clear he could do better. Win? No. Probably get within 4 rounds at best, but he could do far better than the shutout he suffered, no doubt.
If Marquez waits for Floyd he gets picked apart by Floyds jab. He has to attack. He's not gonna feint Mayweather into getting countered.

And really this aspect gets overrated. Marquez is at his best against Pacquiao when he gets off first. Its not so much about Marquez countering Pacquiaos punches infact when Marquez tries to counter Pac he usually lands but Pacquiao comes back with somehing that usually hurts Marquez.

Marquez is great at attacking Pacquaio when Pacquiao is out of position. Problem with Floyd he doesn't make those same mistakes Pacquaio does. So there is really nothing to counter
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #69
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
If Marquez waits for Floyd he gets picked apart by Floyds jab. He has to attack. He's not gonna feint Mayweather into getting countered.
Marquez can be effectively aggressive - just not against a Mayweather.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #70
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick557 View Post
8-4 type fight.

Only clear Cotto rounds were rounds 6-8. Please tell me what rounds other than those could be given to Cotto. Even in those rounds he took punishment. Infact round 8 which was really his last hurrah of the fight he took alot of punishment.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #71
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Marquez impatient vs Mayweather?

Under the circumstances what would you have instructed Marquez to do?
Stand center ring and wait for Mayweather to lead?

Marquez did that, but its one and out for Mayweather, the defensive arm extended, and the much shorter Marquez cant get within a foot of him.

Patience is not something that will work with a fighter of Mayweather's caliber and defensive safety first style. If you're shorter and slower you're not going to compete with Mayweather being patient.

Marquez kept getting hit with the jab and some followup. You sensed that during that time of success for Mayweather in which he was landing clean and effective, Marquez was chomping at the bit wanting Mayweather to get greedy and shoot for more. At one point in the fight where Mayweather was landing clean, Marquez signaled to Mayweather to bring it on, and Mayweather just smiled at his face as if to signal, "absolutely not, I know your game and I'm not going to give you the chance to implement it."
Marquez at center ring kept trying to bait Mayweather but in the absence of Mayweather not commiting to combinations, there was nothing really Marquez could do in the face of his opponent being quicker and faster on the trigger, Mayweather rarely throwing more than a one-two, and Marquez never having the chance to time and counter Mayweather off of thowing combinations.

A fighter of Marquez' size and speed only avenue against a non aggressive Mayweather is to get on the inside to roughouse.
Roughhouse with what? Marquez was to small to become the bully.

Patience is something I'd preach to a bigger longer fighter to keep in mind vs Mayweather, but not a shorter stockier fighter like Marquez.

At no point in the fight did Marquez become impatient vs Mayweather, he tried both leading, roughhousing, and his natural stayback and counterpunch mode. Mayweather was to quick, fast, strong, and young.
The notion that Mayweather outskilled Marquez is ridiculous.
You can have all the mental skill in the world, if you walk into a gunfight with a handgun and the other guy is carring an ooziie, you in trouble!
divac is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #72
Box702
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

7-5 floyd is about right at least that's what I had.
Box702 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #73
mick557
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Only clear Cotto rounds were rounds 6-8. Please tell me what rounds other than those could be given to Cotto. Even in those rounds he took punishment. Infact round 8 which was really his last hurrah of the fight he took alot of punishment.
So you're giving Cotto 3 rounds and you can't see how I could find one more round in the other 9 to give to Cotto.
mick557 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #74
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Gotta give Cotto credit for takin the beating he did in the 4th and 5th which were the rounds I expected him to concede the fight to Floyd, and coming back strong in the 6th and the 8th.

Oh and he hurt Floyd in the 6th. Floyd disguised it well but he surprised Floyd with a leaping left hook and Floyds legs werent totally there. Floyd played it off well but he was hurt no doubt in my mind. That alone puts Cotto in select company
Old 12-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #75
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Gotta give Cotto credit for takin the beating he did in the 4th and 5th which were the rounds I expected him to concede the fight to Floyd, and coming back strong in the 6th and the 8th.

Oh and he hurt Floyd in the 6th. Floyd disguised it well but he surprised Floyd with a leaping left hook and Floyds legs werent totally there. Floyd played it off well but he was hurt no doubt in my mind. That alone puts Cotto in select company
I saw that as well.

Mayweather has an ATG poker face, but you can tell when he's been surprised or hurt if you've been following him for a long time.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum