Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default That old cliché that fans from a certain neck of the woods 'know their boxing'

Belfast tonight. You will always hear commentators pedal the same old nonsense that the fans who go to Belfast shows 'know their stuff' like they are some mythical crowd who post on boxing sites all day, when they are not watching old fights on Youtube.

So Fury outboxes a dangerous opponent, & this 'know their stuff' crowd are booing like morons before the half way mark, expecting Fury to smash his smaller opponent out of there... hardly an educated crowd.

Same goes for Scotland, you often hear that the punters who turn up to watch big fights in Scotland 'know their boxing' & when the punters boo & jeer, the commentators use this as PROOF that the home fighter is underperforming, when the truth of the matter is that boxing crowds nowadays have next to no clue how to gauge the 'feel' of a fight, never mind how score one!

Just thinking out loud fellas, but I would like to see this lie that a crowd from anywhere in the UK are educated boxing fans booted into touch.

Truth of the matter is, that any poster here who attends a show probably knows more about boxing than anyone else there, apart from the fighters, trainers & promoters themselves. Spoken from experience, does anyone agree?

Or am I wrong, & we still have educated boxing crowds from differing parts of the UK & Ireland in late 2012?
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: That old cliché that fans from a certain neck of the woods 'know their boxing'

I heard a Scottish guy saying he knew boxing once

I think his name was Billy something or other.
Decy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: That old cliché that fans from a certain neck of the woods 'know their boxing'

Funny you made this thread Dunks, Watched the fight with my dad tonight he kept going ''pricks in the crowd moaning, ain't got a clue''.

We got talking about Belfast being one of fight towns where fans really know there thing like commentators always say and he went ''that was 25 years ago, now it's same as being in York Hall young lads rushing into toilets to shove shit up there noses''. It's a new era and times change, Belfast has it's great fans like any other city but you also get the tossers like tonight in every town and city. It's like when i went Mitchell vs Katsidis in the famed East End. The bollocks spouted around me was irritating to say the least people talking utter shite all night about fighters and the fights.

I'm waiting for a show in say like DeGale in Hull next week ''This crowd waiting for the action to pick up, they don't get much big shows up here. They've probably never heard of DeGale and Zuniga. Must be like a African tribe meeting the white man for the first time. Compelling viewing..''.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
Belfast tonight. You will always hear commentators pedal the same old nonsense that the fans who go to Belfast shows 'know their stuff' like they are some mythical crowd who post on boxing sites all day, when they are not watching old fights on Youtube.

So Fury outboxes a dangerous opponent, & this 'know their stuff' crowd are booing like morons before the half way mark, expecting Fury to smash his smaller opponent out of there... hardly an educated crowd.

Same goes for Scotland, you often hear that the punters who turn up to watch big fights in Scotland 'know their boxing' & when the punters boo & jeer, the commentators use this as PROOF that the home fighter is underperforming, when the truth of the matter is that boxing crowds nowadays have next to no clue how to gauge the 'feel' of a fight, never mind how score one!

Just thinking out loud fellas, but I would like to see this lie that a crowd from anywhere in the UK are educated boxing fans booted into touch.

Truth of the matter is, that any poster here who attends a show probably knows more about boxing than anyone else there, apart from the fighters, trainers & promoters themselves. Spoken from experience, does anyone agree?

Or am I wrong, & we still have educated boxing crowds from differing parts of the UK & Ireland in late 2012?
I'd say thats more the type of crowd in Belfast that would go to a Tyson Fury fight. He wouldn't have much of a fanbase over here.

Not the same crowd that would be going to see Carl Frampton.

In general theres alot of support for Boxing in Belfast, more than anywhere else in the UK i've been. Taxi drivers would be listening to fights and chat to you about boxing.
ArseBandit is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArseBandit View Post
I'd say thats more the type of crowd in Belfast that would go to a Tyson Fury fight. He wouldn't have much of a fanbase over here.

Not the same crowd that would be going to see Carl Frampton.

In general theres alot of support for Boxing in Belfast, more than anywhere else in the UK i've been. Taxi drivers would be listening to fights and chat to you about boxing.
That actually makes no sense. Regardless of where a fighter is from or where he is fighting, the art from a fans point of view, would and should be appreciated. I ****ing loath and detest the idiots who boo anyone in a fight situation.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
That actually makes no sense. Regardless of where a fighter is from or where he is fighting, the art from a fans point of view, would and should be appreciated. I ****ing loath and detest the idiots who boo anyone in a fight situation.
The guy is actually quite correct in what hes saying.

The ones who go to watch Fury and Rogan are,in general, ****wits who wouldnt know a left hook from a fishing hook. Most wouldnt have a clue about the fight game. The same people expect a big KO everytime and show their frustration quite early. Wait and see the trouble if and when Fury gets KO'd

Ive been going to the fights in belfast since i was a kid and i never seen the opposing fighter gettin booed. If a fighter came over and had a go, or was trying, he always got the respect of the crowd. You go youtube any McGuigan fights (for example) and you'll see booing was pretty much non existant. The honest reason why you dont see these good crowds at the fights now is because, quite simply, people know they're gettin took on. They know they're not gonna see a 'live' opponent or a genuine scrap. Look at the prices for the Fury fight. £130 ringside???????? .Whos fighting? Ali and Joe Louis???? What mug would pay that?

I suppose my point is this. The Belfast boxing crowd know a good fighter when they see one (like most places) but they can smell a chancer a mile away. Obviously theres still a few good decent boxing people who go to the fights now but they would be in the minority, surrounded by ****in dickheads, whereas in the past they would have been in the majority. The good, knowledgeable fans are still here, they just dont go to watch drivel anymore

EDIT. cant believe im agreeing with a guy called arsebandit (no savile)

Last edited by johnmaff36; 12-02-2012 at 01:59 AM.
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
Steampacket

Embarrassed to hear the booing in the Odyssey Arena. Unfortunately there appeared to be a fair smattering of bumpkins attending the fight. Anyone who enters the ring deserves respect in my book. Fury didn't get the appreciation for a solid boxing display against a fighter in Johnson who was crafty and unwilling to engage in the type of fight these idiots wanted to rant and bawl at.
Steampacket is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah its bullshit really.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm convinced that hardly anyone anywhere knows anything about boxing. Even the people who pay good money to watch it. But almost everyone claims they do. I always seem to end up sat next to retards at fights. Most of them don't even know the rules.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
B.A
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decy View Post
I heard a Scottish guy saying he knew boxing once

I think his name was Billy something or other.

You can see him at one of two locations...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
B.A is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post

No you're quite right, I remember the same being said about the Manchester crowd when Khan fought Kotelnik. A friend who went to the fight said that most people around him thought that Kotelnik was robbed
Journey Man is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Woodall kept saying they were booing Fury kinda hoping for the KO or something... WRONG, they were booing Johnson for being such an uninterested Tomato Can, bags don't punch back, and that was a 'theatrical' performance if ever there was one!!!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Big J
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It was a bit of a snoozefest. Even the ref had a word with them at the start of round 9 or 10, telling them that they were there to box.

It was frustrating as Fury would throw a couple of shots and then walk away, instead of trying to engage more in the fight and build on the previous good work that he had done. Smart boxing or jsut being too tentative? Johnson isn't the most exciting boxer and it was always likely that he would go further and further into his shell as Fury racked up the rounds.

Johnson was apparently going to blast him out late by drawing Fury onto him-both men referred to this in their interviews. Johnson isn't a huge puncher and barely landed anything of note, so there was almost literally no chance of this happening. He was there just to survive basically and thats what he did.

Disciplined from Fury. 4/5
Big J is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
Woodall kept saying they were booing Fury kinda hoping for the KO or something... WRONG, they were booing Johnson for being such an uninterested Tomato Can, bags don't punch back, and that was a 'theatrical' performance if ever there was one!!!
No. They were booing tyson at the end when he was announced a winner aswell. Ive said it before and ill say it again , its the part-time boxing , full time football followers which are the worst fans at live fights. They believe that their knowledge off football carries over into their knowledge of boxing when they know sweet **** all. I had one wanker full on argueing with me that pac and money were both trained by roach. He got arsey when i told him he was an idiot.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its a sign of the times about society in general i suppose.

Fury and Johnson didnt help themselves with their predictions about fight of the year and coffins etc instead of telling the truth, ie 'im going to box intelligently and if the Ko comes, it comes because theres a world title on the line next and its too valuable'. People probably felt they had been fed a line of shit.

I thought Fury boxed well enough, had impressive stamina and decent jab. His head is static when he throws combinations and he threw a lot of arm punches last night. He needs to make some serious adjustments before fighting Vitali imo
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum