Tommy wins by TKO 20 37.74%
Tommy wins by KO 19 35.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #46
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Oscar De la Hoya vs Thomas Hearns, 147, somebody gets KO'd, or decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
You may be correct, but stopping a prime Oscar was a difficult feat.

I'm aware of Tommy's infamous power, and he's certainly a class above, but I doubt he'd have his way with DLH to the extent of just sparking him out.

Could be wrong, though.

Well I never said it was gonna be easy, thats why I say IF it happens it would be in the later rounds, but I agree with you Tommy would have his hands full period.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #47
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: Oscar De la Hoya vs Thomas Hearns, 147, somebody gets KO'd, or decision?

Nobody is really saying this would be an easy task for Tommy, I dont care who you are a prime DLH could be very dangerous for anyone at 147.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #48
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Hearns wins big. Either takes a lopsided decision or stops Oscar mid-later rounds.

You need more than fast hands and a left hook to beat Hearns. The Trinidad fight is a poor example- Hearns isn't getting outboxed like Trinidad. Outboxing Hearns is a tall order for anyone, and Oscar isn't doing it. He got shook up and intimidated by the jab and right hand of Quartey... Hearns is a different animal altogether. If he thought Quartey hit hard, he'd fold against Hearns.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #49
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Tommy is alot better he was fighting in an era with the best which means when he lost he lost to a great fighter Leonard Hagler ect, If he was put into a weaker era a more general era we would all be saying Tommy easy, he was just put into an era with extreme talent.

Last edited by Theron; 12-01-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #50
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Hearns wins big. Either takes a lopsided decision or stops Oscar mid-later rounds.

You need more than fast hands and a left hook to beat Hearns. The Trinidad fight is a poor example- Hearns isn't getting outboxed like Trinidad. Outboxing Hearns is a tall order for anyone, and Oscar isn't doing it. He got shook up and intimidated by the jab and right hand of Quartey... Hearns is a different animal altogether. If he thought Quartey hit hard, he'd fold against Hearns.

The Tito fight is a bad example..
Old 12-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #51
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

But why is the Trinidad fight a poor example?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #52
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
But why is the Trinidad fight a poor example?
I cannot speak for him, but for myself. Tito was a left hook guy. His right was a clean up punch, but his left hook was his bread and butter. A guy watched out for that in the fight. With Tommy his right hand was his bread and butter set up by a jab which he would pick guys to the body and head with and then swell them up softening them up for the right. I think the right of Hearns would be hard for Oscar to stand up to or avoid. If you look at the guys he fought, no one had a right like Tommy, although I think Oscar is one of the best fighters of the lat 15 years. He should have waited to go to 147. At 140 he had a great left hook and was a little faster.
Tommy usually was beaten by himself and his need to make fights exciting and land his punches. If he sat back and picked guy up and down to the body and head like he liked to do, he could have won any fight easy. He was that quick. The style which gave Hearns trouble are the pressure guys. Not Oscar's style. But Oscar would not go down in one or two rounds, I think he goes into the late rounds.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #53
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Oscar was shown up every time he fought a real top fighter, quits or is stopped due to an accumulation of punches.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #54
DavidChao
A contender,.. a somebody
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai C View Post
Holyfield, Morrison. Foot movement is more effective than head movement depending on the opposition. If you're walking forward or standing still with head movement, it can become predictable. Lateral movement along with head movement can be more confusing for a flat footed hard puncher. Many times Frazier slipped right into shots. Not just in the Foreman fight.

I think Frazier's defense tends to get underrated or overrated from my own biased review of what I hear around me. However, I do think many can agree that Frazier's defense wasted a lot of energy, was not efficient, and seemed erratic and with many holes. It wasn't just missing something, it was missing a lot of things. Amongst them is the fluidity you saw with Mike Tyson's precise, terrifying, and yet guarded aggression.

Defense and offense was much better melded with one another from Tyson than Frazier, largely in part due to his fluidity, more movement variation and (in my opinion) greater punch variation than Frazier.
DavidChao is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #55
DavidChao
A contender,.. a somebody
ESB Senior Member

Also, I predict Tommy would win via TKO. DLH is resilient, speedy (albeit not slick, partially owing to his melanin gradient), and has a great chin. Otherwise, I'd call it as a Tommy KO.
DavidChao is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #56
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Hearns might score a late stoppage. DLH is good enough IMO to avoid being knocked cold by Hearns early doors.

I cant argue with that!...
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #57
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I cannot speak for him, but for myself. Tito was a left hook guy. His right was a clean up punch, but his left hook was his bread and butter. A guy watched out for that in the fight. With Tommy his right hand was his bread and butter set up by a jab which he would pick guys to the body and head with and then swell them up softening them up for the right. I think the right of Hearns would be hard for Oscar to stand up to or avoid. If you look at the guys he fought, no one had a right like Tommy, although I think Oscar is one of the best fighters of the lat 15 years. He should have waited to go to 147. At 140 he had a great left hook and was a little faster.
Tommy usually was beaten by himself and his need to make fights exciting and land his punches. If he sat back and picked guy up and down to the body and head like he liked to do, he could have won any fight easy. He was that quick. The style which gave Hearns trouble are the pressure guys. Not Oscar's style. But Oscar would not go down in one or two rounds, I think he goes into the late rounds.

And in my opinion when your talkin about Tito and Tommy..Your talkin apples and oranges
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #58
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChao View Post

I think Frazier's defense tends to get underrated or overrated from my own biased review of what I hear around me. However, I do think many can agree that Frazier's defense wasted a lot of energy, was not efficient, and seemed erratic and with many holes. It wasn't just missing something, it was missing a lot of things. Amongst them is the fluidity you saw with Mike Tyson's precise, terrifying, and yet guarded aggression.

Defense and offense was much better melded with one another from Tyson than Frazier, largely in part due to his fluidity, more movement variation and (in my opinion) greater punch variation than Frazier.
Very well said my man!..Although Joes defense was exhausting, but with a better fluidity and precision fighter like Tyson you are gonna have more punch variation.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #59
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

If Joe's defense was so tiring he sure wore it well because this was a man who came into every fight ready to go the distance if he had too.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #60
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
And in my opinion when your talkin about Tito and Tommy..Your talkin apples and oranges
probably. Both offensive fighters, that is their similarity.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum