Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Added explanation of the "Double KO" scenario to the original post.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YUL
Posts: 38,158
vCash: 5685
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

I don't think defense is often overlooked.

And the way that effective aggression is described makes it look like a subcategory of clean punching when in fact it's really it's own category.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
I don't think defense is often overlooked.

And the way that effective aggression is described makes it look like a subcategory of clean punching when in fact it's really it's own category.
I respectfully disagree about Effective aggression. Without clean punching, its just called aggression.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,188
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Nevertheless, aggression tilts extremely close rounds time and time again.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
I respectfully disagree about Effective aggression. Without clean punching, its just called aggression.
Marciano would disagree.
Windigo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Ring Generalship - If a fighter is able to control the pace and style of the fight and impose his style on the other fighter, he is winning in the Ring Generalship category. For example: A "brawler" will try to drag a "boxer" into an inside fight by moving forward and cutting off the ring, whereas the "boxer" will try to keep the "brawler" at a distance using his legs and his jab. It is important for the judges to understand the style of each fighter to properly score Ring Generalship.
And what if the fighter adapts during the fight or enters the fight with a different game plan than normal. IMHO for a judge to base their decision on past fights is a mistake.
Windigo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Gangnam
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 75
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Nice
Gangnam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
keith
ESB OG
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Here to annoy the looney left
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Very well done except for the knockdowns part. There is no rule that states you HAVE to award a fighter a 10-8 round for scoring a knockdown. In fact it is quite possible to LOSE a round while scoring a knockdown. (See holyfield-Moorer). If fighter A outlands fighter B 30-5 in the round and suffers a a flash knockdown it would be RIDICULOUS to score the round 10-8 for fighter B.


Keith
keith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #24
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Very well done except for the knockdowns part. There is no rule that states you HAVE to award a fighter a 10-8 round for scoring a knockdown. In fact it is quite possible to LOSE a round while scoring a knockdown. (See holyfield-Moorer). If fighter A outlands fighter B 30-5 in the round and suffers a a flash knockdown it would be RIDICULOUS to score the round 10-8 for fighter B.


Keith
Absolutely agreed. Another example would be Calvin Brock vs. Jameel McCline... I think round 5, Brock battered McCline around the ring and got knocked down hard. Got back up and continued the battering. 10-9 round for McCline.

I assume you are talking about Holyfield - Moorer I, where Moorer was down in the 2nd? IMHO that round was 10-8 for Holyfield.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
And what if the fighter adapts during the fight or enters the fight with a different game plan than normal. IMHO for a judge to base their decision on past fights is a mistake.
interesting and i agree with this.

it's nice to see this informative thread stickied!
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #26
keith
ESB OG
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Here to annoy the looney left
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
Absolutely agreed. Another example would be Calvin Brock vs. Jameel McCline... I think round 5, Brock battered McCline around the ring and got knocked down hard. Got back up and continued the battering. 10-9 round for McCline.

I assume you are talking about Holyfield - Moorer I, where Moorer was down in the 2nd? IMHO that round was 10-8 for Holyfield.
You are the only one then. I scored it 10-10. Moorer landed 38 punches to Holys 9. Holy also held 8 times, and did not land a single punch after the knockdown

It was closer to a 10-9 round for Moorer than a 10-8 for Holy.


Keith
keith is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
And what if the fighter adapts during the fight or enters the fight with a different game plan than normal. IMHO for a judge to base their decision on past fights is a mistake.
As an astute boxing fan, you can observe this happening in a fight yourself, can't you? If you can, I would think that a good judge would be able to tell when this happens, judge whether or not the adaptation is successful and score accordingly. I don't see a contradiction here, good judges know what they are looking at.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,218
vCash: 3000
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Good stuff, Juice!

Just going to throw this out as an example of how one could/should score a round...

In the final round of the Peter Quillen-Hassan N'dam N'jkam tilt, HNN was in clear control throughout the first 2 minutes and thirty seconds of the round, and outlanded Kid Chocolate by a fair margin. But in pressing the issue, he left himself open for a counter that dropped him with less than 30 seconds remaining, and was subsequently dropped against just before the final bell.

How would you score the round?Would you place greater emphasis on the two kd's and call it 10-7, or call it a 10-8 round because Hassan did much better worth throughout ninety percent of the round...?

(I went with the latter option, but I wanted to hear you take and rationale for the score)
Drew101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #29
asero
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 75
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

what if boxer A is landing cleaning but there is no damage done?
what if boxer B is punching like a gassed fighter and throwing inaccurate punches but there is little damage done?

Who wins the round?
asero is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 372
Default Re: Boxing Scoring FAQ and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
You are the only one then. I scored it 10-10. Moorer landed 38 punches to Holys 9. Holy also held 8 times, and did not land a single punch after the knockdown

It was closer to a 10-9 round for Moorer than a 10-8 for Holy.


Keith
I watched the round again and I gotta say... I didn't feel like Evander was so dominated in that round that the knockdown didn't earn him a 10-8. But that's my opinion, and both of our scores would be legit.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013