Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #61
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 1171
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahkis View Post
Still pissed that Floyd and Pac never fought each other when they should've to determine the top dog of this bunch.
Yeah, this fight ain't happing, ever. Can't think of a more significant wasted opportunity to stage a fight this big. If it had happened in March 2010 when both guys were prime or close to prime, it would've been the biggest thing ever and the winner would have been a lock top 10 ATG. Can't believe how much money these two guys threw away because neither managed to get his shit together.
Faerun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #62
nahkis
Robbed
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ...again
Posts: 0
vCash: 75
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerun View Post
Yeah, this fight ain't happing, ever. Can't think of a more significant wasted opportunity to stage a fight this big. If it had happened in March 2010 when both guys were prime or close to prime, it would've been the biggest thing ever and the winner would have been a lock top 10 ATG. Can't believe how much money these two guys threw away because neither managed to get his shit together.
The fight could still well happen in 2013 imo, with all the money still in the table for both of them to make of it before they soon retire. Thing is like you said it really isn't the fight it would've been in 2010, not by a long shot.
nahkis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #63
p4p_kid
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scarborough, CA
Posts: 969
vCash: 75
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

great thread! passing of the torch as they say
p4p_kid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #64
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 1171
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahkis View Post
The fight could still well happen in 2013 imo, with all the money still in the table for both of them to make of it before they soon retire. Thing is like you said it really isn't the fight it would've been in 2010, not by a long shot.
Exactly, Pacquiao relies on speed and athleticism but sadly both tend to be the first things to go with age. He's regressing from fight to fight. Floyd has lost a lot of foot speed and is also not the boxer he used to be, albeit less deteriorated than Pac due to superior skills. This fight with both fighters at their peaks in late 2009/early 2010 would have invigorated boxing (Floyd's peak was arguably a few years earlier but he was still magnificent three years ago).
Faerun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #65
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 527
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerun View Post
Exactly, Pacquiao relies on speed and athleticism but sadly both tend to be the first things to go with age. He's regressing from fight to fight. Floyd has lost a lot of foot speed and is also not the boxer he used to be, albeit less deteriorated than Pac due to superior skills. This fight with both fighters at their peaks in late 2009/early 2010 would have invigorated boxing (Floyd's peak was arguably a few years earlier but he was still magnificent three years ago).
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #66
Big Left
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 75
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

it was a good lot of fighters at 140-147. Shame so mant fights were not made.

The 2 biggest misses were:

Hatton Cotto
Pac Mayweather
Big Left is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #67
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 75
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Not old enough to see the previous gens go. But I remember the batch of top dogs that departed when the current one took over. Tyson, Holyfield, Whitaker, Trinidad, Oscar, Tapia, Tszyu, among others. That was a sad time as well.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #68
MarioBrothers
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: crackhouse
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
Who would Donaire have to beat to make the ATG list for you?

For me, Mares, Rigondeaux, move up in weight to beat Salido, and Chris John or Gamboa.

I'd put him in my top 10 if he beats ALL of them.
winner of mares-moreno, john or salido. I don't have a list although I do think he is near ATG material. A win against john or salido alone is big, quite a big achievement for a guy who started from flyweight. A win against ponce or caballero would also be something. All the big names at 122 are a big step up compared to his current weight, a fight against anyone of them is no joke.

Personally I'd like to see him test the weight first, fight someone less relevant like juanma before taking on the big names, then probably chris john. Ponce is a dangerous fighter, honestly a bit scared for donaire if he ever cross paths with the man
MarioBrothers is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #69
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Left View Post
it was a good lot of fighters at 140-147. Shame so mant fights were not made.

The 2 biggest misses were:

Hatton Cotto
Pac Mayweather
Maragarito/May
Judah/Hatton
Williams/May
Judah/Pac
Moseley/Judah
Moseley/Williams

Ricky vs DLH would have done the biggest numbers of the last 10 years by far.
Nipple is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #70
maciek4
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,193
vCash: 1000
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Corrales dead

Castillo done

Gatti dead

Casamayor done

Campbell Freitas Juan Diaz Judah, Spinks all done
maciek4 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #71
Big Left
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 75
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Maragarito/May
Judah/Hatton
Williams/May
Judah/Pac
Moseley/Judah
Moseley/Williams

Ricky vs DLH would have done the biggest numbers of the last 10 years by far.
If only boxing had a governing body worth a damn that could actually match make for us and ensure the right fights get made. as it is now each camp is an island
Big Left is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #72
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 12,038
vCash: 0
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor_otsky View Post
Hate to say this but...


Aherm..


You missed Sergio. He's not even done yet.
And Morales. And move up a few weights......Froch, Kessler, BHOP, Klitschkos. Cunningham and Adamek having a twilight rematch.

Yeah, there are transitions going on in all the wieght classes and theres dozens of great fighters ready to ride off into the sunset.

Let's hope that BHOP, Tarver, RJJ, and Holyfield don't try to continue into the next generation.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #73
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,334
vCash: 400
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioBrothers View Post
out of that new generation, I already have ward and donaire as having potential to crack the ATG list. Donaire more so because of the number of opportunities and names to be fought near his weight class
yeah I've been saying that for a while. Donaire has a lot of roads for him to reach greatness

Mikey Garcia
Gary Russel Jr
Mares
Rigo
Moreno
Santa Cruz
Chris John
Salido
Daniel Ponce De Leon

now half of these probably won't happen anyways, but if he's able to even get half, he'll be great
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #74
jan_fan
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
Who would Donaire have to beat to make the ATG list for you?

For me, Mares, Rigondeaux, move up in weight to beat Salido, and Chris John or Gamboa.

I'd put him in my top 10 if he beats ALL of them.
Not so fast pal

It depends on how those fighters are gonna be built up in the future
jan_fan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #75
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 12,038
vCash: 0
Default Re: This Generation is Ending. I'll explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
yeah I've been saying that for a while. Donaire has a lot of roads for him to reach greatness

Mikey Garcia
Gary Russel Jr
Mares
Rigo
Moreno
Santa Cruz
Chris John
Salido
Daniel Ponce De Leon

now half of these probably won't happen anyways, but if he's able to even get half, he'll be great
Paint me a loony, but I see signs of greatness in Danny G and Tyson Fury. Also, love him or hate me, Broner and Ward are gonna be greats even if they take a couple Ls as they move up and down for competition.

Shout out to Donaire, Jennings, Mares, Kirkland, Caneloe, Helenius, and Pulev as well. They might not be Goats, but they're all looking bright for HOF type careers thus far, even with a couple bumps in the road.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013