Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 12-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default 140 Khabib WBA, Provodnikov WBO, Shafikov IBF

The Russian contingent at 140 is all making their move to the top at the same time and im excited to see them all tested against the best in the division.

Allakhverdiev - Is the WBA and IBO Champion. Garcia has the WBA Super & WBC belts with Matthysse being the WBC Interm Champ and he's fighting on the Garcia/Judah undercard so looks like Garcia will Unify that WBC situation first in a superfight with Lucas. That would be good for Khabib to have a couple more fights before facing the elite of the division.

WBA top 10 before Khabib/Joan fought

1. Joan Guzman
2. Khabib Allakhverdiev
3. Amir Khan
4. Souleymane M’Baye
5. Karim Mayfield
6. Antonio Lozada Jr.
7. Johan Perez
8. Volodymyr Kravets
9. Vicente Mosquera
10. Pablo Cesar Cano

Defending against a couple of these guys would be beneficial for him to keep improving as a fighter.

Provodnikov - Ruslan and Rios have been ordered to fight for the vacant WBO belt since JMM moved up to fight Pacquiao. If Rios can get a money fight against Pac/JMM winner he may take that instead (Alverado is #3) but Ruslan will get a shot at the belt. I would favor Rios especially with the syle matchup and Ruslan's history with swelling and cuts but he certainly has a chance.

I don't think anyone is physically stronger than Provodnikov at 140 including Rios and he's been working on his footwork, movement and all around boxing ability recently. His defense has never been the best but he's as tough has they come, can punch and wouldn't be a easy fight for anyone especially another banger like Rios or Alverado.

Shafikov - With his dominant win over Mensah he's now rated #2 in the IBF

1. Zab Judah (fighting Garcia)
2. Denis Shafikov
3. Mike Alvarado
4. Kendal Holt
5. Brandon Rios

A title eliminator against Alverado may be a possibility if he's still rated at #3 since the Rios loss. That would be a tough fight especially in the US as i cant see him stopping Mike and winning rounds convincingly against him with a swarming approach would be difficult lending itself towards close rounds in additon to the obvious danger of being hurt himself.

He's going to have it tough if he wants to be a real factor in the division and with guys like Alverado, Rios, Garcia, Matthysse he'll have to show that his boxing and swarming can be effective against big, hard punching guys. I think a fight against the IBF Champion PEDerson would be a easier fight than either of the four named above although still a difficult one.

Shafikov said that he walks around under 145lbs so his team thinks moving to 135 might be smart and he'll probably end up fighting at both. Considering his position at #2 IBF at 140 i cant see them turning down a Title Eliminator oppertunity but if he were to lose a drop down to 135 seems likely.

Any thoughts on the fighters themselves or the likely matchups for them mentioned above?

Last edited by Vysotsky; 12-02-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
globeman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1300
Default Re: 140 Khabib WBA, Provodnikov WBO, Shafikov IBF

Russians

Sorry I cant Add anything Im not trolling but are these guys really Russians. They look promising none the less.

Allakhverdiev-Chechen or Dagestani.
globeman is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by globeman View Post
Russians

Sorry I cant Add anything Im not trolling but are these guys really Russians. They look promising none the less.

Allakhverdiev-Chechen or Dagestani.
Российский, feel better?

Khabib is from Dagestan, Shafikov a Bashkir from the Southern Urals and Provodnikov a Mansi from the Northern Urals. They're all Russian citizens belonging to ethnic groups that are indigenous to Russia whose folk have lived on their land for well over a Millenium. Funny how people have no problem calling an African "British" yet those same people wont call a Bashkir like Shafikov whose people are actually from that land Russian. The marvel and hypocrisy of liberal indoctrination.

With that addressed how about we talk about the boxers and division.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Российский, feel better?

Khabib is from Dagestan, Shafikov a Bashkir from the Southern Urals and Provodnikov a Mansi from the Northern Urals. They're all Russian citizens belonging to ethnic groups that are indigenous to Russia whose folk have lived on their land for well over a Millenium. Funny how people have no problem calling an African "British" yet those same people wont call a Bashkir like Shafikov whose people are actually from that land Russian. The marvel and hypocrisy of liberal indoctrination.

I'm Russian and don't really consider Alakhverdiev Russian tbh.. I'm sure he'd refer himself as from Dagestan, or at least thats how the guys from there I've come across comnsider themselves.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Rocky
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Российский, feel better?

I dont call an african british, and i dont call them fighters you mentioned russian.
Rocky is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
I'm Russian and don't really consider Alakhverdiev Russian tbh.. I'm sure he'd refer himself as from Dagestan, or at least thats how the guys from there I've come across comnsider themselves.
I was noting the irony of Brits and Yanks abandoning their religion and all of a sudden becoming Tribalists when it pertains to Eurasia. I do find it more practical to call Provodnikov Russian than referring to him as a Mansi from the Khanty–Mansi Autonomous Okrug.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I was noting the irony of Brits and Yanks abandoning their religion and all of a sudden becoming Tribalists when it pertains to Eurasia. I do find it more practical to call Provodnikov Russian than referring to him as a Mansi from the Khanty–Mansi Autonomous Okrug.
From memory, think Provodnikov is mixed, part Russian, but considers himself Mansi. They are one of Russia's autonomous people and have no problem supporting him. Actually really respect him for wanting to represent his heritage.

I generally see the caucasus different, as they generally don't seek to be part of the wider country (which is multinational), other than for business interests and leaching off the federal budget. I actually rooted for Ukraine against that set of guys in our national team during the olympics, as I have a lot more in common with the Ukrainian fighters!
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
From memory, think Provodnikov is mixed, part Russian, but considers himself Mansi. They are one of Russia's autonomous people and have no problem supporting him. Actually really respect him for wanting to represent his heritage.

I generally see the caucasus different, as they generally don't seek to be part of the wider country (which is multinational), other than for business interests and leaching off the federal budget. I actually rooted for Ukraine against that set of guys in our national team during the olympics, as I have a lot more in common with the Ukrainian fighters!
Ya the Caucuses are different. I read people speculating about his situation with Tszyu, i wonder if Jackson will start training him again? Khabib has fought alot in the US and if he keeps wanting to fight & train there the scheduling conflicts will continue but i do think Tszyu would be a better trainer for him.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
globeman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Российский, feel better?

Thats exactly right they are people from a Region that was conquered by Russians. They are not indigenous to "Russia"

Im sure if they dropped these Slavic Suffixes no one would mistake them for Russians except or the ones that sort of look Russian. Then their names would be Magomed Abdulsulahmamed. WIthout the ov/aev/ev there would be no confusion, sort of like Armenians or Georgians

* Ive a read a few forums where Russia and the Caucasian regions were discussed, im no expert but I have an understanding of whats going on*
globeman is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by globeman View Post
Thats exactly right they are people from a Region that was conquered by Russians. They are not indigenous to "Russia"

Im sure if they dropped these Slavic Suffixes no one would mistake them for Russians except or the ones that sort of look Russian. Then their names would be Magomed Abdulsulahmamed. WIthout the ov/aev/ev there would be no confusion, sort of like Armenians or Georgians

* Ive a read a few forums where Russia and the Caucasian regions were discussed, im no expert but I have an understanding of whats going on*
They're indigenous to that land, that land is part of the Russian Federation, they're Russian citizens. Use whatever designation for them that makes you happy.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Grecorussian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 685

the situation there in Caucasus is a little bizarre but I don't think that people there hate Russia . I think they love both Russia and their special homeland which is part of Russia
A good friend of mine is from Vladikavkaz , North Ossetia and she considers herself both alan and russian
Khabib is russian . OK not the typical slav, blonde hair , orthodox but russian
I don't know about Baysangurov though
Grecorussian is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
globeman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
To be russian is ethnicity, to be "rosiyanin" it means to be russian by "passport", in russia they have those distinctions. Not to mention bloody history Russians and Caucasians had. Also both Russians and Caucasians would most likely disprove calling caucasians russian.

Now i wouldnt care but since UFc want to make an event in Russia they need to know those things. Am not saying they will fail the event with "russian" fighters but they will not do as good as they would do russian-russian fighters.
I found this one on Sherdog, they were discussing a new "Russian" MW prospect Adam Haliev. I decided to post it because it sums up the general consensus of calling everything out of the Caucasus Russian.
globeman is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
DREAMCATCHER
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
The Russian contingent at 140 is all making their move to the top at the same time and im excited to see them all tested against the best in the division.

Allakhverdiev - Is the WBA and IBO Champion. Garcia has the WBA Super & WBC belts with Matthysse being the WBC Interm Champ and he's fighting on the Garcia/Judah undercard so looks like Garcia will Unify that WBC situation first in a superfight with Lucas. That would be good for Khabib to have a couple more fights before facing the elite of the division.

WBA top 10 before Khabib/Joan fought

1. Joan Guzman
2. Khabib Allakhverdiev
3. Amir Khan
4. Souleymane M’Baye
5. Karim Mayfield
6. Antonio Lozada Jr.
7. Johan Perez
8. Volodymyr Kravets
9. Vicente Mosquera
10. Pablo Cesar Cano

Defending against a couple of these guys would be beneficial for him to keep improving as a fighter.

Provodnikov - Ruslan and Rios have been ordered to fight for the vacant WBO belt since JMM moved up to fight Pacquiao. If Rios can get a money fight against Pac/JMM winner he may take that instead (Alverado is #3) but Ruslan will get a shot at the belt. I would favor Rios especially with the syle matchup and Ruslan's history with swelling and cuts but he certainly has a chance.

I don't think anyone is physically stronger than Provodnikov at 140 including Rios and he's been working on his footwork, movement and all around boxing ability recently. His defense has never been the best but he's as tough has they come, can punch and wouldn't be a easy fight for anyone especially another banger like Rios or Alverado.

Shafikov - With his dominant win over Mensah he's now rated #2 in the IBF

1. Zab Judah (fighting Garcia)
2. Denis Shafikov
3. Mike Alvarado
4. Kendal Holt
5. Brandon Rios

A title eliminator against Alverado may be a possibility if he's still rated at #3 since the Rios loss. That would be a tough fight especially in the US as i cant see him stopping Mike and winning rounds convincingly against him with a swarming approach would be difficult lending itself towards close rounds in additon to the obvious danger of being hurt himself.

He's going to have it tough if he wants to be a real factor in the division and with guys like Alverado, Rios, Garcia, Matthysse he'll have to show that his boxing and swarming can be effective against big, hard punching guys. I think a fight against the IBF Champion PEDerson would be a easier fight than either of the four named above although still a difficult one.

Shafikov said that he walks around under 145lbs so his team thinks moving to 135 might be smart and he'll probably end up fighting at both. Considering his position at #2 IBF at 140 i cant see them turning down a Title Eliminator oppertunity but if he were to lose a drop down to 135 seems likely.

Any thoughts on the fighters themselves or the likely matchups for them mentioned above?
When the Eastern europeans start to take the lower belts on a more consistant basis what will the excuse of the yanks be then?

We have already had the NBA one for the HW division...

'All our WW's go into NASCAR these days'! LOL.
DREAMCATCHER is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum