Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Punching power and buttock size/strength. How important are the glutes?

Sonny Liston had good girth I bet.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Punching power and buttock size/strength. How important are the glutes?

I don't it has a factor in punching power. The butt?? I would say more the abdominal muscles and the ability to turn the waist to land a body punch or hook. Or the calf. It all works together. I remember Emanuel Steward talking about Hearns punching power as sharpness and leverage. Saying he taught Tommy at the instant he lands a punch tight his grip and lock the elbow and arm and shirt the weight forward all at the same time.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
The data gathering has been most challenging.
Oh, I'll help!
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I don't it has a factor in punching power. The butt?? I would say more the abdominal muscles and the ability to turn the waist to land a body punch or hook. Or the calf. It all works together. I remember Emanuel Steward talking about Hearns punching power as sharpness and leverage. Saying he taught Tommy at the instant he lands a punch tight his grip and lock the elbow and arm and shirt the weight forward all at the same time.
Firstly, the correlation between muscle mass and explosive power is largely coincidental. I've seen dudes with toothpick legs squat enormous amounts of weight and vice versa those with giant legs do much less.

Interesting what Steward says. The transfer of power would be greater through a rigid medium. Speaking of rigid mediums, Bearcat Wright could both parry and avoid the right uppercut as if second nature.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Firstly, the correlation between muscle mass and explosive power is largely coincidental. I've seen dudes with toothpick legs squat enormous amounts of weight and vice versa those with giant legs do much less.

Interesting what Steward says. The transfer of power would be greater through a rigid medium. Speaking of rigid mediums, Bearcat Wright could both parry and avoid the right uppercut as if second nature.
I don't know about muscle mass as much as muscles in general. A guy who does not have much muscle is not going to generate much power. And that is essential to land a decent punch especially body punches.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #21
blagovech
esbs #1 pedo
ESB Senior Member

i always thought the shoulders were important for punching power
blagovech is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I don't know about muscle mass as much as muscles in general. A guy who does not have much muscle is not going to generate much power. And that is essential to land a decent punch especially body punches.
Errr...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozRc6I8pBU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I've seen similar displays from even skinnier guys. It's not the norm, but then neither are elite professional athletes.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddduudddee View Post
hearns had terrible glutes, jackson's were pretty nice though... They looked strong and firm
lmao!!!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #24
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

I am not talking about Charles Atlas kind of muscles. I mean a person has to have some sort of muscle development to give his body structure. Hearns could punch, but if you saw his shoulder and arms, you knew why.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #25
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535

Quote:
Errr...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I've seen similar displays from even skinnier guys. It's not the norm, but then neither are elite professional athletes.
This guy is skinny till he turns sideways then you see his huge ass! I bet he could punch really hard too!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #26
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
Hearns had terrible glutes, Jackson's were pretty nice though... they looked strong and firm
I was expecting to come on here and read the usual trite ***ual commentary, but I must admit this and Seamus' post(#13) KILLED me

On a serious note, I've heard Joe Gibbs and other football coaches liken glute strength to players having explosive hitting power. Maybe there is something to the glute theory, though I think there are many ways to generate power.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #27
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

o.O Why man
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #28
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

I think you need no homo in between every 2nd or 3rd word
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i remember gil clancey commenting on Lennox Lewis vs ****** Fortinue and saying how big Fortinues thighs are and how he can likely hit hard because of it.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I was going to start a thread examining the correlation between **** size and the ability to defend the right uppercut. Since you people can't examine an issue like serious adults, I will refrain
Remember that fat arsed lhvy Bob Foster, and porky posteriored Jimmy Wilde.
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum