Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: GSP apparently asking for 50Mill

I liked the bit where Rob posted links that this story wasnt true but y'all talked about it anyway...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

typical ESB fashion, nobody read the thread !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

If Danas has any sense he will make the GSP fight first.

Silva is much bigger and should take the W and then the Jones fight would be even bigger!!!!

It would be out of this world big!!!

GSP Vs Silva could be $25m each easy.

Silva Vs D.U.I would be around $35m Silva Vs $20-25m Jones I'd take a guess at...

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #20
300press
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta View Post
The UFC's highest grossing event was Lesnar-Mir 2 with 1.6M buys, second highest was Lesnar-Carwin with 1.1M buys, and 3rd highest(tied) was Lesnar-Velasquez with 1.05M Buys.

Outside of Lesnar, the only match to break 1 Million buys was Liddell-Ortiz back in 2006. Everybody else has topped out at 1M or usually below.

Now this would be the largest fight in UFC history by far in terms of skill level. But to pay each guy $50M($100M total) plus an undercard of $5M (so $105M), never mind the cost of promotion they would need to sell 2.1M PPVs(with an average price of $50), and that assumes they have to pay cable providers nothing to show it. Now some of that is recouped in advertising(ring mat ads, official beer, etc.) and the live Gate. But still that's asking for double what either of these guys have accomplished in their careers and asking for 500K more than what Brock Lesnar, who had the WWE's hype machine behind him for years and was bringing a new fanbase to MMA with him, had done. I don't see that happening.
You make some great points. But you have to take into account if they put this fight on in Brazil or Japan in a outdoor stadium, they could put 120,000 people in the stadium now do the math on that situation. Game changer 100%. We are talking 100-150 Million off the gate alone! Factor in the PPV buys, merchandising, sponsorship I think they can do it easily with the UFC making a profit off the situation.
300press is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300press View Post
You make some great points. But you have to take into account if they put this fight on in Brazil or Japan in a outdoor stadium, they could put 120,000 people in the stadium now do the math on that situation. Game changer 100%. We are talking 100-150 Million off the gate alone! Factor in the PPV buys, merchandising, sponsorship I think they can do it easily with the UFC making a profit off the situation.

There will never be a 150M gate.

The Super Bowl held in Dallas, Texas which had 100,000+ people in attendance had an expected gate of $170M taking into account gate, both ticket window and resale. Now I cannot find the comparable numbers for the largest attended gate in a combat sport, or the UEFA Champions league final but I would venture to say its below for the Combat sport or near the same for the UEFA Champion's league final(at least regarding per ticket price per seat)

That's an established premier league, in a very strong business region of the nation, that is the most watched TV production in the United States (which can field a 22 person lineup that can buy out the UFC roster salaries 10x over.) isn't going to be outdone by just about any other professional league on the globe let alone the UFC.

As for how much this would cost to make it so in your example to reach the 150M by itself:
First off there is no 120,000 person stadium. The largest stadium in Brazil according to wikipedia is Estadio do Maracana which seats 80,000, the largest in Canada is Olympic stadium with 67,000 seats. Now of course you will have people sitting on the pitch but going back to the Dallas example, for the NBA All-Star Game they had a record 108,000 people for the NBA all-star game. The normal NFL capacity of the stadium is listed at 80,000. and that's with a stadium that is multilevel and built to be cross use. So assuming a best case scenario they are going to match that in Brazil and that makes the average ticket price $1400 no matter where you sit.

Going back to the Super Bowl comparison, seats started off in the nosebleeds for that amount. Which just isn't realistic. Mayweather-Cotto by comparison had $1500 upper bound ticket prices. And that was in a smaller arena, so whatever comping effects there was, were offset by the number of tickets available.

Merchandising has no comparable in the UFC to my knowledge that would match the NFLs for a single event.

Sponsorship and PPV sales, I already responded to with how unlikely it would be to reach this target and make it a viable option for the UFC.

Simply put if I was Dunder Mifflen, or PWC, or whomever Zuffa has advising them regarding compensation I would tell them under no circumstances agree to this demand.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Doubting very much that GSP lasts 10 fights...
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
300press
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta View Post

There will never be a 150M gate.

The Super Bowl held in Dallas, Texas which had 100,000+ people in attendance had an expected gate of $170M taking into account gate, both ticket window and resale. Now I cannot find the comparable numbers for the largest attended gate in a combat sport, or the UEFA Champions league final but I would venture to say its below for the Combat sport or near the same for the UEFA Champion's league final(at least regarding per ticket price per seat)

That's an established premier league, in a very strong business region of the nation, that is the most watched TV production in the United States (which can field a 22 person lineup that can buy out the UFC roster salaries 10x over.) isn't going to be outdone by just about any other professional league on the globe let alone the UFC.

As for how much this would cost to make it so in your example to reach the 150M by itself:
First off there is no 120,000 person stadium. The largest stadium in Brazil according to wikipedia is Estadio do Maracana which seats 80,000, the largest in Canada is Olympic stadium with 67,000 seats. Now of course you will have people sitting on the pitch but going back to the Dallas example, for the NBA All-Star Game they had a record 108,000 people for the NBA all-star game. The normal NFL capacity of the stadium is listed at 80,000. and that's with a stadium that is multilevel and built to be cross use. So assuming a best case scenario they are going to match that in Brazil and that makes the average ticket price $1400 no matter where you sit.

Going back to the Super Bowl comparison, seats started off in the nosebleeds for that amount. Which just isn't realistic. Mayweather-Cotto by comparison had $1500 upper bound ticket prices. And that was in a smaller arena, so whatever comping effects there was, were offset by the number of tickets available.

Merchandising has no comparable in the UFC to my knowledge that would match the NFLs for a single event.

Sponsorship and PPV sales, I already responded to with how unlikely it would be to reach this target and make it a viable option for the UFC.

Simply put if I was Dunder Mifflen, or PWC, or whomever Zuffa has advising them regarding compensation I would tell them under no circumstances agree to this demand.
Have you even seen a Pride FC show? 100,000 people in attendance regularly. If they marketed it right they could do it. You are talking about American balonie numbers, and im not going to to even entertain having a debate on that. To get a 100k-150k gate it would have to be a outdoor stadium in a overseas country (Japan, Brazil, China exc.) You are comparing apples and oranges my friend. Even look at the Mayweather/Cotto fight, Mayweather took home like 30 million? I don't see the problem with GSP/Silva getting that. But you are obviously are the expert analyst here, and clearly I don't know what im talking about.
300press is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Doubting very much that GSP lasts 10 fights...
With his saftey first style i could see him lasting an other 10 fights
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Have you even seen a Pride FC show? 100,000 people in attendance regularly. If they marketed it right they could do it. You are talking about American balonie numbers, and im not going to to even entertain having a debate on that. To get a 100k-150k gate it would have to be a outdoor stadium in a overseas country (Japan, Brazil, China exc.) You are comparing apples and oranges my friend. Even look at the Mayweather/Cotto fight, Mayweather took home like 30 million? I don't see the problem with GSP/Silva getting that. But you are obviously are the expert analyst here, and clearly I don't know what im talking about.
They take home 30 mil and its all theirs. The UFC want to take home a huge amount to re-invest in the sport and also be very profitable.

The reality is that most boxing promoters go broke and many of the ones that are still around are only around because they register under a different name.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
jimcox88
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 209

as if gsp is making 8m a fight
jimcox88 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Quote:
Have you even seen a Pride FC show? 100,000 people in attendance regularly.
And did they all pay $1400 to see ant size fighters duke it out? No they didn't. And since you want to mention PRIDE, did the UFC keep the PRIDE namesake? No, and what is Japan's premier MMA promotion now? Dream is bankrupt according to MMA Weekly. Also, I want to see proof that there were 100K person crowds at Pride, because the largest according to ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) the largest crowd in Japan's MMA history was 71,000 for Pride: Shockwave which was a co-promotion with K1 and even that even had only 50,000 paid. But please go on and tell me about the magic of marketing will completely crush all prior records and indicators that say the exact opposite.
Quote:
If they marketed it right they could do it.
Yes convince people to part with their cold hard cash especially in a country like Brazil where the average monthly individual income is about $630 USD. Good luck trying to sell those cheap seats at a super premium there. Or should they go to Japan, where Dream fell apart. Their largest promotion was bought out and closed.

Quote:
You are talking about American balonie numbers, and im not going to to even entertain having a debate on that.
Its bologna or (boloney, baloney[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or polony), not balonie.

Quote:
To get a 100k-150k gate it would have to be a outdoor stadium in a overseas country (Japan, Brazil, China exc.)
No shit, and once again it doesn't work. It hasn't worked for Boxing nor MMA. And it will never work. Want to know why? Becuase people are not going to pay anything close to top dollar to be in the nose bleeds watching something that will look like a postage stamp from their vantage point. You can get a 100K person gate, you'll never get $150M out of that gate.

Quote:
You are comparing apples and oranges my friend.
No its called comparable data.

Quote:
Even look at the Mayweather/Cotto fight, Mayweather took home like 30 million?
Yeah, what's $20M difference from the amount they allege that GSP wanted? Nice moving the goal posts there.

Quote:
I don't see the problem with GSP/Silva getting that.
Neither do I but I didn't argue against him getting $30M, I argued against him getting $50M.

Quote:
But you are obviously are the expert analyst here, and clearly I don't know what im talking about.
Hell of a lot closer to one than you are.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
IDK if that's possible. Zuffa seems to be doing pretty badly in recent times.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Does this guy look like he has big money to throw at anybody?
Great outfit, but the slippers and socks look brand new. Should be grimy with holes in them.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
300press
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Atlanta you have proved two things in this thread.

1. You have no life
2. You are good at using Google

I am actually shocked at the lengths you went in this thread to disprove me. You are probably sitting back right now thinking you are the man. The truth...you don't have a life. You have been on the board since 2009 and you have posted over 17,000 times? Break it down that is over 700 times a month for 2 years straight! You have double the post in one month... than I do since 2004!

You think posting all this google recycled shit makes you smart a monkey could do it. Anybody can see that. I can tell you are the type of guy that has never trained martial arts, probably never played sports and i'll go as far as to say you have probably never had a steady girlfriend. How could you when you post on here 100 times a day. It is actually sad.

Like I said initially you made some good points, but then you went off and cut and pasted your way to fame. I know martial arts, I've been a Shodan in Judo since 2008. I don't need to listen to some arm chair athlete tell me otherwise.

NOW. Dissect my entire post like you did earlier, break it down line for line. Try to prove me wrong. Because we all know you are the best. Just do it before Mommy comes home, because you have to be off the computer by supper time!!!
300press is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

UFC aint worth 50 Million.
chimba is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum