Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #46
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 13,490
vCash: 275
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

I was impressed with what I saw. He kind of fights like a bar fighter, so no matter how good everything is with his power, accuracy, or chin, I think he will only get so far on the world class level. Great start with Quintana though.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #47
KasperLokz13
Aztec Warrior
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Los
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasperLokz13 View Post
looks like alot of people are going to be in for a shock tonight.

the guys got the goods.
i stand by this statement.
KasperLokz13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #48
GoldenArms
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: alone in my four cornered room staring at candles
Posts: 863
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Still not impressed with him. If people are trying to hype this guy up, I don't see it.
GoldenArms is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #49
boxfanlut
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPaulValley View Post
He's a mini David Haye but with balls and integrity.
He's good and he's gonna whack this old ****er out tonight!
He needs Adam Booth to train him
boxfanlut is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #50
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vegemite Island
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 356
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
He sucks. The hype is just that, and the power is overrated. El Indio could spring the upset, despite being more than halfway dried up.
KERRIGAN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #51
PhilthyRich
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southside Jamica
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
He sucks. The hype is just that, and the power is overrated. El Indio could spring the upset, despite being more than halfway dried up.
PhilthyRich is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #52
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 116,182
vCash: 10000
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERRIGAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyRich View Post
What?

I stand by the first two sentences, and the third wasn't even a declarative prediction of what would happen.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #53
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Badlefthook.com
Posts: 11,160
vCash: 75
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfanlut View Post
He needs Adam Booth to train him
His trainer, Dan Birmingham, is plenty good and has been training him since he was an amateur. He has tons of experience facing top flight fighters, and before he was even a pro was already sparring guys like Winky Wright, Jeff Lacy and Chad Dawson.

I don't think we've seen all the tricks up Thurman's sleeve just yet. He's fighting aggressive and powerfully because his opponents haven't been at his level. I think we'll see a much more measured fighter who pays more attention to defense once the level of his opposition moves up a notch or two. His natural style is really more boxer-puncher than brawler, but we haven't seen that too much yet because he's been able to blast his recent opponents out of there.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #54
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 24,113
vCash: 1000
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

he looks good. i hope he becomes the future of boxing
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #55
PhilthyRich
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southside Jamica
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
What?

I stand by the first two sentences, and the third wasn't even a declarative prediction of what would happen.
Laughing because a guy who sucks and has overrated power just made you look like a dumb ass in front of everyone. That's all
PhilthyRich is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #56
Juv
Linsanity is the truth
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
He sucks. The hype is just that, and the power is overrated. El Indio could spring the upset, despite being more than halfway dried up.


Juv is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #57
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 116,182
vCash: 10000
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyRich View Post
Laughing because a guy who sucks and has overrated power just made you look like a dumb ass in front of everyone. That's all
No, he didn't. He beat up a fragile old Quintana, which I actually said might very well happen. (especially if Quintana didn't bring the same fire & focus he did against Latimore, and he didn't)

Try again.

I never said he had no power...but it's nothing more than above average. People are treating it like he's the next Julian Jackson. That's what the word overrated means.

I'm not the only one who thinks his technique sucks, either.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #58
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,665
vCash: 75
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
His trainer, Dan Birmingham, is plenty good and has been training him since he was an amateur. He has tons of experience facing top flight fighters, and before he was even a pro was already sparring guys like Winky Wright, Jeff Lacy and Chad Dawson.

I don't think we've seen all the tricks up Thurman's sleeve just yet. He's fighting aggressive and powerfully because his opponents haven't been at his level. I think we'll see a much more measured fighter who pays more attention to defense once the level of his opposition moves up a notch or two. His natural style is really more boxer-puncher than brawler, but we haven't seen that too much yet because he's been able to blast his recent opponents out of there.
This is a very good point. Of course, we just don't know, but you can see the POSSIBILITY of greatness in this guy. He has good balance, good foot speed, and he likes to throw combinations. He also has an instinct for finishing his opponent. He definitely leaves himself open too much, doesn't move enough after throwing big shots, and he almost clowns around ala Wilder, but like Brickhaus wrote, that can be due to sub-par opponents.

He needs one major loss, (or a really close, tough win) as a wake-up call. Then he might hone those skills, and get rid of the bad habits that will cost him at the elite level.

For now, he's just fun to root for. You know he's not ever going to be boring.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #59
PhilthyRich
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southside Jamica
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
No, he didn't. He beat up a fragile old Quintana, which I actually said might very well happen. (especially if Quintana didn't bring the same fire & focus he did against Latimore, and he didn't)

Try again.

I never said he had no power...but it's nothing more than above average. People are treating it like he's the next Julian Jackson. That's what the word overrated means.

I'm not the only one who thinks his technique sucks, either.
Fragile old, yet you said that the fragile old Quintana MAY pull the upset. Always easy to say MAY, anything MAY happen so that seems like a ***** way of saying things rather than boldly going out and predicting. And who claimed that you ever said "he had no power"? No one brought that up, but you did say he has "overrated power". But now he's "above average"? What happened to "he sucks". I don't think someone who "sucks" can be "above average". The point is, sure you can have your opinion on him which is fine, but at the same time, me, and other people, are just laughing at you because of your comment and how you just now looked like a total fool. That is all
PhilthyRich is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #60
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vegemite Island
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 356
Default Re: who is this keith thurman fella? any good?

The thing that most impresses me about Thurman is how relaxed he looks in his fights and how nothing seems to phase him.

Now one might say that is simply because his opponents haven't been of sufficient quality yet, but I think you will find that even as his opponents improve, he will still look just as composed.

I can see him dominating the 147 division for years to come.

Admittedly at 154, I don't think he is big enough yet to dominate that division, so I hope he gets the chance to clean out the Welterweight division, before moving up to 154.
KERRIGAN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013