Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #31
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Re: Earnie Shavers VS George Forman. The Ultimate Slugfest. Who wins and how?

Because were talking about a prime George he would just walk in throwing powershots Earnie needed time to get distance and throw his big punch, he couldn't unload when he was in defensive mode against George's onslaught, and even then Earnie couldn't throw a hard uppercut he used it most effective against Jimmy Ellis and Joe Bugner and he had to grab them and have leverage and we know that Jimmy Ellis and Joe Bugner aren't a prime George.
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #32
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Earnie Shavers VS George Forman. The Ultimate Slugfest. Who wins and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Shavers wasn't a straight up fighter and would often duck low, Shavers was shorter than George and a little taller than Frazier but with a much worse chin, prime for a Foreman uppercut and the way Shavers kept his hands right infront of his face would just end up with Foreman putting a left hook right there after the uppercut like he did Frazier.

Absolutely.

Shavers always dipped to throw. Most guys rise up. When Earnie dips against this guy, he'll get either shoved or jabbed, but Foreman will physically twist his torso and move him. Now the question is how many steps will it take for Earnie to reset himself and re-plant those feet to get set for another right hand? 2? 3 steps? And that would be backing up, no less.

And he'd be in that danger zone of Foreman opponents and off balance. I think this is like the Norton fight and a footwork issue and Earnie just not being fleet footed enough to avoid the incoming. Once hit, he'll last about as long as Kenny did. There is no way if Shavers is dropped with 2 minutes left in the round, he survives
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #33
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlack View Post
George beats Earnie in 1 or 2 rounds.The first meaningful punch George lands, it over.
Remember,if you drop George once,he just gets angry.
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #34
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak View Post
Absolutely.

Shavers always dipped to throw. Most guys rise up. When Earnie dips against this guy, he'll get either shoved or jabbed, but Foreman will physically twist his torso and move him. Now the question is how many steps will it take for Earnie to reset himself and re-plant those feet to get set for another right hand? 2? 3 steps? And that would be backing up, no less.

And he'd be in that danger zone of Foreman opponents and off balance. I think this is like the Norton fight and a footwork issue and Earnie just not being fleet footed enough to avoid the incoming. Once hit, he'll last about as long as Kenny did. There is no way if Shavers is dropped with 2 minutes left in the round, he survives
Yes i think Shavers is getting an unfair advantage against George because of his unbelievable power, Shavers lost to a list of guys that were so bad i couldn't even fit them on my arm, but now he's somehow getting a chance to beat a prime George Foreman who won a gold medal with only 20 amateur fights and 1 and a half years of boxing experience and completely Destroyed an undefeated Frazier in a few rounds and then beat him again. And completely annihilated Ken Norton as well....
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #35
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
A prime for prime hypothetical match up featuring the Foreman of 1973-74 v Shavers of 1977 would result in an action packed bout,short and sweet,with Foreman winning in around four stanzas. George was a murderous hitter with BOTH hands,as opposed to Earnie's chief weapon being his right. Foreman could also take a big shot better than Shavers.

A real time fight between the two,post Zaire,would be a 50-50 pick 'em scenario. I'd still favour Foreman,though,owing to his better chin.
Shavers could bang with BOTH hands. His left hook is vastly underrated.

He floored (almost took his head off) Ron Lyle with a single left hook just seconds before the bell. If had happened earlier in the round who knows what would happened.

In the destruction of Ken Norton, Shavers initially badly hurt Norton with a left hook.

That being said, I think Foreman takes care of Shavers in two.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #36
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lets look at who Earnie got knocked out by:
Ron Stander
Jerry Quarry 1 round!
Ron Lyle
Holmes (understandable)
Bernado Mercado
Randall Cobb c'mon
Brian Yates

Who Foreman got koed by:
Muhammad Ali.... One of the greatest fighters of all time..

I don't think Foreman can win guys like Jerry Quarry and Brian Yates, Ron Stander and RANDALL COBB! had MURDEROUS POWER i havn't seen a guy like Quarry in their fight Quarry knocked his head off in 1 round with that power Quarry was about as strong as Foreman Tyson and Dempsey all rolled into one
C'mon guys let this thread die
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #37
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If Shavers can stay away from Foreman's shots for the first 3 rounds..Then Ernie out works him, out boxes him, and then around the 5th Foreman is spent ( mostly from the shots he was takin.) and Shavers exposes him and stops him by KO around the 6th or 7th.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #38
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

a couple of rounds is all earnie would last
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #39
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
If Shavers can stay away from Foreman's shots for the first 3 rounds..Then Ernie out works him, out boxes him, and then around the 5th Foreman is spent ( mostly from the shots he was takin.) and Shavers exposes him and stops him by KO around the 6th or 7th.
Wow man, you really think Shavers was good defensively..... he couldn't stay away from a non stop barrage from Foreman do i have to bring up the 1 round loss to Quarry and all the other knockouts and knockdowns to much much MUCH lesser opponents than Foreman
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #40
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just because he has a big punch dosen't mean he is good and can beat great fighters... as on display in all of his losses to bad fighters
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
Decker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Just because he has a big punch dosen't mean he is good and can beat great fighters... as on display in all of his losses to bad fighters
Do you include Quarry as a "bad fighter"?

Btw, didn't Shavers go the distance w/Ali? Foreman didn't.

All in all, I'd favor Foreman, but if it goes into the late rounds...
Decker is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #42
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Do you include Quarry as a "bad fighter"?

Btw, didn't Shavers go the distance w/Ali? Foreman didn't.

All in all, I'd favor Foreman, but if it goes into the late rounds...
I include George Foreman as better than Jerry Quarry

Um an old Ali.... who wasn't in great shape, and Ali couldn't hit hard why do you think Earnie did so well against boxers with no punch because they couldn't shatter his glass chin, put him with somebody who can punch or somebody that could atleast hit him cleanly and he's gone

If it goes into the late rounds both were known for bad stamina but Foreman would knock him out well before that, your saying that guys like Ron Stander ,Brian Yates ect were better than a prime George Foreman who destroyed fighters? give me a break, earnie had a punch but a bad chin and lost to guys technically worse and obviously had alot less power than Foreman, George Chuvalo who almost everybody says he had the best chin in boxing history got knocked back onto the ropes by a Foreman left, and George was great at parrying punches and blocking pretty good defensively miles ahead of Shavers but somehow he got wobbled back by a Foreman punch how is Earnie supposed to take a punch from him if the best chin in boxing history got knocked back from him?
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #43
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPaulValley View Post

People always say Foreman ducked this and that. BS. Foreman often would have chosen to not fight certian people but if he had to he would.

Foreman didnt want to fight Frazier or Norton yet he did and he ****ed em both. Foreman will smack Shavers in exactly 3 rounds.
even though Foreman would probably win, with a big puncher there is always a unknown fear .. What if Shavers landed early. The over and under in this fight would be round 3.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #44
Decker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I include George Foreman as better than Jerry Quarry

Um an old Ali.... who wasn't in great shape, and Ali couldn't hit hard why do you think Earnie did so well against boxers with no punch because they couldn't shatter his glass chin, put him with somebody who can punch or somebody that could atleast hit him cleanly and he's gone

If it goes into the late rounds both were known for bad stamina but Foreman would knock him out well before that, your saying that guys like Ron Stander ,Brian Yates ect were better than a prime George Foreman who destroyed fighters? give me a break, earnie had a punch but a bad chin and lost to guys technically worse and obviously had alot less power than Foreman, George Chuvalo who almost everybody says he had the best chin in boxing history got knocked back onto the ropes by a Foreman left, and George was great at parrying punches and blocking pretty good defensively miles ahead of Shavers but somehow he got wobbled back by a Foreman punch how is Earnie supposed to take a punch from him if the best chin in boxing history got knocked back from him?
I generally agree w/you. That's why I said: if it goes until the late rounds, and even then had the outcome in doubt which is why I finished with ...
Most likely outcome is GF by early to mid stoppage.

I'm sure you're aware that some older fans think Shavers was the biggest puncher in all of HW history I'm well aware that he's overrated - but his fights were exciting to watch !
Decker is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #45
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Didnt Foreman openly admit he ducked Shavers?

maybe there was some doubt in Foremans head?

not that it would have mattered

Id be surprised if this goes more than 2 rounds
Azzer85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum