Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648
Default Re: What did boxing look like when you first got into it? (nostalgia thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
My true fascination for this sport began with Oscar De La Hoya stopping the rot on Julio Cesar Chavez, i was most content as a boxing fan from 2000-2006, De La Hoya, Mosley, Vargas, Forrest, Trinidad, Wright to name a few captured my imagination more than anyone has today

Then along came Ricky Hatton!, who rekindled that love, fighters i have become very fond of along the way are (aside from the above mentioned) Barrera, Marquez, Cotto, Jose Luis Castillo, Sergio Martinez

Modern day there's not that much that really makes my hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end, Gamboa, Santa Cruz, Donaire, Martinez is about all that im getting very excited over right now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Left View Post
My first boxing memory is Bruno Tyson 1. But it was the Benn/Eubank/Naz fights that got me into the sport.
interesting thewinfella, my addiction for the sport wained for a while when i first discovered girls and alcohol i didn't follow it all as much. i trully rekindled my loved for the sport when i started being more involved in the practical side of the sport again. i'd always been more of an internet fan who could never dedicate myself in the gym for more than 3-4 months but after everything in my life went to shit and everybody turned against me i decided to get in the gym n get ready to fight since i'd always wanted to box, i'm currently a 4-1 amateur with a chance to avenge my only amateur loss next week and on here all the time now loving the sport again.

big left, my first memories were of watching lews vs. tyson/ lewis vs. klitschko on tv but i was more of a wwf kid back then.

it's crazy to think how kids first getting addicted to it now will see it with manny steward gone n all these greats leaving, with mma trying to compete will they even choose this sport.

thanks for sharing guys
iceferg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #32
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What did boxing look like when you first got into it? (nostalgia thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
No silly name calling, no keyboard warrior posts, just memories of boxing; your comments about your Grandad really resonated with me.

I really miss mine, lost him too young nearly twenty years a go, I used to watch Laurel and Hardy with him.

Still watch them now, actually bought a big boxset of their films just the other day
Sorry to hear mate. Mine died back in 2009, so I was lucky to get to spend so much time with him really. I wish he'd been computer literate; he'd have loved it over on the Classic forum with some of the elder lemons on there and would've added a lot to it. His family were from Merthyr Tydfil and I always wanted to take him there to see the statues of Howard Winstone and Johnny Owen, but he disliked traveling and was generally too ill to go far. Owen's fate really knocked the stuffing out of him.

I've seen a lot of live stand up that I love and god knows how many funny films and sitcoms, but I can't get past Stan and Ollie. Sweeping statements usually get on my wick, so it's odd that I never tire of believing (or saying) that Stan Laurel was the funniest man to ever draw breath.

Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #33
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

My first boxing memory was Errol Christie vs Mark Kaylor. I would have been 12 years old at the time, cant remember much about it except I wanted Christie to win, I remember not liking Kaylor, dunno why, he just annoyed me! Anyway Kaylor won, & I still remember the feeling of disappointment and sadness! I dont remember if it was live, or highlights or what, but thats my first boxing memory.

second memory, being on holiday in Butlins & the shock when Barry McGuigan lost. Everyone from the top to the bottom of Britain & beyond had a love affair with the guy, he was the Hatton of his day looking back. I remember watching highlights or clips of the fight on the news, I cannot be sure which, in utter shock at seeing Barry McGuigan hitting the canvas! surely not, but I was quickly consoled by adults everywhere telling anyone who would listen "The heat beat barry, not his opponent" & to this day, its still commonly believed Cruz didnt beat Barry, but infact it was the sun wot did it

Then the 90's, buying glossy boxing mags, putting posters from KO & Ring magazine up on the wall, I had a poster of the guy who beat Johnny Nelson James ****** alongside james Toney, Herbie Hide etc taking pride of place on my poorly decorated by myself wall, back then a colour poster was amazing, as the tabloids still mainly posted black & white pics of boxing! I could go on & on, but thats just a snippet of my early life as a boxing fan.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey Man View Post
Hatton was prepping for the Mayweather fight, got me right into the sport.
Exactly the same for me.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #35
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
...... I remember being very upset when he lost to Douglas.
I was in a bar in Athens Georgia watching that fight and to be honest I was really rooting for Douglas. The University of Alabama were in town playing UGA at basketball....Three or four rounds into the fight this little white guy walked into the bar, all white shirt and slicked back hair, he looked like he'd wandered in off the set of Mississippi burning. He stopped right in the middle of the floor, looked up at the TV and shouted "Kill the n*****!!".....It was one of the most bizarre things that Ive ever witnessed.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #36
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
I think one of Benn's fights around 93/94 (forgot against who) was the first full live fight I watched on telly when I was staying at my grandma and grandad's one weekend. My grandad was a big boxing fan going right back to the late 20's circa the early 30's and was a proper fountain of knowledge.

He'd let me stay up reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator while he was watching the fight but I can remember putting it down and just sitting staring gormlessly at the telly while Benn was rabbit/kidney punching away. My mum was well pissed off when she found out but my dad was a bit more pleasantly surprised, seeing how I was a quiet and introverted kid, so he overruled my mum and said it was ok.

My dad used to work away from home a lot too when I was little, and my mum was usually busy looking after my younger brother - who was a right little twat - so I used to spend hours with my grandad reading books and watching Boris Karloff or Laurel & Hardy films. So after I told him how brill I thought boxing was, we sat down and watched some tapes of Joe Louis, who was his favourite and is still my favourite today for that reason alone. He got me into the likes of Buchanan, Winstone, Lynch and Conteh too. Any past British fighters really, especially if they were taffs (as he was by birth).

Whitaker, Chavez, Benn and Eubank were coming to the end of the line, Tyson was battering Big ***** before Holyfield came along and upset everything. Naz was getting yo-yoed by Kelley. I can remember my grandad complaining about SKY and all the daft belts and weight classes, saying how the number of great fighters and trainers had been dropping off for years and would continue to do so etc. I thought at the time he was just being a miserable old sod when actually it turned out he was hitting the nail on the head.

We'd sit for hours watching Louis, Ali (who he didn't like but made we watch anyway), Robinson, Duran, Marciano and loads of the old timers, and he'd leave me to own my devices watching Barrera, Jones Jr, Stevie Johnston, ODLH, Trinidad, Calzaghe, Too Sharp etc. Barrera was my favourite at the time and one of the few active fighters who my grandad had any time for, so it was a glorious day when he swung Naz about like a broken washing line.

The last fight we ever watched together, after him not watching any live boxing for years, was Khan getting bazeemed by Prescott . He was quite ill at the time, pushing 90, and it got a massive laugh out of him, so he thought it would be a fitting last fight to watch.

Good times they were. Makes me feel old as **** despite not even being 30 yet.....
****ing brilliant post.
Trail is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #37
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Sorry to hear mate. Mine died back in 2009, so I was lucky to get to spend so much time with him really. I wish he'd been computer literate; he'd have loved it over on the Classic forum with some of the elder lemons on there and would've added a lot to it. His family were from Merthyr Tydfil and I always wanted to take him there to see the statues of Howard Winstone and Johnny Owen, but he disliked traveling and was generally too ill to go far. Owen's fate really knocked the stuffing out of him.

I've seen a lot of live stand up that I love and god knows how many funny films and sitcoms, but I can't get past Stan and Ollie. Sweeping statements usually get on my wick, so it's odd that I never tire of believing (or saying) that Stan Laurel was the funniest man to ever draw breath.

My biggest regret with my Grandad was that I never knew him when I was a man.

I was only in my mid teens when we lost him, I would have loved to be able to go to the pub with him and sit and chat.

I love 'The Music Box' the classic with the piano, but I have a soft spot for 'Way Out West'' it was my Grandads favourite and it still makes me laugh so much, particularly the musical interludes!

When watching the films you realise just how many modern comedians (such as Robin Williams and Jim Carey) owed to Laurel; as famous as they are I really believe that Laural is underated.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #38
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

mike tyson fights on itv sunday mornings is my start.

tyson's brutality is enough to get any kid hooked.

remember watching all the benn - eubank - watson fights.

over the years the big fights went over to sky.

listened to most of the big fights on the radio (bruno-mccall, naz kelley etc)

finally ended up getting sky and started following the domestic scene around 1998-99.

sad the way things have gone really.

the sports profile has plummeted in recent yrs compared to those days.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum