Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Why do some boxing 'fans' hate so much?

I appreciate that the nature of sport is that people support one side or the other, and that those supporters can be extremely passionate about their chosen side.

I can understand why in football for instance one set of fans think their team is the best (despite the results showing this to be untrue) and how it is particularly important to them that certain teams are beaten.

However what also happens a great deal is that when two teams who face each other are both of a high standard, and the viewers have no particular allegiance, both teams are cheered for and there is an appreciation of the skill and ability.

The World Cup is a great example of this.

Why is then that so many people can't be this way with boxing?

This site perfectly illustrates it.

Some posters on here have a genuine, almost obsessive, hatred of certain boxers; there is often no real reason for this.

Every chance they get they criticise certain boxers and spout nonsense based on very little evidence.

I ask myself why anyone would not want a boxer from their own country to succeed?

Why do some people think that in order to show support for one boxer they have to spout hatred for their nearest rival?

I just don't get it?!
Michael300 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Default Re: Why do some boxing 'fans' hate so much?

I find it the same with Football Michael, Get people slagging a player off and trying to say there player or club is better on forums and facebook etc. It's the nature of sport in this country that's for sure. Some people see it more clearly then others, It's pretty bait who comes on here with intentions based on a agenda against a promoter,fighter,ref or even now posters.

I love boxrec, really great tool but TBH it's ruined when people go on there and look at era's they was never fans in and tear a mans record to shreds based on a glance. Poor form it really is.

But the forums not all bad IMHO.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
I find it the same with Football Michael, Get people slagging a player off and trying to say there player or club is better. It's the nature of sport in this country that's for sure. Some people see it more clearly then others, It's pretty bait who comes on here with intentions based on a agenda against a promoter,fighter,ref or even now posters.

I love boxrec, really great tool but TBH it's ruined when people go on there and look at era's they was never fans in and tear a mans record to shreds based on a glance. Poor form it really is.

But the forums not all bad IMHO.
I think this is a really good forum, the ocassional bellend for sure, but the level of knowledge is fantastic and at times it can be so funny.

My thread is aimed at a minority to be honest, we all know who they are.

Fighters at the moment that seem to have unnecessary hatred are Price, Fury, Frampton, Quigg, Hatton and Calzaghe (?!).

Have favourites by all means, I know I do, but why say the other guy is shite when he clearly isn't?!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

The Fury vs Price debate is creating a divide that's for sure. Some are pulling rank for there man to the very bitter end. Getting a bit boring, some posters are seeing it level headed and some not so.

Hatton's always brought that element of hatred to forum so no shock there, Calzaghe debate the other week was pretty pointless in the end. You either do or don't think he's a British ATG. Gets a bit boring and silly debating when people aren't going to change there viewpoint.

TBH some people can't express themselves properly without using swear words and going over the top. Quigg isn't shit, I still think Frampton beats him though. I think Price is decent but still think Fury beats him.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
vinnyboy
Journeyman

iam a newbie on this site but some of the comments about fighters are abusive being called mugs ect and worse when any one who steps through the ropes deserves some respect iam not saying don't criticise but lets cut out the unwarranted abuse that would be a start maybe think to your self would i say this to there face
vinnyboy is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

TBH the major thing that pisses me is when people call fighters ''Bums'' then praise Flintoff for being so courageous.

Have a word..
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
The Fury vs Price debate is creating a divide that's for sure. Some are pulling rank for there man to the very bitter end. Getting a bit boring, some posters are seeing it level headed and some not so.

Hatton's always brought that element of hatred to forum so no shock there, Calzaghe debate the other week was pretty pointless in the end. You either do or don't think he's a British ATG. Gets a bit boring and silly debating when people aren't going to change there viewpoint.

TBH some people can't express themselves properly without using swear words and going over the top. Quigg isn't shit, I still think Frampton beats him though. I think Price is decent but still think Fury beats him.
I agree with everything, apart from the last bit!

For me its Price, but only just!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
I appreciate that the nature of sport is that people support one side or the other, and that those supporters can be extremely passionate about their chosen side.
phoney opposition, bogus title defenses, easy 0's when you fight no one, and Top men never meating one another - protection.

true fans and even knowledgeable sport fans aren't fooled, don't you be too.

you don't necessarly support your own country fighter, or the 'home' town as it were IF you like other fighters for a varity of reasons - perhaps their just better - never occurred to you?
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

With regards to supporting fighters from this country i'm not one to be a patriotic with boxing. When Jennings fought Cotto i supported Cotto because i'm a fan and also i prefer his style.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
phoney opposition, bogus title defenses, easy 0's when you fight no one, and Top men never meating one another - protection.

true fans and even knowledgeable sport fans aren't fooled, don't you be too.

you don't necessarly support your own country fighter, or the 'home' town as it were IF you like other fighters for a varity of reasons - perhaps their just better - never occurred to you?
Yes it is the point of the thread.

Just because you think one boxer is better than another it does not therefore mean the other one is bad.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
Yes it is the point of the thread.

Just because you think one boxer is better than another it does not therefore mean the other one is bad.
of course not, just the Bullshit ones!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Knack
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 706

Because forums allow morons to have a global audience.

Small niche forums often attract the best type of poster, especially if the subject matter is somewhat more cerebral than sports, sports forums on the other hand give uneducated bitter idiots license to spout drivel.

They've most likely got not much else to talk about and one of the few things they have in life to make themselves feel better about their existence is to slate people who are many times more talented and dedicated than they are.
Knack is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
of course not, just the Bullshit ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knack View Post
Because forums allow morons to have a global audience.

Small niche forums often attract the best type of poster, especially if the subject matter is somewhat more cerebral than sports, sports forums on the other hand give uneducated bitter idiots license to spout drivel.

They've most likely got not much else to talk about and one of the few things they have in life to make themselves feel better about their existence is to slate people who are many times more talented and dedicated than they are.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Sometimes, some fighters just do a persons head in SO much they cant help themselves but hate. For a number of reasons in no particular order...

A)personality
B)nationality
c)hype
d)popularity

Some quick examples,
personality? Look no further than degale. Won olympic gold, made his country proud but cos he came across as a cunt to Groves? More hate him than like him nowadays.

Nationality? Look no further than Ricky Burns. One of boxings good guys, won his title the hard way, defends against Ring top 10 fighters, but he almost always gets near 100 post threads with the majority here mocking him, & only a few brave souls daring to stand up for him. You can throw Cleverly into that mix too, its no coincidence that two of the most hated fighters here dont come from the biggest country in the UK. Go figure.

hype? Look no further than Ricky Hatton from the past, & nowadays Kell Brook. Once SKY get behind a fighter? They get BEHIND a fighter. They shower them with so much praise, tell so much bare faced lies & basically insult peoples intelligence with the drivel they spout about the greatness of the fighter they are backing, that people want to see these fighters fail & get derailed, & start hating on the fighter, instead of hating on the ones behind all the bullshit, the ones creating the hype that can turn a fighter into a egomaniac.

popularity? Hype builds popularity, & when someone dislikes a hyped fighter cos they dont think he deserves it? The tipping point is when the hyped fighter starts pulling big crowds, the hater sees these big crowds for a fighter he doesnt like, & its red mist time, & all hope is lost as the hater downward spirals into a life of snarling at the TV screen & typing on forums(or shaky live feed) with angry fingers & steam coming out of their ears, as the crowd belt out anthems in adoration of their new boxing hero in the background!

am I defending haters? No. However, I can understand why they exist.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A)personality
B)nationality
c)hype
d)popularity

true. but i hate soccer now because of the robbery of the soccer world cup of the aussies against the eventual winners in about 2006. shit game. next game we would have beaten england and advanced to the final.

we were robbed. shit decision. still no video refs. absolutely a rigged betting sport.
swingin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum