Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Cotto vs Trout was high altitude training a factor?

Pedro Diaz had mentioned that Cotto trained at high altitude for this fight. Cotto had never done high altitude training before do you think this could play a factor on how cotto performed? He looked lethargic the whole fight IMO high altitude training prevents you from training your hardest because of the thin air. You'd have to stop more frequently to breath, you couldnt necessarily reach your thresh hold unless you had a training camp for the training camp. I'm not trying to take anything away from trout but Cotto just didnt seem to be himself that night and I simply dont buy the rumor that he is completely shot. Especially after his performance against Mayweather. I apologize if this was brought up in earlier forms

Ricky
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
ArtOWAR
Fartdawg
ESB Full Member

vCash: 87
Default Re: Cotto vs Trout was high altitude training a factor?

Yes it shrunk his arms.......
ArtOWAR is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
stillth3sameg
Woolly Rhino
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5707

I've noticed there's a trend with fighters who train high altitude: they perform poorly in their fights.

I think it has to do with your blood vessels being accustomed to the low O2 content, remaining constricted considerably past your fight date. I read some articles on the subject but from what I remember it's completely counterproductive.
stillth3sameg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
ArtOWAR
Fartdawg
ESB Full Member

vCash: 87

Give Austin Trout his damn props for **** sakes!!! huge Cotto fan here
ArtOWAR is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOWAR View Post
Give Austin Trout his damn props for **** sakes!!! huge Cotto fan here
exactly...Trout fought a god damn great fight and ****ing nobody is talking about it

its Cotto this Floyd that

shot unshot

its bullshit, the better guy won
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Virgil Hunter seems to think it did in an interview with Ring Magazine:

Quote:
RingTV.com: You mentioned that it was a mistake for Cotto to train at high altitude for the first time in his career before facing Trout, what do you mean?

VH: That's not always good for fighters, because it stresses the body tremendously. Your blood is like sludge at first, and I'm not going to tell them how to train at high altitude, because there is a way to do it.

But I'm not going to mention it. But if you are training at high altitude with a 32-year-old body, it takes five to six weeks just to overcome the stress aspects of it.

So if you've got to go through all of the other training to get ready for the fight, then you're wore out. And all of the extra stuff that you've got to do, chasingi balls and this exercise and that exercise...

That's not good for a 32-year-old. But I still picked Austin to win, before I realized Cotto's training program. But it's too much for a 32-year-old who has been in all of the wars Cotto has been in, to absorb.

When you're younger, you may be able to handle it a little bit more. But at 32 years old, at high altitude, I wouldn't have done that with the wear and tear on his body. How much can his body take?

In the fight, he wasn't even up on his legs like he normally is, and he didn't move like he normally moves. Think about his movement that night. He trained too hard to be facing a 27-year-old guy who is big and strong.

The combination of the high altitude and the over-training, and he was facing a young man. Trout also made a smart, smart, smart training decision bringing DonYil Livingston into his camp to spar.

Livingston is Cotto's size, but boxes exactly like Cotto and is just as good. I know that he gave Trout all that he can handle. He kept DonYil Livingston in his camp for six weeks, so I knew he was going to be ready.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3000

Cotto is undefeated.

*Margarito (Cheated Plaster)
*Pac (Cheated Roids & Roach Wrap's + Drained)
*Mayweather (The Decision was bullshit, Robbed)
*Trout (High Altitude training + was preocupied)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
Pedro Diaz had mentioned that Cotto trained at high altitude for this fight. Cotto had never done high altitude training before do you think this could play a factor on how cotto performed? He looked lethargic the whole fight IMO high altitude training prevents you from training your hardest because of the thin air. You'd have to stop more frequently to breath, you couldnt necessarily reach your thresh hold unless you had a training camp for the training camp. I'm not trying to take anything away from trout but Cotto just didnt seem to be himself that night and I simply dont buy the rumor that he is completely shot. Especially after his performance against Mayweather. I apologize if this was brought up in earlier forms

Ricky
no.. I said before the fight if Trout can last into the later rounds and be hitting Cotto consistently then he will take over and win the fight maybe by late round knockout. The fact Cotto was training high altitude had more to do with him probably trying to fix his problem of tiring late in fights.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Jai C
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgeous Porge View Post
exactly...Trout fought a god damn great fight and ****ing nobody is talking about it

its Cotto this Floyd that

shot unshot

its bullshit, the better guy won
One sad thing about fans are they don't want to except the reality that sports has a revolving door. No athlete performs at the same level through their entire career, unless they retire quickly. Boxing is about styles. Trout was simply the better man that night.
Jai C is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Alex Ariza’s Corner Of The Ring
Why Shane Mosley will lose this fight after the 5th round

Most people think high altitude training is the way to train. They feel that by getting their endurance to the level they want in an environment that is producing less oxygen will make the body perform better when the body is introduced back to lower climates when the body is introduced back to higher amounts of oxygen for every breath they take.

In high altitudes, the amount of oxygen in the blood is reduced because there’s less oxygen in the air. To compensate for reduction of oxygen in the air, the kidneys secrete more of a hormone called erythropoietin, which causes the body to create more red blood cells.

However the increase in red blood cells comes at a cost – having too many blood cells makes the blood thicker and can make blood flow sluggish. This makes it harder for your heart to pump blood throughout the body, and can actually decrease the amount of oxygen getting to where it is needed.

At very high altitudes (>5000m), weight loss is unavoidable because your body actually consumes your muscles in order to provide energy. There is even a risk that the body’s immune system will become weakened, leading to an increased risk of infections, and there may be adverse changes in the chemical make-up of the muscles. Additionally, the body cannot exercise as intensely at altitude. This results in reduced training intensity, which can reduce performance.

Besides Shane Mosley loosing muscle tissue and his body becoming depleted Shane Mosley has the biggest set back of all. By the time Shane Mosley steps in the ring, his body will already have become accustomed to the lower altitude. Everything his body built in the area’s of endurance up in Big Bear mountain are now gone. The body has already adjusted back to it’s natural environment.
It is not like Shane Mosley is sitting there with all this extra energy that he will be able to display for everyone in the ring.
Shane’s body will automatically get used to the higher levels of oxygen that you breathe in the lower climates. Their will be no benefit to what Shane tried to accomplish. Shane Mosley will have achieved no advantage. All Shane Mosley did was sacrificed muscle, strength, and speed for no reason.

The only reason I put this article out now is because it is too late for Shane to go backwards. He has damaged his body enough that those effects are non-reversible. (in the short time left to the fight on May 7th.)

I remember watching Tito Ortiz years ago when he was at the top of his game, but then he changed his training to Big Bear. He thought it would help him, but Tito started gassing in the 2nd round. That was simply because he actually weakened himself during training and his opponent was able to over power him during the second round.

Same thing will happen to Mosely. Shane has depleted himself. That is why you saw what you saw in the Mayweather fight. That is why you saw what you saw in the Sergio Mora Fight.

On the other hand, my fighter Manny Pacquiao is training as hard as he possible can in the environment he will actually fight in. He is eating and building muscle everyday. He is getting faster, stronger, while Shane is getting weaker and weaker.

This fight will not go the distance. I hardly ever predict fights. Freddie Roach is better at that then I am, but you will see many advantages for us in this fight, but the biggest one you will see will come in the fifth or sixth round and beyond; that is strength, endurance, speed, and power.

Shane will not be able to handle this.

Until next time, same website Official Manny Pacquiao Website PAC-MAN Manny Pacquiao

Alex
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
liljp361
Belt holder
ESB Addict

whatever the reason i think it was obvious cotto didnt look his best he's ever looked and it wasnt all because of trout either
liljp361 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918

Ariza and Virgil don't know what the **** they are talking about.

I trust Diaz a PHd and experienced in the field way more than a shake maker and a boxing trainer.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Trout definitely deserves credit for his performance, nobody should take that away from him.

But to comment on the thread topic, I do remember Diaz commenting on the altitude training, and when he was asked in an interview if they'd do it again, he said "I'm not sure if we'll do it again." I've read mixed is better. There may be some truth as to what Ariza said about Mosley's training.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Trout definitely deserves credit for his performance, nobody should take that away from him.

But to comment on the thread topic, I do remember Diaz commenting on the altitude training, and when he was asked in an interview if they'd do it again, he said "I'm not sure if we'll do it again." I've read mixed is better. There may be some truth as to what Ariza said about Mosley's training.

well we have to see, we can only judge with cotto's next performance. Then everyone will go from shot to unshot again. As most will complain, i knew there was something wrong but i never really though he was shot. Props to trout i do believe he still would have beaten cotto. The man deserves a big payday. Trout vs canelo
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHome_Bama View Post
Ariza and Virgil don't know what the **** they are talking about.

I trust Diaz a PHd and experienced in the field way more than a shake maker and a boxing trainer.
Boxing trainers have been doing it for years with out phd's
Imperial1 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum