Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default head movement. a must for shorter boxers.

i never had it. i wasnt shown it, and there were very few fights on tele, and there was no such thing as the net.

later in life i discovered it, when an old blackfella from coonamble taught me to slip a left and counter with a right. it opend up a whole new world to me.

suddenly i realised each way i slipped, i was transfering my weight to throw punches from either hand. i actually broke a bloke jaw in the ring by slipping his left and countering with a right hand, left hook.

fighters often forget or neglect skills they posess. it was quoted the mathew saad mohamed went from a cautious counterpuncher to a walk up slugger. i myself had a good left hand, but the more i fought, the less id use it. my trainer used to complain to me to use it more. for some reason i just wanted to do other stuff. once youve learned a good skill, but dont use it, its there but you just have to bring it out again.

i recently looked at alex fighting demori again on you tube, and i realised alex had great head movement back then, although a little exagerated. he seems to have forgotten to use it recently, but he has it there, he just needs to work on it and bring it back.

watching shorter fighters like joe frazier, shows he had great head movement. so did the early tyson. it was in integral part of their success. i believe it is part of alex resume that is missing. he does have it. i have the video evidence....

here, take a look at alex head movement, and tell me if he does it as much now...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBGHGEjcmNc[/ame]
swingin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: head movement. a must for shorter boxers.

You'd know..... short arse
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

..the bobbing attack..or aggressive defence..Jack Dempsey style..or as mentioned..Smokin Joe style..
..Cus Damato taught it to Floyd Patterson before Iron Mike..
..and exactly as mentioned..Iron Mike abandoned it and turned into a one punch bully..and it was the beginning of the end for Mike Tyson..Mike was untouchable back when he moved his head..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..the bobbing attack..or aggressive defence..Jack Dempsey style..or as mentioned..Smokin Joe style..
..Cus Damato taught it to Floyd Patterson before Iron Mike..
..and exactly as mentioned..Iron Mike abandoned it and turned into a one punch bully..and it was the beginning of the end for Mike Tyson..Mike was untouchable back when he moved his head..
absolutely correct.

i believe alex needs to rediscover his natural movement to become are real great heavyweight.

ATM, he is a bit easy to hit when he stands in no mans land. in close he is perfect. at distance , well no one can hit eachother, but in no mans land, a real critical distance, if you can slip punches and counter, you are at an advantage.

alex already is excellent at getting in close without getting hit. add the head movement, moves him to another level....all he has to do is rediscover it, and train for it.

Last edited by swingin; 12-05-2012 at 01:18 AM.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

..make 'em miss..make 'em pay..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..make 'em miss..make 'em pay..
and alex has PAYLOADS......
swingin is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
Totalpac
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Man I'd love to see a sequel.
Totalpac is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
The Spider

vCash:

Alex Leapai is almost unrecognizable in the video. Most of that movement hasn't been in evidence in recent times. Plus he now weighs about 20 pound more.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Sally u idiot, Mike didn't purposely abandoned his head movement because of his trainer......... He got older and spent 3yrs in jail. Cus wouldn't have done shit against Lewis in 2002 when both fighters were in their mid 30's.

Mike reached his peak early 20's and that's the way life rolled for him.... good trainer, sluts, hangers on etc etc etc
kel is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Alex Leapai is almost unrecognizable in the video. Most of that movement hasn't been in evidence in recent times. Plus he now weighs about 20 pound more.

certainly is a different looking fighter now....just need the head movement to go with the 20lb of muscle hes put on..
Quote:
totalwank
Man I'd love to see a sequel.
DKP says no....
swingin is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I really dont understand how a boxer can be trained without the fundamentals of head movement??? It is as important as a good jab IMO. If your trainer is not showing you how, then its time for a new trainer.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighta29 View Post
I really dont understand how a boxer can be trained without the fundamentals of head movement??? It is as important as a good jab IMO. If your trainer is not showing you how, then its time for a new trainer.
I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, but there are some very poor trainers out there. Some fighters spend their lives hitting bags with very little in the way of quality instruction.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
maco_187
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, but there are some very poor trainers out there. Some fighters spend their lives hitting bags with very little in the way of quality instruction.
Definitely agree I'd never leave my gym for that reason alone I'd rather learn correctly all the different aspects of fighting even if I am a plodder head.movement is key
maco_187 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Tyson had the best head movement and lateral movement i have ever seen. Cus knew it was the only was a 5"11 fighter would become a champion

there is a clip where Tyson uses head movement to avoid 9 jabs in a row and its a mirror image of him in the gym with that ball on a string Cus used to throw at him. Left, right, left then right, bob down and then the big right hand. It was ****ing beautiful to watch
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Tyson had the best head movement and lateral movement i have ever seen. Cus knew it was the only was a 5"11 fighter would become a champion

there is a clip where Tyson uses head movement to avoid 9 jabs in a row and its a mirror image of him in the gym with that ball on a string Cus used to throw at him. Left, right, left then right, bob down and then the big right hand. It was ****ing beautiful to watch
Many were mesmerized by Tyson's power & persona. But his body movement & accuracy were second to none.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum