Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Dai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Why are British fighters treated the worst?

In the general forum, any time there is a thread about "who is the worst so and so" its always a brit?

Like worst glass jawed fraud is always Khan or Hatton, most overhyped joke is Hatton, biggest cherry picking bum is calzaghe.

Threads about Lennox Lewis is always he's not top 10 Atg, and he ducked prime tyson, holyfield and Bowe etc.

All of our prospects are always bums who will be exposed the minute they set foot on American soil

British fans are the worst on the site

David Haye is gay

Benn and Eubanks were terrified of James toney and would have been brutally raped by him

Etc etc etc

I just wonder because most British posters I think are quite good and our fighters aren't that bad but we are like the whipping boys of the site
Dai is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
sniffmybadger
trust me I'm a stomach
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Why are British fighters treated the worst?

I am convinced People that post in General are actually starting to mate with vegtables. I'd stay away from there
sniffmybadger is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Dai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well I agree.

I've had a laugh in the past with the Ricky burns fans but I hope they know it's just a bit on banter.

They are mental in that general forum
Dai is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Well I agree.

I've had a laugh in the past with the Ricky burns fans but I hope they know it's just a bit on banter.

They are mental in that general forum
In other words you got a taste of your own medicine on the general forum & didnt like it.

I hope you learned something today.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
Dai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
In other words you got a taste of your own medicine on the general forum & didnt like it.

I hope you learned something today.
Erm ok mate lol.
Dai is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Two things mainly. General's a bear pit at the best of times, and also they know there are a lot of Brit fans about so it's an easy bait.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

nah it's the poles who get the worst of the glass jaw treatment

the only time I really ever go to the general is when im pissed and looking for a laugh, always a good calzaghe thread to have fun with in there
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
Two things mainly. General's a bear pit at the best of times, and also they know there are a lot of Brit fans about so it's an easy bait.
Yeah it's mainly the Americans and the Brits about, when the Bute fans show up they get treated just as bad, same with the poles
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If any of us support a Brit were just "typical Brits buzzing off a hypejob" apparently
BretN is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

I love the General forum, it's great for a laugh.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

British fighters are treated like shit by American fans and pundits for the most part. They hate European fighters, but us Brits especially.

I feel it's because many in the USA don't want to accept the fact that they're not a powerhouse in the sport of boxing anymore, at least not as big of a powerhouse as they were a few decades ago. They won **** all at the Olympics and haven't had a American heavyweight champion in years (that's why the try and ignore the Klitschko bros legacy). They still like to believe that their fighters are better than everyone else's however.

They call Mayweather a living legend and one of the best ever. Do you think they'd call him that if he were from another country besides the USA? Not a chance I don't reckon. He'd just be a "good fighter" who "cherry picks his opponents" like they said about Joe Calzaghe.

American boxing fans have declined or are just not as interested in the sport anymore. If a Mexican fighter or a European fighter fights in his home country or city he sells it out. Very few Americans are able to do that.

All of this has contributed to many Americans feeling uncomfortable that their country isn't producing the amount of quality fighters they were in years past. So when a fighter from a foreign country (Britain especially) comes along to try and challenge one of their special guys they immediately slate and try to downplay him. (e.g. Hatton, Brook, Burns, Calzaghe and even Froch for a while as well). Only a handful of foreign fighters in the sport are treated well by the USA boxing media and that's only because of the fact they're based and promoted over there (e.g. Pacquaio, Khan and Lennox Lewis to name a few).

That's my opinion.

Last edited by PaulieMc; 12-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I never really go on the general only if I was extremely bored and the Brit forum was quiet, there are too many threads to keep up with. The few times I had been on there it was largely obnoxious american's that there is little point in debating with as they will rarely take your points on board or offer much interesting discussion back. They all slate Lewis then when a Klitschko argument comes up do the "Lewis TKO6" thing!

I can see why they think Brits are glass jawed as most of our fighters that appeared on American TV have been stopped in the last couple of years with Froch aside. High profile brutal KO's of Hatton (twice) and TKO for Khan against Garcia, plus to a lesser extent Murray, Macklin, Barker all getting stopped on american soil recently. They're not schooled enough in British or world Boxing to remember the chins of Clinton Woods, Eubank, Naseem Hamed, Calzaghe etc. Even Lewis, for a man with a glass jaw seemed to take Vitali and Holyfields best shots extremely well!
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
In the general forum, any time there is a thread about "who is the worst so and so" its always a brit?

Like worst glass jawed fraud is always Khan or Hatton, most overhyped joke is Hatton, biggest cherry picking bum is calzaghe.

Threads about Lennox Lewis is always he's not top 10 Atg, and he ducked prime tyson, holyfield and Bowe etc.

All of our prospects are always bums who will be exposed the minute they set foot on American soil

British fans are the worst on the site

David Haye is gay

Benn and Eubanks were terrified of James toney and would have been brutally raped by him

Etc etc etc

I just wonder because most British posters I think are quite good and our fighters aren't that bad but we are like the whipping boys of the site
McGuinty is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

There are quite a few reasonable guys over at the GF but they're sounded out by too many self-absorbed idiots. On the Americans criticising our fighters, it's simple for me. People from the US seem to have this notion that they were born with a bigger pot to piss in. Their post 1776 rhetoric and hatred for the UK is quite pathetic - US calls it bullshit I believe.

Every generation or so a shift takes place in almost every industry that shakes up the existing paradigm. It's happened in boxing and they don't seem to like it.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
ElCep
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Part of the hostility derives from tribalism, national rivalries, ignorance, etc. The UK is the US's little brother in the boxing world, so what occurs here will be critiqued by those overseas and will have greater scrutiny applied than that applied to some loud mouthed quasi-kraut in a Belorussian backwater.

Equal part of the hostility occurs because we've been unlucky with certain fighters getting a lot of hype but never really testing themselves on the big stage at the earliest opportunity, and generally not justifying that hype either with their skills or mentality if and when they do 'step up'.

Any fighter who comes along who is half decent and marketable is hyped up so much they feel obliged to pretend to be heir to the pound-for-pound throne. I now refer to that as Amir Khan Syndrome. Highly contagious, has spread to the Travelling community and Sheffield. Old school humility is the only known cure. Our media is dishonest with their expectations and analyses of fighters and it's no surprise that annoys people overseas.

Then there is the Calzaghe Deficiency, which is a type of German-influenza symptomatic of grabbing an empty accolade and using it to generate a lot of money in fights of little consequence over a number of unremarkable years. This disease has largely passed into history although Cleverly may present a carrier-risk.

If you notice, Carl Froch gets a lot of respect for those overseas. This is a guy who is hardly humble, but he hasn't had the hype, doesn't claim to be something he's not, and has consistently fought the best and maximised the effectiveness of his skill-set.

So, like I said, it's a mixture of reasons.
ElCep is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum