Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238
Default Khan: Offensively, I'm a good fighter. Defensively, I'm one of the worst fighters"

Quote:
"Already I see a big difference in my defense, especially sparring with the sparring partners I have, like Karim Mayfield, Mike Dallas, and a couple of other guys I have. I've sparred with some good sparring partners for this fight; better than the fighter [Carlos Molina] really I believe. Like I said, it's just going to be a different ball game when we get in the fight

I thought that's one thing that I need to work on. Offensively, I'm a good fighter. Defensively, I'm one of the worst fighters. I'm my own critic. I criticize myself, so I think I need to work on that. If you look at the past couple of fights, in Freddie's gym, we still kept doing the same things. We never really worked on defense, but maybe things were going right and that's why. I just needed a change I think. The change was to go somewhere different and have someone else telling me what to do and what not to do. It's always good to make a change I think. I mean, Freddie made me a 2-time world champion. I won the WBA and I also won the IBF, so he's done a lot for me in my career. I think with Virgil, I think he can take me to that next level now."
Full interview is down @ FightH. A very good interview, and again is acknowledging his flaws more than he has before.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Khan: Offensively, I'm a good fighter. Defensively, I'm one of the worst fighters

I think when Khan matures as a man and accepts who and what he is as a fighter, he'l be massively improved.

He may not be in many FOTY after that, but he wont be out of the sport either
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Khan: Offensively, I'm a good fighter. Defensively, I'm one of the worst fighters

Hopefully, it won't be a case against Molina of us having to see if he's improved defensively or not. The opponent is there for him to dominate and rebuild confidence, not to show off any new defensive techniques.

The next test should be the fight after Molina. It will be interesting to see where he goes and what we can find out about him now he's joined Hunter.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Dai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

He's gone to one of the best trainers in the game.

If he listens to Virgil and works hard to improve, he can do a lot
Dai is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

if we dig out interviews when he joined roach after presscott he said the same things.

nothing new here laz,why post the same thing ?
widdy is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
widdy
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
He's gone to one of the best trainers in the game.

If he listens to Virgil and works hard to improve, he can do a lot
see above,same things said when he joined roach
widdy is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

And rubio
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Glad to see Khan being honest and saying something sensible for a change. Normally it's "I'm a superstar this" and "it wasn't my fault I lost" that.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZDBXm11WXY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZDBXm11WXY[/ame]
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If he cant change under Virgils watch, he'll never do it.

I know Freddie Krueger is not the trainer he was, simply because of the parkinsons. But I dont think all the blame for Khans failings should sit at the door of Freddie Roach. Khan is his own worst enemy, he doesnt fight with common sense, he never has, and I dont know if even Virgil can train common sense, I think its on Khan to wake up and start using common sense, Virgil can only improve Khan as a fighter, buts its not the fight thats the problem, its Khans brain, and only Khan can change that.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
if we dig out interviews when he joined roach after presscott he said the same things.

nothing new here laz,why post the same thing ?
Uh, no he didn't. He was nowhere near as acknowledging of his own mistakes as he is now.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Moe
Journeyman

Fair play to him...

Just needs to start using his head and he'll do well...
Moe is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
widdy
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Uh, no he didn't. He was nowhere near as acknowledging of his own mistakes as he is now.
erm yes he was, and what do you mean 'no where near' so he was,but just a ikkle bit ,he was the same,admit it laz.
khan will not change,he boxed the same way all way through his career,it just works against some fighters but not all.
ive said all along,he is good,but not THAT good. hunter is just a trainer,not a miracle worker. remember,its the fighter what makes the trainer
widdy is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

Heard the other day this Molina fight is a 10 rounder.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
erm yes he was, and what do you mean 'no where near' so he was,but just a ikkle bit ,he was the same,admit it laz.
khan will not change,he boxed the same way all way through his career,it just works against some fighters but not all.
ive said all along,he is good,but not THAT good. hunter is just a trainer,not a miracle worker. remember,its the fighter what makes the trainer
Yes, nowhere near, meaning he didn't acknowledge his flaws in an honest manner and mentioned how he really needs to improve on them. His thought of improvement was probably in other things, and not so much defence, or maybe as he has said, he wasn't learning newer defensive skills from Freddie, and there is substance in that - just look at Manny.

Despite his losses, I've seen significant improvement in his arsenal and even though it's been a little, he's defensively a lot better than he used to be back in the old days. Losing or getting knocked out doesn't always mean that the fighter hasn't improved.

Well I think in Hunter's case, it's the trainer who makes the fighter. By the way, I'm not saying we're going to get some Khan 2.0, I just appreciate his honest assessment of himself, which he never used to be too smart on.
Lazarus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum