10-25 20 24.39%
Not top 25 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran a top-10 All Time Great?

These lists are damn difficult, but I can't see how it would be wrong to have in the top 10. One of the best, perhaps the, best LWs ever with two epic wins and several very creditable ones above that weight. Looks great on film as well.

You can't ask for much more than that.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #47
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Those sick bastards!
Might have something to do with the word that Charles wasn't particularly heralded even in his own time, something Burt has claimed probably a countless number of times on here, rarely ceasing to mention it, or that Ken Overlin - the "poor man's Greb" - outclassed him.

Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #48
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Pachilles has him in his top ten last I saw.
When you've been around here long enough you see that this forum works in a zodiac cycle. When i first joined here it was the year of Duran. With many and more people championing him and willingly accepting his excuse of needing a poo, amongst other warped and convenient excuses.

Its no longer the year of Duran and hasnt been for sometime, so i can stop pretending i dont consider him a top 10 ATG.

Who is beating him at LW? - Nobody

Who is beating Ray Leonard at WW? Maybe only Robinson - But Duran did

Which 30+ career LW is taking Hagler the distance and actually winning rounds? Or stepping in the ring with him in the 1st place? - Nobody, but Duran did
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #49
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Im not sure that's relevant. You have guys in 1910 saying George Zettlein threw as hard as Walter Johnson. Contemporary evaluations of a historical nature are often useless.
And these days they say Walter Johnson threw as hard as Randy Johnson.

Pedro > Koufax.

For he's the GOAT.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #50
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
When you've been around here long enough you see that this forum works in a zodiac cycle. When i first joined here it was the year of Duran. With many and more people championing him and willingly accepting his excuse of needing a poo, amongst other warped and convenient excuses.

Its no longer the year of Duran and hasnt been for sometime, so i can stop pretending i dont consider him a top 10 ATG.

Who is beating him at LW? - Nobody

Who is beating Ray Leonard at WW? Maybe only Robinson - But Duran did

Which 30+ career LW is taking Hagler the distance and actually winning rounds? Or stepping in the ring with him in the 1st place? - Nobody, but Duran did
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #51
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
And these days they say Walter Johnson threw as hard as Randy Johnson.

Pedro > Koufax.

For he's the GOAT.
Koufax isn't even the best lefty out there. And Maddux> Pedro if only because the greatest pitcher of all time shouldn't bear such a striking resemblance to a fat Britney Spears.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #52
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

As far as peak is concerned, he certainly is. And really, that's all that matters.

Peak Pedro is Untouchable, Montreal Duran is Untouchable, etc.

It's just the way things are.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #53
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
This is not just my viewpoint, this is an opinion shared by a whole lot of contemporary (for each era) experts.
A "whole lot of contemporaries" think that Frazier and Ali were "only in one good fight" and that Liston "wasn't that good?" I doubt it very much.

Quote:
I pointed out before, that Ken Norton, for example, was seen as the 5th worst heavyweight titlist of all time in 1981.
Might be reasonable, i'm not sure. It wouldn't stop him being an excellent contender which is the way he is generally viewed these days.

Quote:
Jimmy Ellis, who is also often brought up as one of the better contenders, was voted 7th worst
A weak champion can still be a good contender. In fact, becomes so almost by definition.

Quote:
Start reading Ring magazines, years by year, decade by decade, they are moaning that the heavyweight division is bad-bad-bad.
I have yet to read an era Ring opinion that views the HW division as strong. In the 90's, it was weak, Charles era, very weak, Louis era, weak, there are articles that claim boxing is dying due to the weakness of the HW division almost from the moment it was in print.

Either it was never strong even relative to itself or something else is going on.

You need to look a good deal further and farther than Ring to understand what was really happening.

Ali's resume is superb, and Ring magazine will almost certainly agree with me. The WBC certainly do.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #54
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If peak Pedro could pitch more than 6 innings a shot...
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #55
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
If peak Pedro could pitch more than 6 innings a shot...
He averaged closer to 8 than 6, actually. Stamina wasn't ever an issue until he tore his shoulder in 2001.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #56
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He averaged closer to 8 than 6, actually. Stamina wasn't ever an issue until he tore his shoulder in 2001.
Of course. I just forgot seeing as how he pitched so few innings. I mean, Pedros best season is no better than Dwight Goodens best season.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #57
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
The heavyweight division was always awful. Foreman was somewhere at the level of Dal Hawkins as a fighter. Liston is grossly overrated, he looks good on film, but his achievements are rather poor and he struggled against even mediocre opposition; maybe Jack Blackburn level of fighter. Frazier beat Ali the first time, the only fight that mattered between them. He is also overrated, because he only had one meaningful win - first fight with Ali. Other than that, he beat fighters of Kid McPartland or Dave Holly level. Norton, I'm tired to even speak about him. He was a journeyman of Henry Cooper level, basically. Somewhere between mediocre and good. Patterson - was past prime and a cripple when Ali beat him. If you look at either Gans' or Leonard's eras, they were ten times deeper and richer with talent than Ali's epoch at heavyweight.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #58
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Of course. I just forgot seeing as how he pitched so few innings. I mean, Pedros best season is no better than Dwight Goodens best season.
This is equivalent to not considering level of opposition in boxing and going strictly by W-L ratio, only more multifaceted.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #59
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Had I compared him to Carl Hubbell or Pete Alexander than quality of opposition might be an issue. But the mid 80's are barely over a decade away so the difference is not that great. Plus there's a theory that Pedros fantastic numbers are both a result of his low innings pitched and separation due to a high offensive environment.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #60
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Meh, he hurdled beyond the qualifier by leaps and bounds. His IP per start was amongst the best in the league, though his lack of starts in total hurts him. Maybe if he was pumping the Test and HGH everyone else was, his diminutive body wouldn't break down as often and he'd see faster recovery. It's his dominance of the (extremely) high offensive environment that makes his seasons unique. Nobody ever dominated a league so significantly as compared their contemporaries. The fact that he set records in terms of raw numbers is nothing short of astonishing.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum