Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Dai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Default Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

I've got a lot of appreciation for the man's talent.

But his resume is diabolical.

Even if you give him a pass for not fighting Jones, Hopkins or toney when they were near their primes, there is a ton of other people he could have fought, and beat who would have improved his legacy.

Glen Johnson, Antonio tarver, Kelly pavlik, sven ottke, Anthony Mundine, Carl froch, chad Dawson, jermain Taylor.

You'd back him to beat all of them but he didn't fight them.

Andre Ward eclipsed calzaghes entire career in two years.

Joe has to go down as a huge disappointment
Dai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
RobertV77
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

I would say it was a waste if he was anything special to begin with. He was just another pug so no big loss. He made a ton of money for doing very little so I guess taking the easy way out was worth it for him.
RobertV77 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
sniffmybadger
trust me I'm a stomach
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hammersmith
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned on here before?
sniffmybadger is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,296
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Considered the best Super Middleweight of all time,undisputed champion,undefeated,is very wealthy,future hall of famer,Im sure he sleeps well at night...
FIN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
D_Andrade
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 780
vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

He knew his limitations and was exposed in the Hopkins robbery!
D_Andrade is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Dai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN View Post
Considered the best Super Middleweight of all time,undisputed champion,undefeated,is very wealthy,future hall of famer,Im sure he sleeps well at night...
Considered the best super middleweight until Andre Ward.

Hell even froch is pushing him close for number 2
Dai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 2648
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
I've got a lot of appreciation for the man's talent.

But his resume is diabolical.

Even if you give him a pass for not fighting Jones, Hopkins or toney when they were near their primes, there is a ton of other people he could have fought, and beat who would have improved his legacy.

Glen Johnson, Antonio tarver, Kelly pavlik, sven ottke, Anthony Mundine, Carl froch, chad Dawson, jermain Taylor.

You'd back him to beat all of them but he didn't fight them.

Andre Ward eclipsed calzaghes entire career in two years.

Joe has to go down as a huge disappointment
He fought Hopkins near his peak. Hopkins was to blame for it not happening earlier.
iceferg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 2648
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Calzaghe beat people like Reid, Eubank, Hopkins, Lacy (who I don't care what you say went into the fight as an ex olympian with a 270-15 amateur record and unbeaten in the pros), Kessler, Brewer, Mitchell etc. It's easy to say that they're crap now but the only reason Froch's opponents are rated so highly is because of the super 6 media hype machine.

It's just too easy to say super middle was great then crap for 10 years while Calzaghe dominated it and now it's crap again. Rubbish.
iceferg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceferg View Post
He fought Hopkins near his peak. Hopkins was to blame for it not happening earlier.
Hopkins was like 43 years old. Not his physical / mental peak at all.

If anything his age showed in that fight and Calzaghe couldnt really take advantage.

A career wasted?

He made lots of money and had some great nights like Kessler. It could not be a wasted career by any stretch of the imagination.

Silly, done 100 times, boring thread.
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent. UK.
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 81
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

I won't indulge in this thread, my thoughts are well known and a 100% right.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 1635
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Considered the best super middleweight until Andre Ward.

Hell even froch is pushing him close for number 2
How is Ward ahead when his best win is against a guy Calzaghe beat 2 years earlier
ArseBandit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Moon
Posts: 844
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
I've got a lot of appreciation for the man's talent.

But his resume is diabolical.

Even if you give him a pass for not fighting Jones, Hopkins or toney when they were near their primes, there is a ton of other people he could have fought, and beat who would have improved his legacy.

Glen Johnson, Antonio tarver, Kelly pavlik, sven ottke, Anthony Mundine, Carl froch, chad Dawson, jermain Taylor.

You'd back him to beat all of them but he didn't fight them.

Andre Ward eclipsed calzaghes entire career in two years.

Joe has to go down as a huge disappointment
Pavlik was a hypejob, Ottke didn't want to fight Joe, Froch was barely a force when Joe was at SMW, He made an offer to both Pavlik and Taylor to fight the winner of the fight/ rematch can't remember which. Glen Johnson's Super middleweight career is very poor compared to LHW so not really relevant to Joe.

Hopkins also refused a career high payday to fight Joe in the US.

Ward's crowning moment is beating an older worse version of a fighter that Joe beat previously when Kessler didn't suffer from double vision. Joe also didn't use headbutts. Ward's resume isn't near to Calzaghe's yet. His legacy still has a way to go too I'm afraid. I want Ward to prove himself at 175 rather than drain LHW's down to SMW

These are facts, these are irrefutable, deal with it
moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypaysbills View Post
Pavlik was a hypejob, Ottke didn't want to fight Joe, Froch was barely a force when Joe was at SMW, He made an offer to both Pavlik and Taylor to fight the winner of the fight/ rematch can't remember which. Glen Johnson's Super middleweight career is very poor compared to LHW so not really relevant to Joe.

Hopkins also refused a career high payday to fight Joe in the US.

Ward's crowning moment is beating an older worse version of a fighter that Joe beat previously when Kessler didn't suffer from double vision. Joe also didn't use headbutts. Ward's resume isn't near to Calzaghe's yet. His legacy still has a way to go too I'm afraid.

These are facts, these are irrefutable, deal with it

According to who?

Bear in mind the money he got for De la Hoya
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Moon
Posts: 844
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
According to who?

Bear in mind the money he got for De la Hoya
This has been covered a million times so I'll just post you some links to read

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"A teleconference was set up in my office in New York for July 30th, 2002, and on the call was myself, Don King who was in the room, Frank ****** and Bernard Hopkins' lawyer, Arnold Joseph. Along with Arnold was a woman named Linda Carter, who was there on behalf of Bernard. We asked Arnold if Bernard wanted to fight Joe Calzaghe and we asked him how much money would he want if he did. The response we got was $3million and the fight would have to take place in the United States. After a little scratching of the head, we said 'Okay, done.' Frank ****** agreed on the spot, Don King agreed and we agreed so as far as we were concerned all parties were singing off the one hymm sheet. Arnold excused himself with Linda and I can only assume it was to call Bernard. Either that day or the next day, they came with a new demand: $6million, double the sum that had been agreed, the deal blew up.....he had then and still has no desire to fight Joe Calzaghe, that much is pretty clear."

Joe gets criticised sometimes for not having fought the big-name Americans, but in this case the fault has never rested with him."

Make your mind up based on all that. I for one think Bhop turned down a chance to fight Joe and was offer $6,000,000 according to one source
moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 2648
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe: a wasted career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
Hopkins was like 43 years old. Not his physical / mental peak at all.

If anything his age showed in that fight and Calzaghe couldnt really take advantage.

A career wasted?

He made lots of money and had some great nights like Kessler. It could not be a wasted career by any stretch of the imagination.

Silly, done 100 times, boring thread.
a) I know much more about boxing than you b) he was rated in the top 5 p4p c) he was going through his best run of performances at that time d) he was still world champion until 4 years later
iceferg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013