Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 450
Default Fights or Fighters you remember that "evolved" the skill sets in MMA?

Which fights or fighters do you remember that you think contributed to the development of today's MMA?

1. BRUCE LEE

2. Royce Gracie - for obvious reasons

3. Dan Severn - suplexing the hell out of Anthony Macias at UFC 4 and establishing wrestling as a dominant style in UFC

4. Fred Ettish - unwavering spirit in the face of absolute adversity

5. Marco Ruas - using leg kicks to immobilize and chop down Paul Varlens

6. Yuki Kondo - showing that the flyiing knee was a real move

7. Bas Rutten - first bare knuckle spinning back fist I ever seen actually work in Pancrase

8. Victor Belfort - Boxing and the importance of Hand Speed (speed kills etc)

9. Pele - first guy I saw who stopped BJJ with Muay Thai clinch and knees

10. Mark Coleman - introducing the ground n pound (I really can't stand watching ground n pound, but I know it can get the job done.)

11. Maurice Smith - when he KO'd Conan with a roundhouse to the head

12. Frank Shamrock - first guy I remember who introduced the importance of overall athletic performance to back up skills

I know there are more major contributors to the sport, but these are the competitors who I think were pioneers in what we see in MMA today. Anybody else who deserves to be on the list?

Last edited by SuperHut; 12-06-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added Bruce Lee to the top and Bas Rutten for his spinning back fist
SuperHut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: Fights or Fighters you remember that "evolved" the skill sets in MMA?

Winklejohn and Jackson's MMA
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: Fights or Fighters you remember that "evolved" the skill sets in MMA?

BJ Penn for his supreme confidence

GSP for his discipline and work ethic (just 31, but many young fighters have taken note)

JJ and his killer style, using every part of his body as a weapon with no care about your well being.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
BJ Penn for his supreme confidence

GSP for his discipline and work ethic (just 31, but many young fighters have taken note)

JJ and his killer style, using every part of his body as a weapon with no care about your well being.
Gotta agree with the BJ Penn. He might be the only guy I can think of who was talented enough to half ass his way to very top of his division.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Sakuraba.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Don Frye and the antidote to lay n' pray, headbuts - sadly to be banned shortly after.

Last edited by PIRA; 12-06-2012 at 05:31 AM.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

You pretty much summed it up. I would narrow it down to just four though:

Royce Gracie for introducing the world to Gracie Brazilian Jiujitsu.

Ken Shamrock for innovating "ground and pound" while Coleman was still hocking roids on the street corner.

Maurice Smith for bringing the first advanced kickboxing game to MMA supplemented by good jiujitsu defense.

Frank Shamrock for bringing it all full circle with good jiujitsu, good wrestling, good striking and excellent cardio.

Every fighter after these four is just a variation on what has already come before - IMHO.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post

Ken Shamrock for innovating "ground and pound" while Coleman was still hocking roids on the street corner.

Maurice Smith for bringing the first advanced kickboxing game to MMA supplemented by good jiujitsu defense.

Frank Shamrock for bringing it all full circle with good jiujitsu, good wrestling, good striking and excellent cardio.

Every fighter after these four is just a variation on what has already come before - IMHO.
You don't think Fred Ettish deserves a spot on the list?
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

I thought it was a good list but my four picks are just the way I see it. Fred even had a return match in MMA by the way. It's floating around on Youtube.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
BJ Penn for his supreme confidence...
gtfo...all he showed is where people in every other sport already knew. It doesn't matter how skilled you will get dominated if you don't work your ass off.
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeGlassedMe View Post
Sakuraba.
He did do a lot of original things in the ring, but nothing I can remember that impacted the sport on a technical level.

He does get credit though for being the only man to do a 90 minute fight, then come back out an hour later to take on Vovchanchin who had about 30 lbs on him.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #12
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:

rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:

I like this list, but I believe Severn earned a mention with his wrestling. Remember, because of the difficulty Rickson had in submitting Mark Schultz, Rorion refused to let wrestlers into the first few UFCs. Rorion wanted to be sure his brand had been made before taking a chance on watching Royce struggle with a wrestler. The strategy ultimately paid off, as the Severn win was probably Royce's best victory. Anyway, Severn went on to win the next event, and wrestling became a huge part of mma.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Travis Fulton
The Ironman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Travis fulton for fighting way more than he should ?
Travis Fulton is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Respectfully disagree fella, cant give this to Ken. Which fight pre UFC 10 are you thinking of, Im struggling to recall Ken throwing to many punches from the top On the other side of the coin, Coleman is KNOWN for taking guys down and punching them. As a strategy to win fights often and inspiring others to do so, Coleman is well deserving of being the ''innovator''
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum