Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #76
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551
Default Re: If Floyd Mayweather Jr fought in the 80's, he'd be one of the FAB. It'd be the Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic View Post
Floyd is like James Toney, whether or not when (if) he had stepped up to Welter in the 80s I don't think he gets knocked out by anyone, it could be a case of him being to small and getting outpointed or outworked, but its straight up disrespect to his defensive skills to suggest he'd get 'decapitated' by all of them.
He might beat Duran at 130.
And itīs a might, I favour Duran.
Maybe at higher weight depending how much better he can take the extra weight.

Last edited by dyna; 12-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
dyna is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #77
Brian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: If Floyd Mayweather Jr fought in the 80's, he'd be one of the FAB. It'd be the Fa

Quote:
Floyd is like James Toney, whether or not when (if) he had stepped up to Welter in the 80s I don't think he gets knocked out by anyone, it could be a case of him being to small and getting outpointed or outworked, but its straight up disrespect to his defensive skills to suggest he'd get 'decapitated' by all of them.
I was just thinking this.

The 'settled in' version of Mayweather is who we saw vs Mosley, who was still a damn good version, just more stationary. The Mayweather that fought Hatton still had the wheels, but is likely too small.
Brian is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #78
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I was just thinking this.

The settled in' version of Mayweather is who we saw vs Mosley, who was still a damn good version, just more stationary. The Mayweather that fought Hatton still had the wheels, but is likely too small.
if floyd tried to "settle in" with duran, leonard or tommy he gets "settled"...quick, too.

the only way he could beat duran, because he would have very little shot at leonard and no shot at tommy, would be to move, move and continue to move.

once he tries to settle in with duran, roberto would settle who is the better inside fighter like he did against leonard the first fight.
Quincy K is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #79
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
He might beat Duran at 130.
Maybe at higher weight depending how much better he can take the extra weight.

And itīs a might, I favour Duran.
i think just the opposite. floyd would have a better chance at the higher weights because duran was a straight out killer under 147.
Quincy K is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #80
leone25
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

He would duck all of them.. Floyd retired when he saw Mosley, Cotto, and Margarito were killing each other
leone25 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #81
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy K View Post
i think just the opposite. floyd would have a better chance at the higher weights because duran was a straight out killer under 147.
My third sentence "was at the wrong place" so to speak, I meant to say that I would favour Duran at 130, and I implied Mayweather takes weight better.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #82
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

130 and 135 its too close to call, maybe a draw. Floyd has no chance at 147 at least Montreal version of Duran which was the best. 154 I might favor Floyd, but then 154 was Tommy's best weight and I don't expect Floyd to have Tomnys speed or power at 154, but he could of replicated what Benitez and Laing did tho Duran had a different style by then, more conservative and his legs and speed were gone. 160 remains to be seen.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #83
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
If we're talking fab 4's nowhere as good as the original, how about Castillo/Corralles/Casamayor/Mayweather.
Except the Fab Four you listed is mythical, never happened, and features only one sure fire HOF'er. The featherweight-lightweight Fab Four I mentioned actually did happen, features 4 sure fire HOF'ers and the fighter of this generation.
Montero is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #84
Knickerbocker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montero View Post
Do you honestly think Floyd would fight any of these guys?

Duran (5'7", 66" reach, started at LW) - Floyd might fight him due to size
Leonard (5'10", 74" reach, legit WW) - doubt that Floyd fights him
Hagler (5'9", 75" reach, career MW) - Floyd wouldn't go near him
Hearns (6'1", 78" reach, huge WW) - Floyd avoids him until he's lost a few

Based on what we've seen of Floyd over his entire career, I think he'd probably only face 2 of the Fab 4. He's got the talent to hang with all 4 of these guys, but he doesn't have the balls to face them.
Knickerbocker is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #85
prelude
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Doubt it.

Floyd would face them and win some, lose some. It'd be great.
Floyd wouldn't even face an Asian midget what make you think he'll face them ...Flms.
prelude is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #86
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272

i doubt floyd fights any of them tbh. definetly not in there prime. he's price himself out or he'd claim he can't work with there promoter.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #87
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

This is the same Floyd that was rocked by feather fisted Demarcus Corley and an old Shane Mosley ..Hearns or Hagler would have knocked his block off ..
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #88
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
The only fights Floyd could win would be against Duran at 147 or 154. Leonard and Hearns would decapitate him.

Mayweather-Benitez would be very very interesting though
Duran would kill Floyd, man.

Floyd wouldn't want to get knocked out in public and just avoid him.
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #89
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Cotto was not a great like Hearns,Hagler,Duran and Benitez and Leonard. Neither was Castillo. I love Miguel as a fighter, but he lost to the elite level. Castillo was good, but not great. Floyd has not tried to fight the best. He really thinks he is going to fool people about his legacy. Fact is he has to fight Pacman. Even if he loses, it is better that he fight Pacman and lose then to not fight him at all. And I think Floyd can beat Manny.
Bullshit Floyd has fought more champion/contenders than Leonard. Just bc he doesn't have a opponent who is as popular as SRL, Hearns, or Duran doesn't mean his career was shit. At most it just means he may have a loss or two on his record.

And again, people who is holding on his struggling win over Castillo or Cotto needs to do some research that ALL OF THE ELITES IN THE PAST HAVE STRUGGLED as well. Most of them have losses against people they shouldn't even lose too. Only dumb ignorant poster will post that type of shit.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #90
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100000

The Fab four i wouldn't count Floyd out in defeating Duran at 130-140 or SRL at 130-140 range. It wouldn't be fair to pit him against them in higher weights bc they are all naturally bigger guys then him.

You put Floyd along with Pep, Camacho, and Whitaker then you know Floyd would be the boss. Those ATGs lack the size or power to prevent Floyd from outboxing their ears off.
tliang1000 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum