Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #31
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 483
Default Re: Clay vs Frazier FOTC

I look at it like this; if you now feel you would of been comfortable facing up to Ali from the mid 60s to the mid 80s and calling him Cassius Clay, then go ahead keep calling him that. But I doubt anybody on this Forum would of done that had they had the chance.

Offending someone can be classed as silly, idiotic and/or stupid, but it is rightly allowed. But calling someone a name behind their 'proverbial' back is at least a bit cowardly.
TBooze is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #32
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
I look at it like this; if you now feel you would of been comfortable facing up to Ali from the mid 60s to the mid 80s and calling him Cassius Clay, then go ahead keep calling him that. But I doubt anybody on this Forum would of done that had they had the chance.

Offending someone can be classed as silly, idiotic and/or stupid, but it is rightly allowed. But calling someone a name behind their 'proverbial' back is at least a bit cowardly.
I think I did it as a "funny" remark on Ali his broken jaw against Norton: Cassius CLAYjaw...
dyna is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #33
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

[quote=BillB;14336531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post

It's a matter of choice. One is free to refer to Clay or any of these people by their correct names or their assumed names. There is nothing wrong with either choice.

Rebuking someone for this is silly and shows a streak of sycophancy (ass kissing).
Well said Bill. I feel your in the right here (not that it's worth much :P) If he wishes to call Cassius Clay by his real name or by his more common referred to name Muhammad Ali is his choice and the fact Cobra, LittleRed and McVey are getting arsey about it is beyond me. I though you guys where better than that
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
A bigot is a person who is blinkered ,narrow minded, and intolerant.In describing you thus I was not insulting you, just giving my opinion of you from the posts of yours that I've read.
How do you make Ali out to be a bigot? He has given $$$$$ to charities ,including a $30,000 donation to keep an old peoples home operating in Germany.
He isn't perfect but he's done a hell of a lot of good ,what the **** have you ever done for anybody?
Why, and whom am I trying to impress ,certainly not you , because your opinion means jack shit to me.
Although this is true, look at the amount of money he has earnt. Im not trying to make myself look like a saint here, but I give 70 of my pay cheque to cancer research every month month. Considering I'm only 19 and work about 30 hours a week, it comes to about 10%. Does that make me better person than Ali? Of course not, even though I sacrifice a greater portion of my earnings than him. Celebrities giving money to charities is so common these days that I feel it's lost a lot of is meaning. To be fair, would I be right in saying, that back then it was a lot different?
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #35
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

How do you refer to Mike Tyson?

If it can be established that you and mcvey do not call him Malik Abdul Aziz, wouldn't that make you hypocrites as well as cowards?
BillB is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #36
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Although this is true, look at the amount of money he has earnt. Im not trying to make myself look like a saint here, but I give 70 of my pay cheque to cancer research every month month. Considering I'm only 19 and work about 30 hours a week, it comes to about 10%. Does that make me better person than Ali? Of course not, even though I sacrifice a greater portion of my earnings than him. Celebrities giving money to charities is so common these days that I feel it's lost a lot of is meaning. To be fair, would I be right in saying, that back then it was a lot different?
You're not the one calling Ali a bigot are you?
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #37
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post

If it can be established that you and mcvey do not call him Malik Abdul Aziz, wouldn't that make you hypocrites as well as cowards?
I would call him the name he wished to be known by ,it's a courtsey I would extend to any man.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #38
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

March 8,1971...biggest fight of my lifetime...saw it on closed-circuit tv that night...so much
electricity in the air...Frazier won the fight...no question...without Frazier there wouldn't have been anything happening...Joe did all of the fighting...Ali couldn't do anything with him that night...he was laying on the ropes...talking to Joe....at one point Joe pulled Ali off the ropes and tried to get him to fight...it was only after Ali's hangers-on started screaming
Ali won the fight that Ali started saying he thought he won...there was never any doubt at the time...or now...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #39
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=LittleRed;14336468]
Quote:

Mcvey said it much better than I did.

An much better than I could.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Why do you guys bite on this troll?

I say, let him, BillB and Pepe dicuss how "Cassius Clay" is as big a sham as climate change and evolution in peace. And then the rest of us can have some at least semi-serious debates in other threads.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #41
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Why do you guys bite on this troll?

I say, let him, BillB and Pepe dicuss how "Cassius Clay" is as big a sham as climate change and evolution in peace. And then the rest of us can have some at least semi-serious debates in other threads.

Sound advice,Bokaj
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #42
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post

Well said Bill. I feel your in the right here (not that it's worth much :P) If he wishes to call Cassius Clay by his real name or by his more common referred to name Muhammad Ali is his choice and the fact Cobra, LittleRed and McVey are getting arsey about it is beyond me. I though you guys where better than that
Woah, woah, woah...

I never get arsey. Crotchety, maybe, but not arsey. I was just posting a sarcastic reply because anyone who chooses to refer to him by his far, far, far less commonly used name - the name he chose to renounce - is doing so for a reason. That is, it is indicative of an agenda.

I don't see that as being arsey.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I would call him the name he wished to be known by ,it's a courtsey I would extend to any man.

That's certainly nice of you. Unfortunately, it's not the truth.

Here is a post of yours refereeing to Jersey Joe Walcott as "Mr. Cream".
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here you are in a thread using the word "Tyson" 31 times. Count 'em.
We all know that Tyson is now Malik Abdul Aziz. Why do you disrespect him?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
BillB is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #44
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post

I thought it was Mikhail Abdul Aziz? But this is a private name, and in public he uses the 'Mike Tyson' character. If he wishes to change that, I would respect that, and duly call him by this. Names are hardly things that it is worth causing offence over. I had no problem with Ali, or Qawi or the Muhammads or Wlad or Slugger O'Toole, for goodness sake.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #45
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I thought it was Mikhail Abdul Aziz? But this is a private name, and in public he uses the 'Mike Tyson' character. If he wishes to change that, I would respect that, and duly call him by this. Names are hardly things that it is worth causing offence over.

As would I. Who the **** cares what someone wants to call themselves?
salsanchezfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum