Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #46
Magges
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Yikes Manny Pacquiao Looks Skinny as Hell!!

no he doesn't. Pathetic thread
Magges is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #47
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 103865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy K View Post
mannys power comes from his legs and not his triceps.
+1.

Manny's calfs is ridiculously huge for his size which is why his punches is so explosive, like Tyson with tree trunk legs.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #48
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
Cause your ignorant and uneducated in that area.Thats why you spew bullshit all the time.I boxed still do and i do weightliftin reguraly as well.Im stronger and faster than i ever was.
Give me one study where it says that weighlifting is bad and will **** up your joints.Go
Hey man, that's not my job. Why don't you do it yourself. There are plenty of articles about how weightlifting has a tendency to lead to higher incidence of AC joint arthritis.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with your body mechanics, but it is what it is.

pecho, honestly, I kept things simple. I didn't ever feel the need to get into new scientific type of training because I was stronger that almost all of my contemporaries that were the same weight.

I mean, I was happy with my level of strength. I didn't feel the need to explore balistic training or any of that other bullshit that you espouse.

But from my own personal experience, I think bodyweight training is better for boxing. I didn't lose my speed and I didn't lose my power, but my endurance is better, I'm more fluid with my upperbody movement, I feel better, and honestly, I look better too.

And history is on my side. Look at the guys that lifted too many weights. Look at the guys who didn't lift.

Look at BHOP. He was never an avid weightlifter, but his longevity is off the charts.

In contrast, Lacy was way too musclebound, same with Tyson when he came back.

Can you even name many musclebound boxers that have succesful careers?

No.

Guys that are the best are Mayweather, Pacquaio, etc...

Guys like Urango don't do that well. Guys like Berto are always getting hurt.

But your argument is, "YOU NEED weightlifting to succeed in boxing." That's a terrible argument, pecho.
ROACH is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #49
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
Hey man, that's not my job. Why don't you do it yourself. There are plenty of articles about how weightlifting has a tendency to lead to higher incidence of AC joint arthritis.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with your body mechanics, but it is what it is.

pecho, honestly, I kept things simple. I didn't ever feel the need to get into new scientific type of training because I was stronger that almost all of my contemporaries that were the same weight.

I mean, I was happy with my level of strength. I didn't feel the need to explore balistic training or any of that other bullshit that you espouse.

But from my own personal experience, I think bodyweight training is better for boxing. I didn't lose my speed and I didn't lose my power, but my endurance is better, I'm more fluid with my upperbody movement, I feel better, and honestly, I look better too.

And history is on my side. Look at the guys that lifted too many weights. Look at the guys who didn't lift.

Look at BHOP. He was never an avid weightlifter, but his longevity is off the charts.

In contrast, Lacy was way too musclebound, same with Tyson when he came back.

Can you even name many musclebound boxers that have succesful careers?

No.

Guys that are the best are Mayweather, Pacquaio, etc...

Guys like Urango don't do that well. Guys like Berto are always getting hurt.

But your argument is, "YOU NEED weightlifting to succeed in boxing." That's a terrible argument, pecho.
Thats a GREAT argument.But if somebody doesnt do them and still succed,congratulations to em.
Once again this isnt 1969,you realize that?
Thats not your job and you dont know about it but you gonna go and say weights are bad,and you dont know anything about it?What does that tell you?Once again you dont loose speed while doing weights
Holyfield,Roy Jones jr,Floyd Mayweather,timothy Bradley...Here.
Im not going to this again,this has been done to the death.Believe what you want.
Cheers.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #50
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
Honestly, this is why I think calesthenics are the way to go. You can always make bodyweight more difficult.

You can do pistols for your legs for strength and pylometric jumping. There are a variety of pushing pulling movements for your upperbody, but it will leave you perfectly proportioned, plenty strong, and fluid, as well as explosive.

When you train weights extensively, you don't add so much of the tendon and ligament strength, but the external muscle strength that doesn't really add to your explosive power, but it can make you stronger in the sense that you can push people away, but it lowers your endurance.

Guys like Dempsey and Robinson who were PFP some of the hardest punchers the history of the sport, didn't lift weights, but it stop them from being able to knock a mother ****er out cold.

Tyson early on, didn't lift weights. When he did, he started slowing down because his endurance suffered, so he couldn't keep up that speed for the duration.
Calisthenics is definitely the best exercises for boxers and has been since the very begining. But targeted exercises with weights can also be beneficial if done in moderation.

The kinds of muscles you build by intensive weight training and the kind of muscles you need for boxer are WAY different. But you can introduce weights into a boxers routine that is more focused on building LEAN muscle mass instead of BULK muscle mass. Weights can also enhance exercises that produce the "fast twitch" muscle fibers that athletes need in sports that require a lot of explosiveness.

You can increase bodyweight resistance using different methods if someone is dead set AGAINST using weights....but I know a few boxing trainers and strength and conditioning coaches who aren't against weight training if they are doing the right kinds of exercises and in moderation.

Dempsey and Robinson were physical specimens in their day. They absolutely had the kind of work ethic and genetic make up that produced the kind of fighting machines that were around during the golden era of the sweet science.

Science is important when looking at the physiological make up of an Elite athlete. Knowing how the body works, the kinds of food, nutrients and supplements that increases recovery time and allows the body to work more efficiently is a necessity in these times. Sports and science at this level go hand in hand.

Weight lifting on the other hand doesn't necessarily go hand in hand.
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
thefightfan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 643

manny looks great to me, should have gone to specsavers mate
thefightfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum