Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 450
Default Re: Fights or Fighters you remember that "evolved" the skill sets in MMA?

Sorry, but Bruce Lee belongs at the top whether people like it or not.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #32
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Fights or Fighters you remember that "evolved" the skill sets in MMA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Gene LeBell. Now we're talking
Gene LeBell? I know him. Nice guy. Used to study under him back when he held classes at Gokor's gym on Sunset blvd., and I always see him chilling at the supply shop where he's always willing to talk about fighting and martial arts.

An interesting thing about him were his stick classes. He would teach us how to shoot in for a takedown, then secure the club/stick around legs or ankles and then force a takedown and submission. It was a good technique that worked and had it's place in the world.

I just always thought though, it would be more efficient to just hit the guy with the night stick because he was teaching street stuff that involved weapons and I didn't think it was a good idea to actively seek out a grappling situation when weapons are involved.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHut View Post
Sorry, but Bruce Lee belongs at the top whether people like it or not.
Try and tell Gene that.

Threads gonna get real pear shaped when even the OP disagrees with himself.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA View Post
Try and tell Gene that.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
blagovech
esbs #1 pedo
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
This thread was going so so well......why did you have to mention Bruce Lee!?!?

Yes his legacy is every where around us in combat sports and the wider world in general would look and be a very different place without Bruce and for that he'll always get respect.

But the thread title is about "fighters".

Even though for many Bruce is and was a god like figure & cited by just about every martial artist alive as an influence , was he ever a fighter? The problem with bringing Bruce into a thread like this is it's nothing but hypothetical. Unlike the fighters on the above list it'll always be a what if with Bruce.........
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
blagovech is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Try and tell Gene that.

Damn... suddenly everybody has become a spokesperson on behalf on Gene LeBell! gotta love it. If you work out over on Atoll or back when Gene was on Normandie, then I open to discussion. But if not, you're seriously just talking out of your ass and using my friend and teacher Gene's name to try to make yourself look like you know what you're talking about.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
I agree that Ken didn't attempt to pass Royce's guard in UFC5, but I remember it looking more like Ken, (despite training with the Machados to prepare for Royce) looking like he was afraid to get caught by Royce again.

It wasn't until the overtime round, after the artificial restart when Ken popped Royce in the eye, and then had an advantage and started working on Royce's eye and that's when I guess you could say he pioneered the GnP.
kens plan was to sit in royces guard and chop away with short punches and head butts for hours if he had to. the gracies got wind of his plan (probably through the machados) and introduced a time limit a week before the fight. ken introduced ground and pound to the ufc. this is indisputable. mark just worked at a more frantic pace because he didnt have to fight as long so he gets credit for popularising it.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #38
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Damn... suddenly everybody has become a spokesperson on behalf on Gene LeBell! gotta love it. If you work out over on Atoll or back when Gene was on Normandie, then I open to discussion. But if not, you're seriously just talking out of your ass and using my friend and teacher Gene's name to try to make yourself look like you know what you're talking about.

What the **** are you on about?

Bruce Lee never fought in any sanctioned full contact comp. Gene will tell you that.
Bruce Lee was taught grappling by Gene. Gene will tell you that.
You created a thread specifying "Fighters" and then put a non-fighter at the top of your list. Gene will tell you that.

So you train with Gene - what's your rank as a Judoka?
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #39
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yes. I put Lee at the top of my list.

And I know Gene taught Bruce Lee his grappling. It is common knowledge. Bruce in turn taught Gene a lot of his striking. They were both guys with a common interest in cross training who learned from each other.

And I did train with Gene. But it wasn't in Judo. A long time ago, I got his book on stick grappling and then enrolled in his stick grappling class at the old Hayastan gym and then the gym relocated. A few weeks ago I ran into him and was telling him about how I was still using a lot of what I learned from him in my regular training. He was very pleased, then we started talking about the US elections.

Go on ahead and test me all you like. I just posted the list on they guys who were pioneers in MMA. I know what I am talking about.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #40
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:

You created a thread specifying "Fighters" and then put a non-fighter at the top of your list.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #41
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Been spending less time on Eastside because of this type of stuff. I reckon I have more posters on ignore than read now. Another one added to the list.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #42
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

"You created a thread specifying "Fighters" and then put a non-fighter at the top of your list. "

Bruce Lee was a fighter. He just didn't compete in the UFC is all. He also pursued a career in movie acting and Hollywood stunts and choreographed fighting like Frank Shamrock, Randy Couture and Rampage Jackson have done.

Anybody who has done any real research into Bruce Lee knows that he did in fact get into fights and was willing and open to accepting challenges. I know that is very difficult for people to accept because they generally think fighting can only exist and has only existed in the Octagon with cage side doctors and Big John McCarthy.

Last edited by SuperHut; 12-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #43
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:

Been spending less time on Eastside because of this type of stuff. I reckon I have more posters on ignore than read now. Another one added to the list.
I have reason to believe he's a practitioner of Super Hutan Style. It's kind of a poor man's version of Gangnam Style. Enter "Super Hutan Style" into Google search and all will be revealed.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #44
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I have reason to believe he's a practitioner of Super Hutan Style. It's kind of a poor man's version of Gangnam Style. Enter "Super Hutan Style" into Google search and all will be revealed.
Actually, I'm a practitioner of many styles including the stick grappling techniques of the guy in your avatar.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #45
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Actually, I'm a practitioner of many styles including the stick grappling techniques of the guy in your avatar.
Strange that someone who trains doesn't understand Bruce Lee wasn't a full contact competitor. Yes he was a brilliant mover and unquestionably a martial arts legend. But get your facts straight

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum