Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #76
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: so ricky burns works part time in a sports shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Bit of top spin there, Dunky. Mi ole mucker. Jacobs put up a brave effort, but we can't class that as a knockdown. Jacobs didn't touch Pernell. Pete swang wildly with a left, missed the target and the momentum caused him to go off balance and to the canvas.
I know Slip my good man, I know I throw the Jacobs KD of Whittaker out there from time to time, my cheeky wee way of knowing who has actually watched the fight, maybe my all time favourite from a scottish perspective. So far you have been the only one to pull me up on it Much respect

You know me slip, I will put a positive spin on all things scottish, & I would argue that from one angle, & one angle only Pernell throws a big shot, Jacobs lands a cheeky wee hook to the upper ribs, Whittaker off balance hits the canvas, & Jacobs deserved the KD. Whittaker punching the canvas? Most would see it as pissed off at a bad call from the ref, the ref & I however would see it as Pernell frustration at being floored by the kid

That fight gives me goosebumps every time I watch it, a scotsman fighting the P4P numero uno, when I was old enough to remember it. Its so sad that hardly anyone in the UK nowadays knows anything about the fight, considering Jacobs gave Whittaker a better fight than Hatton did Mayweather & Pacquiao. Not a diss at Ricky, just pissed off that this fight wasnt even picked up in Britain, I had to find out the result from a local rag back in the golden era of british boxing, but internetless... these kids dont know bloody good they got it nowadays!

I could go on & on about the fight itself, the aftermath, & a certain sweet pea giving Gary Jacobs a phone call out of the blue many years later!

No-one really cares though, & how sad is that?
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #77
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennison View Post
Billy did you know you had a bogey hanging out your nose when doing the interview for transworld sports?
I've got a jungle of hair hanging out that hooter lol
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #78
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
I've got a jungle of hair hanging out that hooter lol
Maybe Ricky can get you a shift one saturday at DW sports and then you can get yourself an electric trimmer
Dennison is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #79
Larryboys
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knack View Post
What? A man, working? WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO!?
I don't think people are kncoking the guy for that, it's just pretty amazing that a guy who's a world champion, and along with that legitimately one of the very best fighters in his division, is not making enough money from boxing to be doing it fulltime. Though I read the story about him in the Ring, and it would appear he does it not because he has to in order to pay the bills, just he's friends with the owner and thinks it keeps him in reality a bit.
Larryboys is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #80
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I doubt its money so good on him if he wants to stay grounded and just have something random to get up for.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #81
boxingBenZilla

vCash: 500

whats wrong with him being a part time trainer salesman? he is fighting a taco salesman....
boxingBenZilla is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #82
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
I know Slip my good man, I know I throw the Jacobs KD of Whittaker out there from time to time, my cheeky wee way of knowing who has actually watched the fight, maybe my all time favourite from a scottish perspective. So far you have been the only one to pull me up on it Much respect

You know me slip, I will put a positive spin on all things scottish, & I would argue that from one angle, & one angle only Pernell throws a big shot, Jacobs lands a cheeky wee hook to the upper ribs, Whittaker off balance hits the canvas, & Jacobs deserved the KD. Whittaker punching the canvas? Most would see it as pissed off at a bad call from the ref, the ref & I however would see it as Pernell frustration at being floored by the kid

That fight gives me goosebumps every time I watch it, a scotsman fighting the P4P numero uno, when I was old enough to remember it. Its so sad that hardly anyone in the UK nowadays knows anything about the fight, considering Jacobs gave Whittaker a better fight than Hatton did Mayweather & Pacquiao. Not a diss at Ricky, just pissed off that this fight wasnt even picked up in Britain, I had to find out the result from a local rag back in the golden era of british boxing, but internetless... these kids dont know bloody good they got it nowadays!

I could go on & on about the fight itself, the aftermath, & a certain sweet pea giving Gary Jacobs a phone call out of the blue many years later!

No-one really cares though, & how sad is that?
Love the avi!

That is the smallest head compared to body size I've ever seen
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #83
psyenz

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
A sad state of affairs when someone gets mocked for doing an honest days work. Good luck to Ricky.
^this
psyenz is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #84
Daviddee1983
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

This has got 6 pages because the guy does a bit if work in his local sports store.. Surely something has to be done has anyone phoned the Police?? Maybe he just does it for the employee discount?? Shocking Billy your going to need to have a word with Ricky it's Boxing or Sports shop!!!
Daviddee1983 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum