boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #2686
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

That's because he was a poor man's Marco Antonio Barrera.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #2687
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

JMM vs Victor Polo

12-0, Marquez. Maybe there was a Polo round but i didn't see it. Marquez was masterful and **** i love that man's ring generalship. owned that ****ing ring and a very good, if not elite, fighter. pacing, combos, everything were tremendous. he looks like a k-mart version of ricardo lopez
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #2688
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also watching Marquez-Barrera

Barrera was FANTASTIC in the first half and i really believe that his performance, well past his very best, against a peak marquez show his true quality.

Round 7 was great for marquez until the knockdown. The bull****, horrible call, turned a 10-8 barrera round into a 10-8 marquez round. I don't know if the ref told barrera to stop when marquez went down...he seem to pause like he was waiting for a call before he (foolishly) hit jmm

either way, barrera was awesome and scored a clean knockdown
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #2689
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Unfortunately his worst ever performance is sandwiched in between the 1st and 3rd Torres fights.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #2690
Ivan Drago
You Will Lose.
ESB Jr Member

Watched Mayweather vs Castillo I today:

Round 1 - Mayweather 10-9
Round 2 - Mayweather 10-9
Round 3 - Mayweather 10-9
Round 4 - Mayweather 10-9
Round 5 - Castillo 9-10
Round 6 - Castillo 9-10
Round 7 - Castillo 9-10
Round 8 - Even 9-9 Castillo deducted 1 point for hitting on the break
Round 9 - Mayweather 10-9
Round 10 - Even 9-9 Mayweather deducted 1 point for repeated use of elbow.
Round 11 - Castillo 9-10
Round 12 - Castillo 9-10

Draw 113-113

Very close rounds I find the judges scorecards a little suspect but I feel like a lot of Mayweathers defensive work got overlooked and although Castillo was the aggressor, Mayweather did well at neutralising it so it was not always effective aggression. Still he did not do enough good work to establish his own pace and Castillo kept coming so I think a draw is propably a fair result.
Ivan Drago is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #2691
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Unfortunately his worst ever performance is sandwiched in between the 1st and 3rd Torres fights.
You know who never had those sort of performances.
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #2692
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Torres might well have iced Lopez.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #2693
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

I was actually going to say Mayweather, but Torres ice Lopez! Never! The sun would fall from the sky first!
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #2694
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #2695
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Larry Holmes SD Ken Norton

I had Holmes taking the first five rounds on the stiff jab and general class. He just looks the superior fighter across the board. What's interesting is that as a precision instrument, when he starts to tire - and both these guys are tired at the end of fifth based upon a medium-hot pace made all the more difficult by the persisting, stalking Norton style - he suffers more from fatigue than Norton. Larry is straight-backed in essence but graceful and supple with this. Norton is more lurching, untidy, a looping overhand right and a less concise jab happily defined by the shifting Norton stance/hand positioning. Because he's a much rougher tool, when he starts to flag it doesn't affect his style. Meanwhile Holmes, who never looked faster than in these first five rounds, starts to fall a fraction behind in pulling his head back and getting his hands up. Norton is physically just as affected by the pace and style of the fight but it stranslates differently because of his rougher style.

What this means in practice is that after banking the first five on my card, Norton goes on his own little run, taking 6-11 on my card. Lots of these rounds - 7,8,10 - were really really close in my opinion. The seventh for example would be scored even by many but I thought that Norton shaved it on aggression and general hustle.

In the ninth, when Norton found his right hand range in earnest, things look pretty bad for Holmes who does almost nothing in the 10th, giving the round away by default. The first really close round that went to Larry on my card rather than Ken was the 12th which I scored for Holmes. In the 13th the Easton Assassin spent his reserves on as destructive a round ever seen at HW that did not produce a KD and could arguably be scored 10-8 but it left Larry with almost nothing, and he gift-wrapped the 14th before rallying in that infamous 15th - a round I thought Norton also shaded despite the horrible destruction reigned down upon the champ in the last 20 seconds. This gave me:

NORTON: 6,7,8,9,10,11,14,15
HOMLES: 1,2,3,4,5,12,13*

So I have it to Norton. I don't say he won, however, for a few reasons, mostly that this is a very close fight and you can score it either way reasonably, not least because of all the close rounds - 3/4 of which went to Norton on my card. Reverse that ration (and you could do so) and Holmes is ahead on my card. Furthermore, whilst i'm very very conservative about it I do really think you could make 13 a 10-8 round which makes this a draw on my card.

Certainly no definitive winner in this scorcher.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #2696
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 527

^Thats a boxing match for ya. Great fight.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #2697
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Larry Holmes SD Ken Norton

I had Holmes taking the first five rounds on the stiff jab and general class. He just looks the superior fighter across the board. What's interesting is that as a precision instrument, when he starts to tire - and both these guys are tired at the end of fifth based upon a medium-hot pace made all the more difficult by the persisting, stalking Norton style - he suffers more from fatigue than Holmes. Larry is straight-backed in essence but graceful and supple with this. Norton is more lurching, untidy, a looping overhand right and a less concise jab happily defined by the shifting Norton stance/hand positioning. Because he's a much rougher tool, when he starts to flag it doesn't affect his style. Meanwhile Holmes, who never looked faster than in these first five rounds, starts to fall a fraction behind in pulling his head back and getting his hands up. Norton is physically just as affected by the pace and style of the fight but it stranslates differently because of his rougher style.

What this means in practice is that after banking the first five on my card, Norton goes on his own little run, taking 6-11 on my card. Lots of these rounds - 7,8,10 - were really really close in my opinion. The seventh for example would be scored even by many but I thought that Norton shaved it on aggression and general hustle.

In the ninth, when Norton found his right hand range in earnest, things look pretty bad for Holmes who does almost nothing in the 10th, giving the round away by default. The first really close round that went to Larry on my card rather than Ken was the 12th which I scored for Holmes. In the 13th the Easton Assassin spent his reserves on as destructive a round ever seen at HW that did not produce a KD and could arguably be scored 10-8 but it left Larry with almost nothing, and he gift-wrapped the 14th before rallying in that infamous 15th - a round I thought Norton also shaded despite the horrible destruction reigned down upon the champ in the last 20 seconds. This gave me:

NORTON: 6,7,8,9,10,11,14,15
HOMLES: 1,2,3,4,5,12,13*

So I have it to Holmes. I don't say he won, however, for a few reasons, mostly that this is a very close fight and you can score it either way reasonably, not least because of all the close rounds - 3/4 of which went to Norton on my card. Reverse that ration (and you could do so) and Holmes is ahead on my card. Furthermore, whilst i'm very very conservative about it I do really think you could make 13 a 10-8 round which makes this a draw on my card.

Certainly no definitive winner in this scorcher.
nice scorecard, great ****ysis and justification. my only (minor) disagreement is the 15th but like you said there were so many close rounds, that amongst them, there's reasonable cause for giving it to either man
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #2698
KidJackal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2323

Watched Leonard v Hagler in it's entirety for the first time the other day, loved it as a fight, some much dram and emotion in it. Hagler completely blew it for me with the slow start and switching stances, that and not taking advantage of the fact that Leonard was gone from about the 5th or 6th round. Great performance from Leomard though, did exactly what he needed to nick the decision and showed serious ***** sticking it out til the end.

I had it 7-5 in favour of Leonard, can't remember the rounds I scored in the second half though... Had it 5-1 Leonard through six.
KidJackal is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #2699
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
You know who never had those sort of performances.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"remember that time i lost...? neither do I!!"~ Ricardo Lopez
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #2700
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

I just watched Julio Cesar Chavez's systematic destruction of Greg Haugen. Definitely one of my favourite one-sided fights to watch. No mug by any means, Haugen was dominated from the first bell taking stiff right hands, and being pulverized to the body by Chavez's patterned left hook. I've never seen a better combination puncher to body and head than JCC and this fight demonstrates his abilities to mix it up perfectly. Beautiful offensive display by JCC.
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum