Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Punching power is "all attitude" - your thoughts?

Little Red made an interesting point - that punching power is "all attitude."

Do you somewhat agree with this? The biggest hitters I can think of (pfp), Ketchel, McClellan, Benn, Tyson, Gomez, Foreman all seemed to be pretty mean spirited and angry. How much do you reckon the emotional aspect and increased aggression plays in the punching power?
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551
Default Re: Punching power is "all attitude" - your thoughts?

It maybe has a part in it...
Wlad is frequently called the hardest hitter by sparring partners.
Including ones who have sparred foreman , Lewis and Tua.

Wlad isn't really a mean guy.

Vitali is much more mean and doesn't punch half as hard.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
It maybe has a part in it...
Wlad is frequently called the hardest hitter by sparring partners.
Including ones who have sparred foreman , Lewis and Tua.

Wlad isn't really a mean guy.

Vitali is much more mean and doesn't punch half as hard.
I agree with you. However watch Vitali fight and although he appears 'mean' he doesn't fight 'mean.' And it's only when Wlad gets more aggressive that he starts KO'ing people. Guys like Benn and Tyson fight like their opponent ****ed with their family.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I think what he probably meant was an attitude to actual punching.
that would make sense. or almost a committment to punching, which i think is wicked important. fighters like marciano, tyson, hearns, etc. threw punches with the intent of hurting, not scoring.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i think some truth to all of this...but it is also a athletic physical exercise...we wouldnt say that being able to run a sub 10 second 100 meters is ALL attitude.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
MURK20
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Some fighters are just very heavy handed. Foreman for example could hurt or move fighters with glancing blows.
MURK20 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
i think some truth to all of this...but it is also a athletic physical exercise...we wouldnt say that being able to run a sub 10 second 100 meters is ALL attitude.
Clearly. I meant at the world.class level where, with the exception of someone of Ricardo Mayorga, everyone had elite athleticism and technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I think what he probably meant was an attitude to actual punching. I find that if you aim to punch through your target, rather than punch at your target, you generate more force.
Which leads to-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
that would make sense. or almost a committment to punching, which i think is wicked important. fighters like marciano, tyson, hearns, etc. threw punches with the intent of hurting, not scoring.
Bingo! A guy like Harold Johnson could, and did, really hurt guys. But he didn't have the 'commitment to punching' of some other guys. To be a powerpuncher, there is a certain attitude in addition to obvious technical issues (which I might say are informed by attitude instead of vice versa).

Of course being a mean son of a bitch helps.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Wenpire
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

It helps. Most hard hitters have had bad experiences in their lives. Tyson was bullied and abused by boys and men, pacquiaos dad ate his dog and abandoned him and he had to beg on the streets, tua was thrown into cages from a very young age to fight, Liston was abused by his father, foreman was always running from the police....... That's where alot of the anger comes from. And anger makes u fight ferociously. Once these guys became famous and started having mony and women though the anger slowly fades away, and so does their boxing ability.
Wenpire is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenpire View Post
It helps. Most hard hitters have had bad experiences in their lives. Tyson was bullied and abused by boys and men, pacquiaos dad ate his dog and abandoned him and he had to beg on the streets, tua was thrown into cages from a very young age to fight, Liston was abused by his father, foreman was always running from the police....... That's where alot of the anger comes from. And anger makes u fight ferociously. Once these guys became famous and started having mony and women though the anger slowly fades away, and so does their boxing ability.
good point, ^ reminds me of what micky said to rocky 'you did the worst thing a fighter could - you got civilized!'
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

some people are born punchers and some can learn to punch better with leverage
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It can't hurt, I guess. But I don't think it's much of a factor. If it were then Ace Hudkins, Mysterious Billy Smith, Ad Wolgast and Chuck Wiggins would be the most devastating hitters in boxing history and Max Baer, Mike Weaver and Alexis Arguello couldn't pop a balloon.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

All attitude. No. Genetics an structure.
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
It can't hurt, I guess. But I don't think it's much of a factor. If it were then Ace Hudkins, Mysterious Billy Smith, Ad Wolgast and Chuck Wiggins would be the most devastating hitters in boxing history and Max Baer, Mike Weaver and Alexis Arguello couldn't pop a balloon.
Its my fault for using an ambiguous word. I didn't mean attitude as in temperament- I meant attitude as in intent. Pure meanness has very little to do with the attitude of a puncher. Its a commitment, like a home run hitter in baseball,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnxhands View Post
All attitude. No. Genetics an structure.
That's just not true. Look at my Harold Johnson example earlier- Johnson was made out of steel and concrete and was quick to boot. When he.wanted to Jr could crack, as in the Andrews fight. The guy hurt Doug Jones more than Foster did and Foster landed solid. But stylistically, consciously, Johnson wasn't a puncher. He choose not to be one.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Ive been thinking about it more. And in a way i think what you say makes sense, in a way it does take attitude an a pretty wreckless mindframe, a lot of people pull their punches an dont follow through because its not natural to punch hard an put your hands and arms in that postion. if what i said even makes sense its hard to explain what i mean. but i see what your saying n agree in a way
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Its my fault for using an ambiguous word. I didn't mean attitude as in temperament- I meant attitude as in intent. Pure meanness has very little to do with the attitude of a puncher. Its a commitment, like a home run hitter in baseball,

That's just not true. Look at my Harold Johnson example earlier- Johnson was made out of steel and concrete and was quick to boot. When he.wanted to Jr could crack, as in the Andrews fight. The guy hurt Doug Jones more than Foster did and Foster landed solid. But stylistically, consciously, Johnson wasn't a puncher. He choose not to be one.
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBumboclart View Post
Little Red made an interesting point - that punching power is "all attitude."

Do you somewhat agree with this? The biggest hitters I can think of (pfp), Ketchel, McClellan, Benn, Tyson, Gomez, Foreman all seemed to be pretty mean spirited and angry. How much do you reckon the emotional aspect and increased aggression plays in the punching power?
No....

They became like they were because of their power if you had their power and could knock out anybody and are the most feared man in the world it can go to your head, It also goes to the way your life has gone, there will be guys who don't hit hard who are angry and have the ''attitude'' your talking about Tyson was a whimpy kid he said fat and scared and said he beat up a guy in his first fight he must of had power then. Liston and Foreman were like that because Liston was treated like a thug and Foreman because he said the easiest way to deal with people was like he saw Liston do because nobody would mess with him,

Rocky Marciano said he didn't like boxing because of the ruthlessness he had to have and he was one of the nicest guys ever yet he hit like he did...

By your logic guys like Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis, David Tua, Max Baer, Tony Zale, Floyd Patterson should hit like sissies? because they didn't have the attitude your talking about....

And so i guess a guy like Pernell Whitaker had that attitude so i guess he must of had INSANE punching power i guess he just never wanted to use it ....
Theron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum