Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Re: Punching power is "all attitude" - your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
It can't hurt, I guess. But I don't think it's much of a factor. If it were then Ace Hudkins, Mysterious Billy Smith, Ad Wolgast and Chuck Wiggins would be the most devastating hitters in boxing history and Max Baer, Mike Weaver and Alexis Arguello couldn't pop a balloon.

Exactly... should have read the comments before i commented i just couldn't believe the first few agreed kind of and needed to reply
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
No....

They became like they were because of their power if you had their power and could knock out anybody and are the most feared man in the world it can go to your head, It also goes to the way your life has gone, there will be guys who don't hit hard who are angry and have the ''attitude'' your talking about Tyson was a whimpy kid he said fat and scared and said he beat up a guy in his first fight he must of had power then. Liston and Foreman were like that because Liston was treated like a thug and Foreman because he said the easiest way to deal with people was like he saw Liston do because nobody would mess with him,

Rocky Marciano said he didn't like boxing because of the ruthlessness he had to have and he was one of the nicest guys ever yet he hit like he did...

By your logic guys like Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis, David Tua, Max Baer, Tony Zale, Floyd Patterson should hit like sissies? because they didn't have the attitude your talking about....

And so i guess a guy like Pernell Whitaker had that attitude so i guess he must of had INSANE punching power i guess he just never wanted to use it ....
All of those guys were animals in the ring. Marciano was friggin ruthless as was Joe Louis, in the first 1-3 rounds David Tua was a pitbull on roids, Max Baer killed a guy because he got so mad at him laughing at him e.c.t. And I will never forget Patterson's slightly dark take on 'revenge' in his one interview about boxing
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBumboclart View Post
Little Red made an interesting point - that punching power is "all attitude."

Do you somewhat agree with this? The biggest hitters I can think of (pfp), Ketchel, McClellan, Benn, Tyson, Gomez, Foreman all seemed to be pretty mean spirited and angry. How much do you reckon the emotional aspect and increased aggression plays in the punching power?
You've got to have the cash in the bank to back up the check that you write, y'know what I mean? Attitude is nothing without the necessary physical attributes that lend power.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #19
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
All of those guys were animals in the ring. Marciano was friggin ruthless as was Joe Louis, in the first 1-3 rounds David Tua was a pitbull on roids, Max Baer killed a guy because he got so mad at him laughing at him e.c.t. And I will never forget Patterson's slightly dark take on 'revenge' in his one interview about boxing
He may have hated himself for hating Johansson so much for that rematch, but that version of Patterson makes you wonder how he would be rated today if he could have found it in himself to summon up that same cold fire in the rest of his fights. He was way too nice a guy, I think.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The question most of them seem to be pretty mean spirited and angry, he's talking about in and out the ring how would ketchel be known for being an asshole to people outside of the ring when he;s in it fighting, was Max Baer and asshole out of the ring? what about Tua? that's what the question is not in the ring
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh k awesome i'll become an asshole and then walk in the gym and become a monster destroyer coool, so when my personality changes so do my genetics.... wish i knew that a while back
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #22
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

no

Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
Kendom
Journeyman

Quote:
You've got to elaborate
Kendom is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #24
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

My coach calls it putting that extra "**** you" into your shots. I think it helps if you can genuinely enjoy hurting people, not just winning. It's a little sick but it's true :/
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #25
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
You've got to have the cash in the bank to back up the check that you write, y'know what I mean? Attitude is nothing without the necessary physical attributes that lend power.
I agree.
If attitude is everything, then a 14 year old girl could punch as hard as George Foreman, if she has the right attitude.
BillB is online now  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #26
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I would say All confidence before I would say All attitude.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #27
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
I agree.
If attitude is everything, then a 14 year old girl could punch as hard as George Foreman, if she has the right attitude.

My 14 year old son knocked me down twice just sparring, and I am an X fighter...But my son has what I call double power, he has KO power in both hands, ive never had that ( not to mention even though hes only just turned 14, hes bigger than I am....And your right when he shows attitiude he puts some real power behind his shots.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum