Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #61
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jeffries v Quarry

They also fought in much bigger rings in those days. Smaller more agile hwts were that much more difficult to catch. Tom Sharkey is considered an all time great that would have been champion if he were not fighting in an era of even greater fighters.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #62
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
Fleischer rated Jeffries as the "best left hand puncher". Being a converted Southpaw he must have carried quite a wallop with that punch. Rickard who did see Jeffries rated him the hardest puncher he ever saw including Dempsey. This as well as threads questioning Ali, Louis and Dempseys greatness ad re revisionism in it's worst form. Just pure trash.
Because we don't happen to agree with you ,our posts are pure trash? You've produced ZERO evidence to back up your position yet we are mugs? Ok ,at least we know where we stand with you.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #63
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=janitor;14352536]
Quote:

Of course if you will insist on the comparison, then you could hardly use Quarrys performence against Chuvalo to bolster your argument.
No, I absolutely could. I already made mention of the 'lost the count' debacle, remember? Or is this selective reading? Quarry got clipped on the temple and went down. He got up and then decided to take a knee. Zack Clayton tolls 10 and Quarry gets up screaming at him. The commentator interviews Jerry and asks him where did he lose the count and Jerry says "at nine". Jerry was always a bit of a head-case, like jack Sharkey before him. But now let's talk about the the 6 1/2 rounds before getting clipped on the temple. What happened? Jerry counte-punched Chuvalo into a swollen, bloody mess and there is no doubt that fight was going to be stopped. Look, dude, I just happen to be one of these people who do not believe what I am told. I trust my baby-blues and I have never been impressed in the footage I have seen of Jeffries. Some people form their own opinions and others believe what a writer said 100 years ago and take it sight unseen. I fall into the former.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #64
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

What is the best footage of Jeffries and is it good enough to justify a Jeffries pick?
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #65
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
They also fought in much bigger rings in those days. Smaller more agile hwts were that much more difficult to catch. Tom Sharkey is considered an all time great that would have been champion if he were not fighting in an era of even greater fighters.
Are you saying that Sharkey was more agile? He was certainly smaller. Sharkey was a face first brawler, whom a teenage Jack Johnson embarrassed in sparring,prompting Sharkey to say to his corner," tell him to hold his head up so I can hit it", to which they replied," you're boxing him , you make him hold his head up."

Sharkey was one of the dirtiest fighters that ever got in a ring .
After being comprehensively out boxed for nearly 3 rds by Choynski he began to blatantly foul. Sharkey beat a 158lbs Kid McCoy,who had him on the floor twice,and a Corbett who had been retired for 2 years, and not won a fight for 4 , which other great fighters did he beat ?
Please don't say Fitz

The rock of your argument is Rickard ,who was never hit by Jeffries, those that were, Corbett, Fitz ,Sharkey, Johnson ,all tabbed Choynski as the bigger puncher with Fitz a close second. Your other star witness Fleischer was not only never hit by Jeffries, I doubt he ever saw him land a punch in a fight, unless it was in his abortive comeback against Johnson.

Last edited by mcvey; 12-08-2012 at 02:04 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #66
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
What is the best footage of Jeffries and is it good enough to justify a Jeffries pick?
The footage would not justify such a pick, but then it would not justify picking Quarry either.

There is no default assumption in favour of the fighter who is known from better quality film.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #67
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
The footage would not justify such a pick, but then it would not justify picking Quarry either.

There is no default assumption in favour of the fighter who is known from better quality film.
Aaah , but you're forgetting the training clips of Jeffries throwing around his oaf of a brother. They conclusively prove Jeffries was not only Superman, he was a defensive genius.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #68
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
I just happen to be one of these people who do not believe what I am told. I trust my baby-blues and I have never been impressed in the footage I have seen of Jeffries. Some people form their own opinions and others believe what a writer said 100 years ago and take it sight unseen. I fall into the former.
Don't you see that on a certain level, you are "believing what you are told". You are unquestioningly accepting a hackneyed revisionist interpretation of Jeffries record, passed around by people who know little about the era.

That to my mind is worse than assuming that Jeffries was the second greatest heavyweight of all time, because Nat Fleischer said so. If you were really a critical thinker, you would go back to the contemporary newspaper accounts, and try to work out what actually happened.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #69
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Aaah , but you're forgetting the training clips of Jeffries throwing around his oaf of a brother. They conclusively prove Jeffries was not only Superman, he was a defensive genius.
They don't prove anything, but they do lend credibility to statments made by some contemporary observers about his speed and other qualities.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #70
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:

I agree whole heartedly and that's why I havnt and can't make a pick.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #71
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
They don't prove anything, but they do lend credibility to statments made by some contemporary observers about his speed and other qualities.
Which should we believe the actual fight footage of Jeffries, or clips of him skipping, and throwing a sparring partner around?

Last edited by mcvey; 12-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #72
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

With no justifiable film footage available on Jeffries, your opinion on his greatness is based on what you've been told. Is that correct?
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #73
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Footage of Jeffries

I read an article covering Eddie Machen back in the early sixties. It was mentioned that Machen carefully studied film of past fighters in passing. The author asked Machen to rate the old champs and he gave this rating

1--Dempsey
2--Johnson
3--Louis
4--Tunney
6--Jeffries

Machen remarked about Jeffries that he liked "his quick hands and combinations"

I am pretty certain I am remembering that correctly.

I have wondered myself what film convinced Machen of this. But there is a point in the Johnson fight in which Jeffries flurries with both hands and for a big fellow he threw a lot of leather quickly.
edward morbius is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #74
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

"your opinion on his greatness is based on what you've been told"

There is also his record. Being champion for six years and retiring undefeated certainly makes Jeffries worth considering for high ranking.

He certainly dominated the post-Sullivan and pre-Johnson era and he was praised as the best there had yet been in his own time.

**Just curiously. Name the heavies who were champions longer and who retired undefeated?

I can't think of one other than Louis.

Any others?
edward morbius is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #75
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
With no justifiable film footage available on Jeffries, your opinion on his greatness is based on what you've been told. Is that correct?
Yes but crucialy, it is not what I have been told by one person.

I look at as many contemporary acounts as possible, and try to find the common themes.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum