Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #61
Steampacket

vCash: 500
Default Re: Barry McGuigan - I've had enough of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurzt View Post
Very astute!
Steampacket is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #62
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Big fan of Barry but this whole flintoff fiasco smacks a tad of hypocracy & financial desperation, well we've all got our price i suppose.
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #63
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by recharge View Post
Barry v Barney Eastwood who wins?....Barney
Yes, Mr Eastwood.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #64
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

I think Spencer Oliver does just as much talking over people and cutting people off as Barry does
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #65
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
I think Spencer Oliver does just as much talking over people and cutting people off as Barry does

(Although I think he makes very valid points, and unlike many of the Sky Pundits he rarely sits on the fence when asked for a prediction)
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #66
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
Have you read his book mate?

Fantastic read
No mate that's a good shout I will do
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #67
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
No he doesnt. Barry is different gravy when it comes to this.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #68
porkypara
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dont always agree with him but a nice person to speak to and friendly towards fans.
porkypara is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #69
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have never really cared much for him as a fighter. I always felt he was bait overrated. His failure to fight Azumah Nelson who he studiously avoided throws discredit on his career.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #70
Arnie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Does it f:ck olu
Arnie is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #71
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olu G. Rotimi View Post
I have never really cared much for him as a fighter. I always felt he was bait overrated. His failure to fight Azumah Nelson who he studiously avoided throws discredit on his career.
If you know anything about McGuigans boxing history, you will know that he didn't avoid Nelson, sure the same could be argued that Nelson avoided McGuigan, but that's not true either. No promoter offered them the contest for the money it was worth, and also they were building towards the unification fight only Barry got derailed by Cruz. And besides back in 84/85/86 Nelson wasn't considered the household name he was to become [ it was a major shock when he defeated Gomez], most people thought if McGuigan and Nelson fought, then Barry would win, and I'm sure Barry would have thought the same.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #72
Big J
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=KCD;14341287]I have a love/hate feeling towards McGuigan.

One the one handtotally agree with the thread starter but on the other I like McGuigans enthusiasm for the sport and whilst he's a know it all he is far and away the best pundit in British boxing IMO.

This
Big J is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #73
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy View Post
If you know anything about McGuigans boxing history, you will know that he didn't avoid Nelson, sure the same could be argued that Nelson avoided McGuigan, but that's not true either. No promoter offered them the contest for the money it was worth, and also they were building towards the unification fight only Barry got derailed by Cruz. And besides back in 84/85/86 Nelson wasn't considered the household name he was to become [ it was a major shock when he defeated Gomez], most people thought if McGuigan and Nelson fought, then Barry would win, and I'm sure Barry would have thought the same.
I am sorry to say but the comments you made are idiotic. Even Barry himself today admits Nelson was a superior fighter. A matchup between them would have resulted in a brutal knockout of Barry Mrs McGiggle as Azumah used to call him refer to Barry as a She because she was afraid to fight. Nelson did all he could to make the fight but McGuigan and his people avoided it studiously. That takes away from McGuigan's legacy. Anybody who saw Nelson give the great Sanchez hell as a late substitute and novice fighter knew that the great Gomez was doomed. Nelson just did not neat Gomez he knocked him out in Puerto Rico. McGuigan ended up losing to Steve Cruz of all the people. Only retards and the uninformed could think McGuigan would have won against Nelson ever. Harsh words but true.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #74
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Does it f:ck olu
Guess the truth hurts Arnie. I am sorry but I felt strongly about it at the time and frankly over 25 years later I still feel as strongly about it.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #75
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olu G. Rotimi View Post
I am sorry to say but the comments you made are idiotic. Even Barry himself today admits Nelson was a superior fighter. A matchup between them would have resulted in a brutal knockout of Barry Mrs McGiggle as Azumah used to call him refer to Barry as a She because she was afraid to fight. Nelson did all he could to make the fight but McGuigan and his people avoided it studiously. That takes away from McGuigan's legacy. Anybody who saw Nelson give the great Sanchez hell as a late substitute and novice fighter knew that the great Gomez was doomed. Nelson just did not neat Gomez he knocked him out in Puerto Rico. McGuigan ended up losing to Steve Cruz of all the people. Only retards and the uninformed could think McGuigan would have won against Nelson ever. Harsh words but true.
My comments are as I remember the times. I've been reading Boxing News since around 82 and during the time of the McGuigan/Nelson debate in 85/86, most of their readers would have considered McGuigan the favourite to beat Nelson,that is a fact. Talking up a fight by calling people silly names doesn't mean McGuigan would have been frightened of Nelson, it just wasn't McGuigans style to react to it. As far as the Irish press were concerned the fight was going to happen at some stage and that was the general opinion of most at that time, but it didn't happen because of Cruz. Would he have beaten Nelson if they had fought, we will never know only speculate. And by the way in my culture to call someone idiotic is offensive, so if your tone continues in this manner I won't be replying to anymore of your posts.
ardy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum