How can anyone not like BJ? Guys awesome, hope he beats this young upstart
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Re: BJ PENN vs RORY MACDONALD

Cheering for BJ. Have a strong feeling that he is going to pull it off. My head says that Rory will win, but I am not counting BJ out at all.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Rory is the safest bet of the year.

Just got a funny feeling BJ is gonna' go steaming into Rory and blitz him. Probably nostalgia. But let's not forget that Rory had to tale Che Mills down. BJ is a different animal on the ground and early on his TDD is bloody good.

If he can keep it stood up long enough and get round Rory's reach (his striking game is pretty gawky in general, advantage for Penn despite size difference) and attack him with aplomb enough, he can do it.

It'll have to be early. BJ doesn't have it in him to do a Condit especially when you consider that MacDonald is likely much better now.

Still , don't think the Rory of the Nate fight will categorically finish BJ. Not over 3.

Still...part head, part heart isn't enough. Rory will take over in 2nd and 3rd for a comfortable decision. Then hopefully take on some real sharks.

Maia-Fitch winner, Erick Silva after he beats Hieron, and hey, Hendricks can't really sit out a whole year can he?

If not, Ellenberger should be good for a round to try and take this phenom's head off.

Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Cheering for BJ. Have a strong feeling that he is going to pull it off. My head says that Rory will win, but I am not counting BJ out at all.
This. As always, put much more efficiently and with less marijuana-induced psychobabble.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Rooting for BJ....MacDonald wins though.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

BJ all the way.
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

I just can't go against BJ Penn. Let's go Prodigy!!!
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Its great when (virtually) everyone on the forum unites and supports the same guy

Lets Go Prodigy!!!!!
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Rory tells BJ "GTFO my face at the weigh ins" I hate seeing great fighters losing late in their careers, but I will get Rory the most respect if he wins. I hope BJ Penn dominates, opens that cut up, but may the better man win!
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

We cant discount BJs experience.

I admire BJ the most of all fighters because He truly is the only one in modern MMA who is willing to fight anyone. The guy has the biggest set of balls and whats funny is you can never count him out.

Win or Lose BJ is the man.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Rich boy finds a way to lose.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
We cant discount BJs experience.

I admire BJ the most of all fighters because He truly is the only one in modern MMA who is willing to fight anyone. The guy has the biggest set of balls and whats funny is you can never count him out.

Win or Lose BJ is the man.
BJ, Couture and Hendo are the epitome of pound for pound fighters. All have gone up and down the weight classes fighting the best around.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Ok here is the thing

What will Rory MaCdonald do when he realises that he's in with a guy who is better than him! and I mean this purely in terms of how will Rory react? yes he's a good young prospect, yes he is bigger and stronger, but Penn is better in every discipline of MMA apart from conditioning! a fighter does not fight anything close to his natural game when faced with adversity, if anyone thinks MaCdonald is good enough to have everything his own way with Penn frankly you do not what you are talking about

Looking into this further ................... we all know the blue print by now, allow BJ to gas in round 3 after 2 semi gruelling rounds with a much much bigger man, do not go to the ground with BJ, push a pace on the feet, dont shoot for a double etc etc etc, all of the above is easier said than done for a guy like MaCdonald, this is a whole new level of opponent, and we know this because Penn is in shape! MaCdonald will not enjoy the exchanges on the feet, BJ has heavy hands and is an excellent combination puncher, Rory will not take Penn down while he's fresh , therefore the plan for Rory (once the bell goes) is to survive while Penn tires and then look for a finish.

Well Rory MaCdonald does not strike me as a patient strategic kind of fighter, he will go after Penn from the off, this is good for him because if you can get to Penn early and make him work in places he doesnt want to work early it doesnt bode well for him late on, flip side ................ if you make a mistake while Penn is fresh he will finish you on the feet or on the ground or a combination of both.

My feeling is that Penn does look in good shape for this, I follow BJ's blogs weekly and have always done this since he began them, therefore the signs are always there when its gone well (Florian, Sanchez, Hughes 3) or when it hasnt been great (Diaz) he looks like he's in shape! depending on what shape he's in i expect him to submit Rory in all honestly, if BJ Penn comes into the cage somewhere near his strongest cardio wise, i believe he will beat Rory MaCdonald.

MaCdonald will be hungry, fresh, strong, sharp and he will want to put a statement out, you dont put a statement out on BJ Penn, and he will find this out on the night, i believe his eagerness will cause a mistake and Penn will wrap him up and tap him or pound him out.

Just my opinion.
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Rory is the safest bet of the year.

Just got a funny feeling BJ is gonna' go steaming into Rory and blitz him. Probably nostalgia. But let's not forget that Rory had to tale Che Mills down. BJ is a different animal on the ground and early on his TDD is bloody good.

If he can keep it stood up long enough and get round Rory's reach (his striking game is pretty gawky in general, advantage for Penn despite size difference) and attack him with aplomb enough, he can do it.

It'll have to be early. BJ doesn't have it in him to do a Condit especially when you consider that MacDonald is likely much better now.

Still , don't think the Rory of the Nate fight will categorically finish BJ. Not over 3.

Still...part head, part heart isn't enough. Rory will take over in 2nd and 3rd for a comfortable decision. Then hopefully take on some real sharks.

Maia-Fitch winner, Erick Silva after he beats Hieron, and hey, Hendricks can't really sit out a whole year can he?

If not, Ellenberger should be good for a round to try and take this phenom's head off.

Sensible words
thewinfella is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum