Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #241
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Next up is Iran Barkley.

Between 1994-1996, while Roy was at 168,

Barkley didn't have A SINGLE FIGHT THERE!

Was he deserving of a fight with Roy at 168? Ha!

Who's next?
Loudon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #242
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
Jones never fought a top 3 opponent after Toney. He had 6 fights at 168 after beating him. Of those fights he beat an unranked Thornton, a suspected juiced lightweight in Pazienza, a past it Byrd, a never was in Sosa, a young non-threat in Lucas and a veteran of 16 fights in Brannon.

So the deserving fighters Jones didn't fight is these guys:

Nunn
Benn
Eubank
Collins
Barkley
Cordoba
Littles
Van Horn
Liles
Nardiello
Close
Rocchigianni
Nicotra

That was at SMW. At LHW DM is the frontrunner.

I have now checked through each resume on your list, from the time that Roy beat Toney, until the time he moved up to 175.

Some fights couldn't be made, some fighters were deserving of a shot, and some fighters shouldn't even have been on the list.

The full list is as follows:

Nunn - Nunn only had TWO fights at 168 during Roy's reign, a loss to Liles, and a win over Scully. His other fights were between 175-195.

Benn - As discussed a billion times, a fight could not be made, because Roy and King couldn't agree terms. King wanted to tie Roy to a three fight contract.

Eubank - As discussed, he's admitted on numerous occasions, that Roy was never his mandatory, and he never went after the big fights. A fight was never viable.

Collins - 7 wins during Roy's reign, 2 wins over Benn, 2 wins over Eubank, and wins over Carr, Brown and Pyatt. In my opinion, Benn and Eubank had seen better days, but I think he was deserving of a shot at Roy

Iran Barkley - NO FIGHTS AT 168, during Roy's time there.

Victor Cordorba - Just ONE win against Tim Hillie, and I don't know if that was at 168 or 175.

Tim Littles - 3 wins against Casenay Truesdale, Mike Belcher and Chris Sande.

Van Horn - NO FIGHTS AT 168 during Roy's time there.

Frankie Liles - 4 wins against Nunn, Littles, Seillier and Amaral. Deserving of a fight, but according to Larry Merchant, turned down a big money offer to face Roy. The video of this is in post 230, but no specific details are given. Liles was also a Don King fighter.

Nardiello - 5 wins against Massimillano Bocchini, Jose Vargas, Rolando Torres, Noberto Bueno and Malinga.

Ray Close - Just ONE FIGHT at 168, a loss to Eubank in their rematch.

Rocchigiani - Just ONE FIGHT at 168, a draw against Seillier.

Frank Nicotra - Just ONE FIGHT at 168, a win against Hedi El Assaidi.

You've criticised Roy for having easy fights after Toney, and you were happy to throw these names around and claim that they were deserving of a fight.

Two of the fighters above, didn't even fight at 168 while Roy was there, and FOUR other fighters only had one fight each.

So those SIX fighters clearly weren't DESERVING of a shot.

You've been very harsh on Roy, and you haven't read up on these fighters. You also haven't allowed for circumstances either.

Regards, Loudon.

Last edited by Loudon; 12-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #243
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

In 1994/1995, Godzilla was offered the chance to fight Roy. Roy and Stan Levin went to Japan for talks, and things were looking promising. Godzilla seemed up for the fight.

However, on their return home to the U.S. Levin had been sent a fax from God's manager that said, after seeing Roy hook Percy Harris four consecutive times, he no longer wants the fight because he's scared!

So I don't want to hear anyone saying that Roy ducked him, because he didn't!

Last edited by Loudon; 12-08-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #244
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnxhands View Post
James Toney was also scared of Benn an Eubank. Instead he ended his career feasting bum ass no risk fighters named Jirov, Holyfield, an sam peter. All you have to do is look at the tail end of their careers to see who was afraid to fight who. I dont care about all of this he say she say negotiation bullshit
those guys hid from james,and they were right,toney would end their night quickly.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #245
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrufus View Post
If one of your pals would upload it that would be great. I haven't seen it!
I've asked him, and unfortunately he no longer has it. I'm sure someone will upload it again though.

Thanks.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #246
pourya
Contender
ESB Senior Member

jones at his prime woudl have made all those you call ''ducked'' look ****en average!

stop with the f... stupid threads- Roy at his prime was not comparable to manny pac or floyd-

HE WAS ON A DIFFERENT LEVELLLLLLLLLLLLL

END OF STORY
pourya is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #247
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
I've asked him, and unfortunately he no longer has it. I'm sure someone will upload it again though.

Thanks.

Hi mate, did you see the fights last night? Degale looked decent, so did Darren Barker. Kessler dealt with Magee in style

But the Pacquiao-Marquez fight was just unbelievable - that is a knockout we'll see for years and years

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourya View Post
jones at his prime woudl have made all those you call ''ducked'' look ****en average!

stop with the f... stupid threads- Roy at his prime was not comparable to manny pac or floyd-

HE WAS ON A DIFFERENT LEVELLLLLLLLLLLLL

END OF STORY

He probably would have beaten all the guys listed,

but to say he's a different level to Floyd!?
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #248
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:

Nunn - Nunn only had TWO fights at 168 during Roy's reign, a loss to Liles, and a win over Scully. His other fights were between 175-195.
1: Nunn should of won the Liles fight. At the very least it proved that he was still a worthy opponent, much better than the guys Jones was facing at 168

2:Nunn
at that point was ranked by the Ring and the WBC. His team approached Jones at the end of 95 and Jones turned him down.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by general zod; 12-09-2012 at 09:52 AM.
general zod is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #249
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Frankie Liles - 4 wins against Nunn, Littles, Seillier and Amaral. Deserving of a fight, but according to Larry Merchant, turned down a big money offer to face Roy. The video of this is in post 230, but no specific details are given. Liles was also a Don King fighter.
Jones was lying when he said he couldn't do any business with King
1: He wanted to fight Tito when he moved up to smw, after the mw tournament
2: He was prepared to fight Hopkins in 02
3:He fought John Ruiz
4:He fought Tito in 07

ALL of the guys above were Don King fighters. King was desperate to get back on to HBO who at the point had blacklisted him. He would of been more than prepared to negotiate a deal with Jones to get a fight with either Liles or Benn. For the record Liles never blames King, but points the finger squarely at Jones and for good reason

Last edited by general zod; 12-09-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #250
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Tim Littles - 3 wins against Casenay Truesdale, Mike Belcher and Chris Sande.
Littles was a talented fighter who had beaten Jones during the amateurs. His only two losses at smw were to two of the best smws, which a lot of fighters openly avoided. He was more deserving of a shot that the likes of Lucas and Pazienza
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #251
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hi mate,
I've heard that, and the would have been a hell of a test for Roy. I don't think Roy would have been up for that. He had a lot of respect for Frankie, and Frankie was skilled and awkward.
If he really respected Frankie then he would of given him a shot.
Quote:
But I've heard Levin say, he didn't want Roy negotiating with Don back then.
Where did you hear that?
Quote:
What do you think would have happened had they fought. Bad style match up for Roy. Apart from Tarver, I think Harding was one of Roy's toughest fights.

Regards, Loudon.
Jones would of struggled he had no real experience fighting southys as pro at smw. It's the reason why he "kind of" struggled with De Valle
Jones should be able to win on points but if Liles was to land the same right hand he landed on Littles then its good night Roy.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #252
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Hi mate, did you see the fights last night? Degale looked decent, so did Darren Barker. Kessler dealt with Magee in style

But the Pacquiao-Marquez fight was just unbelievable - that is a knockout we'll see for years and years

He probably would have beaten all the guys listed,

but to say he's a different level to Floyd!?

Hi pal!

I went out last night and forgot to record the De Gale fight. I'll have to try and watch it online.

I forgot about Kessler too.

I saw Marquez's knockout earlier, I wasn't expecting that. It was a great shot. I'm pleased for him, the only reason I wanted Manny to win was because I thought a comprehensive win for Marquez would kill any hope of a Floyd vs Manny fight.

I'm expecting Floyd to come out and say I easily beat the guy that's beat him etc. I hope I'm wrong though.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #253
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
1: Nunn should of won the Liles fight. At the very least it proved that he was still a worthy opponent, much better than the guys Jones was facing at 168

2:Nunn
at that point was ranked by the Ring and the WBC. His team approached Jones at the end of 95 and Jones turned him down.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Hi mate,

I'm in full agreement that Roy should have fought Nunn.

I know he was made mandatory in 1997, but the list above is specifically looking at fighters Roy missed just from his brief spell at 168.

Of the six fighters that I've mentioned that weren't worthy, Micheal isn't one of them.

Of course Micheal was worthy because he was a great fighter. But while Roy fought at 168, he only had two fights there.

The video you've posted is from 1997, and Roy was at 175 then.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #254
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hi mate,

I'm in full agreement that Roy should have fought Nunn.

I know he was made mandatory in 1997, but the list above is specifically looking at fighters Roy missed just from his brief spell at 168.

Of the six fighters that I've mentioned that weren't worthy, Micheal isn't one of them.

Of course Micheal was worthy because he was a great fighter. But while Roy fought at 168, he only had two fights there.
Why does that matter?
Quote:
The video you've posted is from 1997, and Roy was at 175 then.
So was Nunn, that vid was right before the rematch with Jones and Griffin

Goosen was referring to the offer they made back in 95.

"You claim you got no one to fight while fighting the likes of Lucas and Brannon, while Nunn is waiting right here for you"
-Goosen
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #255
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Hi pal!

I went out last night and forgot to record the De Gale fight. I'll have to try and watch it online.

I forgot about Kessler too.

I saw Marquez's knockout earlier, I wasn't expecting that. It was a great shot. I'm pleased for him, the only reason I wanted Manny to win was because I thought a comprehensive win for Marquez would kill any hope of a Floyd vs Manny fight.

I'm expecting Floyd to come out and say I easily beat the guy that's beat him etc. I hope I'm wrong though.

allthebestfights.com is decent for catching up on fights. Kessler looked sharp, but beating Brian Magee doesn't tell us much - I just hope we can get Froch-Kessler 2 before both guys call it a day

Marquez deserved an official victory to his name in the series, but what a way to get it! I was shocked when he scored the first KD, the KO was devastating. I hope Manny can recover, but I wonder about how dedicated he has been to boxing recently. It's no secret that he's had problems with gambling, partying and women until last year when he became a dedicated christian. On top of that, he has his political career, how focused has he been on boxing? Guys like Marquez are 100% dedicated all year round, not just in training camp.

Another point is that a sparring video of Marquez was released a month ago, with him dropping an opponent with the same shot he KO'd Manny, how could Roach and Manny not be weary of that punch? Especially the way Manny came in at that angle with his hands at his waist and his chin in the air.

Can Manny recover? I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a fifth fight, I thought Pacquiao was winning up to that point
knockout artist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum