Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #31
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thoughts on the Pacquiao/Marquaz fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
I'm gutted, in shock, massive pac fan but also feel the same for JMM, I'm real happy for juan, he is eveything that is solid about the sport & a great man to boot. But i'm just so gutted that manny just got caught like this, he looked on the verge of victory, but in saying that i did'nt want to see juan KO'd. What makes this such a cunt day is that Mayweather has got his wish & is already counting out the future no-risk MEGA $$$.

This is the best thing that could have happened for boxing. Now it forces Mayweather to at least fight the younger crop instead of cherry picking and stage managing his way through the twilight of his career.

Even if Manny won this fight, it was unlikely such a deteriorated Pac was going to give Mayweather an honest go.

Floyd can now have fun with Canelo on his ass for 12 rounds

(BTW, at this stage I think FLoyd still wins, but it will be rough going for him, and if it takes place a year from now, who knows....)
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #32
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

The irony is it's probably the best Pac has looked aside from the two counter shots.

After his succes in round 5 and 6 he probably felt history was just one huge shot away.

Charging in against an elite counter puncher like that is suicide even more so after the warning shot he took in the 3rd.

A fifth fight is natural to make. I suspect a fight with Bradley might take place in the interim. It's unfair seeing him frozen out like this.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #33
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
This is the best thing that could have happened for boxing. Now it forces Mayweather to at least fight the younger crop instead of cherry picking and stage managing his way through the twilight of his career.

Even if Manny won this fight, it was unlikely such a deteriorated Pac was going to give Mayweather an honest go.

(BTW, at this stage I think FLoyd still wins, but it will be rough going for him, and if it takes place a year from now, who knows....)
Spot on

I've always been of the mind that pac took a hell of a hammering against margo regardless of the shutout juxtaposed with his outside the ring lifestyle contributions have deterioated Pacquiao & I say this not in hindsight, it was a case of "when & not if" that what happened last night was going to happen.

Yeh you'd think that Mayweather would dissect Canello, but the meters running & the sands are emptying out of the glass.
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Great fight with a historic conclusion. If ever there was a full stop to put on the end of the great rivalry, Marquez' right hand was it.

Not sure a 5th fight would be much different, over the four fights Marquez has in my opinion become more and more dominant. I'm not saying Pacquiao is completely done, just that I think this rivalry is. Perhaps Marquez fights Bradley for the lineal welterweight title while Pacquiao takes a lighter-touch comeback to see what he has.

Someone mentioned Mayweather earlier, I thought about this last night too. For me, Mayweather will be looked at in a totally different light to Pacquiao and Marquez. It's almost as if they have lived in separate era's for some reason.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
The irony is it's probably the best Pac has looked aside from the two counter shots.

After his succes in round 5 and 6 he probably felt history was just one huge shot away.

Charging in against an elite counter puncher like that is suicide even more so after the warning shot he took in the 3rd.

A fifth fight is natural to make. I suspect a fight with Bradley might take place in the interim. It's unfair seeing him frozen out like this.
Manny's been hit with this shot time & again over the years, it was the 1st knockdown that suprised me, both these punches hit him in the face, he's taken plenty over the years, there's only so much you can take until the roof falls in. I'm not writing manny off, shit happens, it just seems that he felt he had to KO Marquez. I thought he was crazy to go after Marquez in that manner, but saying that he was on the verge of victory, he had Marquez battered & bloodied & i thought he'd get the stoppage in another couple of rounds, but the power of Marquez is the shocker!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post

This forces Mayweather to do nothing, mate. He was already not fighting Pacquiao. He's just going to still not be fighting Pacquiao. If anything, this helps him continue his regularly scheduled programming. He might even fight Marquez again with these nice developments. And Canelo hasn't really done anything that should worry Mayweather, from where I can see. I think he'd be easier than Trout, Cotto or Lara for Mayweather. I don't know how fighting Cotto is cherry-picking and fighting Canelo is picking some tough fight. I figured he was going to try and get Canelo specifically for his Mexican Mayday special anyway.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #37
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza12 View Post
Great fight with a historic conclusion. If ever there was a full stop to put on the end of the great rivalry, Marquez' right hand was it.

Not sure a 5th fight would be much different, over the four fights Marquez has in my opinion become more and more dominant. I'm not saying Pacquiao is completely done, just that I think this rivalry is. Perhaps Marquez fights Bradley for the lineal welterweight title while Pacquiao takes a lighter-touch comeback to see what he has.

Someone mentioned Mayweather earlier, I thought about this last night too. For me, Mayweather will be looked at in a totally different light to Pacquiao and Marquez. It's almost as if they have lived in separate era's for some reason.
Thats a very good point
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #38
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Manny's been hit with this shot time & again over the years, it was the 1st knockdown that suprised me, both these punches hit him in the face, he's taken plenty over the years, there's only so much you can take until the roof falls in. I'm not writing manny off, shit happens, it just seems that he felt he had to KO Marquez. I thought he was crazy to go after Marquez in that manner, but saying that he was on the verge of victory, he had Marquez battered & bloodied & i thought he'd get the stoppage in another couple of rounds, but the power of Marquez is the shocker!
Yeah he'd knocked Juan down with a light punch and busted his face up. I thought he should have known though given the 3rd kd.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Marquez: Greatest Mexican boxer of all-time?

Let's keep it classy and not go all General forum, guys.
the_bigunit is online now  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #40
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
Marquez: Greatest Mexican boxer of all-time?

Let's keep it classy and not go all General forum, guys.
He was a great featherweight and the greatest in recent times in the division.

I since then he's achieved p4p greatness in higher divisions culminating with the ko of a genuine atg.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #41
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

That right hand was a ko punch. It would have koed Pac any time in his career. He stated himself that he never saw the punch. Its these type of blows that turn the lights out.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #42
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty trunks View Post
Floyd wouldnt get caught by a looping shot like that. I cant wait to see what happens to his 100 deep entourage now. Manny is going to be that typical cliche in boxing. Broke!
Well in boxing everything can happen right ?
I don't think Manny is the type of idiot that would burn all his money, in fact the man solidified his status in his country outside of boxing so I think he is pretty much safe money wise.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
This forces Mayweather to do nothing, mate. He was already not fighting Pacquiao. He's just going to still not be fighting Pacquiao. If anything, this helps him continue his regularly scheduled programming. He might even fight Marquez again with these nice developments. And Canelo hasn't really done anything that should worry Mayweather, from where I can see. I think he'd be easier than Trout, Cotto or Lara for Mayweather. I don't know how fighting Cotto is cherry-picking and fighting Canelo is picking some tough fight. I figured he was going to try and get Canelo specifically for his Mexican Mayday special anyway.
I think Floyd was waiting for Pac to deteriorate enough so that he'd time his fight with him nicely. I don't think he was planning to avoid Pacquiao forever.

As for Cotto, at his best he was a very good fighter, and that was about 5 years ago at least.

Canelo is unproven sure, but for mine he poses a bigger threat than re-trad Miguel does.

There's no reason whatsoever for Mayweather-Marquez 2.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #44
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
He was a great featherweight and the greatest in recent times in the division.

I since then he's achieved p4p greatness in higher divisions culminating with the ko of a genuine atg.
How did he prove that he was the greatest featherweight in recent times? He didn't face Morales, he barely squeaked by an old Barrera, he got a dubious draw against Pac because of an incompetent judge and then had his hands full with Chris John and Freddie Norwood.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #45
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think it was Marquez being more aggressive and being stronger rather than Pacquaio's punch resistance. Marquez was really looking for that KO, the first KD was a complete wide haymaker, the second Manny ran into Hatton style
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum