Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP

vCash: 571
Default It baffles me that on a Boxing forum there is so little knowledge of training

Its like the vast majority of this forum has never seen a weight room before.

"How can Marquez get so ripped in a year! He's 39!"

I've made gains in the weight room in gym 2 hours a day, 5 days a week on a diet of chocolate chip cookies, monsters and breakfast burritos.

Yet nobody knows what a motivated person on a real workout plan in his late 30's where its easier to retain mass can do?

Squats? Power cleans? Deadlifting? Age old techniques that have been tried and true for 100 years?

Nah it must be steroids.
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
TRACON999
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: It baffles me that on a Boxing forum there is so little knowledge of training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Squats? Power cleans? Deadlifting? Age old techniques that have been tried and true for 100 years?
Add to that, the fact that Marquez had never trained in such a way before.
TRACON999 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 31447
Default Re: It baffles me that on a Boxing forum there is so little knowledge of training

Theres worse theres actually some dudes that dont know what the word "floored" means.

Can you imagine that?
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

How old are you? Getting into your 30s is a whole different ballgame. I used to say the same thing, but see my other thread in the lounge about HIIT. It never used to be a requirement for me to watch my diet, or do anything other than lift weights and some basic cardio. Not so anymore.
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
PowerBack
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Quote:

I've made gains in the weight room in gym 2 hours a day, 5 days a week on a diet of chocolate chip cookies, monsters and breakfast burritos.

Yet nobody knows what a motivated person on a real workout plan in his late 30's where its easier to retain mass can do?

Nah it must be steroids.
True.. I mean.. If have you a serious workout scheme and if you have a good diet, then you will get in shape.. Workout and diet.. These are the TWO things you need. It isn't really rocket science or takes any miracle to pull off..
PowerBack is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
markq
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Nah it must be steroids.
Idiots, getting ripped is just diet and low fat percentage. That's how you get a six pack. If you want mass, you lift weights. There is no such thing as roids in boxing, ask Pactards. Boxing testing proves that. HA HA! JMM is as natural as Pacquiao.
markq is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

go to the training/amateur boxing forum there you will find the small minority of people that actually know what their talking about when discussing training (for the most part lol)
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 172

You're the same cunt that said "floored" though, right?
Ilesey is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

It's amazing how Marquez was able to stay on his feet towards the end of Round 5 despite being repeatedly floored.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
go to the training/amateur boxing forum there you will find the small minority of people that actually know what their talking about when discussing training (for the most part lol)
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

What's funny is I said "Marquez is doing core exercises, which means hes building strength, which could effect his speed, quickness and stamina. He must be going for the knockout."

Low and behold Marquez looks his slowest and is getting caught with shots he easily avoided in the 3rd fight, nose broken and concussed all before the 6th round"
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Yeah, some guys here still seem to think training like they did in the 50s is the best way to train.

Run 5 miles in the morning, do some jumping jacks and spar!

The sad thing is there seems to be some boxers who are of that mindset too!

I hear about guys like Marquez hiring strength and conditioning coachs,and im thinking "WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS!"

It should be a fundamental part of your training to have a strength and conditioing coach if you're a serious professional
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeschicken View Post
How old are you? Getting into your 30s is a whole different ballgame. I used to say the same thing, but see my other thread in the lounge about HIIT. It never used to be a requirement for me to watch my diet, or do anything other than lift weights and some basic cardio. Not so anymore.
Dude if its harder to lose fat dont you think its harder to lose muscle as well? The older you get your metabolism slows down the easier it is to pack on mass. If i was your old ass i would forgo all the useless cardio which is actually detrimental the older you get and hit those weights and get ****ing shredded. To burn excess calories do resistence training and body workouts.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Nah it must be steroids.

Don't you think Marquez look even stronger than the 3rd fight? I think he even punch harder. So the relationship between strength and power punching should not be discarded like many have said.
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Another thing that irks me is people saying nonsense like "Marquez is HUGE!"

No, hes actually a small guy. 5'7 and fights at below 150lbs, probably walks around no more 155. If you saw him on the street,you would think hes just a small,fit looking dude.

He weighed the same on fight night last night as he did against Mayweather, except hes lost a couple pounds of fat and added a couple pounds of muscle.

People see shots where a guy is standing on his own in a ring throwing a punch,shadowboxing, where hes all flexed and the blood is pumping during traininga nd think hes a monsters.

When the truth is, hes about 4-5 lbs heavier in the ring than when he was when he was fighting at super-feather
irishny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing