Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Ali vs Jim Brown at Hyde park - Any other good stories ?

This is from when Jim Brown wanted to fight Ali in 1966 ish "So I went to talk to Ali," Arum recalls. "He says, 'Jim wants to do what? Bring him here.' So I took him to Hyde Park in London, where Ali used to run. Ali said, 'Jimmy, here's what we're going to do: You hit me as hard as you can.' So Brown starts swinging and swinging, and he can't hit him. He's swinging wildly and not even coming close. This goes on for, like, 30 seconds. Then Ali hits him with this quick one-two to his face. Jimmy just stops and says, 'OK, I get the point.'"

Found this interesting, any other interesting stories you guys know of ? about any boxer

Last edited by Theron; 12-08-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali vs Jim Brown at Hyde park - Any other good stories ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
This is from when Jim Brown wanted to fight Ali in 1966 ish "So I went to talk to Ali," Arum recalls. "He says, 'Jim wants to do what? Bring him here.' So I took him to Hyde Park in London, where Ali used to run. Ali said, 'Jimmy, here's what we're going to do: You hit me as hard as you can.' So Brown starts swinging and swinging, and he can't hit him. He's swinging wildly and not even coming close. This goes on for, like, 30 seconds. Then Ali hits him with this quick one-two to his face. Jimmy just stops and says, 'OK, I get the point.'"

Found this interesting, any other interesting stories you guys know of ?
Yeah,I recall that story. Jim realised that acting was the best second career option at hand.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jim was a helluva athlete, but realized he was out of his league.So he stuck to acting and chasing women.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:

Found this interesting, any other interesting stories you guys know of ? about any boxer
Great story.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Ali and Marciano were filming their computer fight in 1969 (I think it was).

Marciano was wearing a hair piece and Ali started flicking a jab at it and knocking it off.

It made Marciano mad and after a couple of times he warned Ali to stop. Ali did it again and Marciano let go with a real punch to the midsection.

Ali left the ring and refused to go any farther without being paid an extra $2,000.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i believe it - did you see the size of ali's midsection in 1969. rocky was slimmer and in better shape than him lol.

Last edited by groove; 12-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
groove is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

After the toupee incident...Ali called Rocky"Champ"...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Hahaha I never heard that story about the Marciano's hair piece and Ali thats great
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Jack Dempsey was famous for not knowing the meaning of the word "Exhibition" he was horrible at stopping or pulling punches too. During a practice round that was supposed to be just for fun and publicity Dempsey landed a shot on Al Jolson's chin knocking him unconscious and with a permanent scar on the chin. I dont think Dempsey did it on purpose but none the less he connected and knocked Al Jolson out and after that Jolson showed off the scar to everyone he met and said "The great Jack Dempsey gave me this in a fight." so although it sounds brutal and cruel whether intentional or not Al Jolson took something away from the experience. Dempsey made really cheap movies like "Dare devil jack" or the prizefighter or something like that. When he was filming the fight scenes with the hollywood actors he had trouble stopping his punches and would knock them out cold. Ernest Hemingway insisted Jack go a practice round with him but Jack declined. Hemingway had actually done some boxing in his youth and was taking the exhibition very seriously and Jack said he didnt want to have to really hurt Hemingway so he quite wisely declined.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
Jack Dempsey was famous for not knowing the meaning of the word "Exhibition" he was horrible at stopping or pulling punches too. During a practice round that was supposed to be just for fun and publicity Dempsey landed a shot on Al Jolson's chin knocking him unconscious and with a permanent scar on the chin. I dont think Dempsey did it on purpose but none the less he connected and knocked Al Jolson out and after that Jolson showed off the scar to everyone he met and said "The great Jack Dempsey gave me this in a fight." so although it sounds brutal and cruel whether intentional or not Al Jolson took something away from the experience. Dempsey made really cheap movies like "Dare devil jack" or the prizefighter or something like that. When he was filming the fight scenes with the hollywood actors he had trouble stopping his punches and would knock them out cold. Ernest Hemingway insisted Jack go a practice round with him but Jack declined. Hemingway had actually done some boxing in his youth and was taking the exhibition very seriously and Jack said he didnt want to have to really hurt Hemingway so he quite wisely declined.
Oh i know what you mean this is what an old Dempsey did to cowboy Lutrell in an exhibition [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

I was going to post this, but I had a busy weekend! I have a hunch some of the international posters do not know who Jim Brown was. Jim Brown was in many ways the equivalent of Sonny Liston for American football. He was bigger, faster, stronger, and very agile for a man his size.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Ali and Marciano were filming their computer fight in 1969 (I think it was).

Marciano was wearing a hair piece and Ali started flicking a jab at it and knocking it off.

It made Marciano mad and after a couple of times he warned Ali to stop. Ali did it again and Marciano let go with a real punch to the midsection.

Ali left the ring and refused to go any farther without being paid an extra $2,000.

As you no doubt recall,there was no actual crowd watching that 'fight' just a black backdrop. At the press screening,someone said something like "That's some crowd. Jack Bodell must have been on the bill"
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
SolomonDeedes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
I remember reading a story that Dempsey was acting in a stage play and there was a boxing scene where he was supposed to win by knockout. They'd brought in a genuine heavyweight boxer to play the opponent. Being Jack Dempsey, when he was supposed to play-act the final blow, he hit the guy too hard so that he forgot where he was and his fighter's instincts took over. Instead of falling like it said in the script he came charging back swinging real punches.

The fight went on for several unscheduled minutes till Dempsey managed to beat him unconscious for real.
SolomonDeedes is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #14
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hahaha I never heard that story about the Marciano's hair piece and Ali thats great

Rocky's hairpiece had a life of it's own
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
I was going to post this, but I had a busy weekend! I have a hunch some of the international posters do not know who Jim Brown was. Jim Brown was in many ways the equivalent of Sonny Liston for American football. He was bigger, faster, stronger, and very agile for a man his size.

And a pretty good actor. At the time of the Hyde Park incident,Jim was filming 'The Dirty Dozen'
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum