Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Well well..

Looks like Williams proved he can hang with the upper teir.

He was the better man tonight for sure.

And I hope Margarito and his camp learn a lesson from this. Don't ever abandon what got you there. That strategy of waiting on Williams to stop punching was garbage. You don't wait on a guy who throws 100 punches a round. Toni should know that.

Also the talk of Williams having power has to stop. He is the top volume puncher in the division now and seemingly has a very good chin. That is still a rough combination for anyone calling themself the top welterweight in the sport.

Lets see how long he can maintain 147lbs at weigh-in. I give him a solid shot at Cotto and maybe Cintron, we'll see.

On another note I can't see Cotto or Shane Mosely giving Cintron much trouble. Way too much power there and the skill is growing. We may be seeing the return of the Killer. Of course that was a tomato can he was in with but he's looking better everytime out.

Good night of boxing tonight though. Three solid fights resulted. I wasn't expecting Gomez to knock Gatti out, that was a shocker.
Ambition_Def is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
Slaughter27
Journeyman

Default Re: Well well..

I'll give Margarito some props. He definately had the fight for the taking in the last round which I didn't expect, but I guess he got worn out by all of the punches he threw in the previous rounds because he just disappeared in the 12th.
Slaughter27 is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
SwollenGoat
deicide
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition_Def
Looks like Williams proved he can hang with the upper teir.

He was the better man tonight for sure.

And I hope Margarito and his camp learn a lesson from this. Don't ever abandon what got you there. That strategy of waiting on Williams to stop punching was garbage. You don't wait on a guy who throws 100 punches a round. Toni should know that.

Also the talk of Williams having power has to stop. He is the top volume puncher in the division now and seemingly has a very good chin. That is still a rough combination for anyone calling themself the top welterweight in the sport.

Lets see how long he can maintain 147lbs at weigh-in. I give him a solid shot at Cotto and maybe Cintron, we'll see.

On another note I can't see Cotto or Shane Mosely giving Cintron much trouble. Way too much power there and the skill is growing. We may be seeing the return of the Killer. Of course that was a tomato can he was in with but he's looking better everytime out.

Good night of boxing tonight though. Three solid fights resulted. I wasn't expecting Gomez to knock Gatti out, that was a shocker.
Yup,it was.

Good job HBO..

End of an era fight,and end of the hype fight

Cintron looking much improved

Even Max K behaved himself
SwollenGoat is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

Eh, they made too many mistakes in this fight. It is really eye-opening to me regarding just how ordinary Margarito is and his training team.

I still like the guy but I'm baffled as to how they could have produced this kind of strategic flop. I mean we all know he can't throw straight punches to save his life, and that he gets hit alot upstairs. But we also knew him as a guy who throws 80-100 punches a round. That strategically was not in the bag tonight and I'm amazed over that.

Be as it may, Williams did exactly what he was supposed to do, even under some hard flush punches. He showed some real heart.
Ambition_Def is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Margorito can still beat a lot of the top guys, and he'd still give Cotto all kinds of trouble, but he kept waiting on Williams, which was a stupid ass plan, as Williams don't quit.

One thing we learned though was that Williams has no pop agains the top level, Margorito looked almost untouched for a guy who had 1200+ shots thrown his way.
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Morrissey
Underrated
ESB Addict

Williams proved me wrong. I expected him to be bullied by Margarito, but that size did matter.

He reminds me of a taller Joan Guzman: skilled, fluid, with solid chin but has no significant KO power.

I am disappointed with the outcome, and Margo should improve next time. I hope so.

Anyway, with his loss, I am going to sport that gay-ass, retard avatar for a month I guess.
Morrissey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum