Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 351
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Marquez' formula is making pacquiao over extend, that takes alot of footwork/movement
Mayweather is fairly flatfooted and at times will come to you(to smother) and just sort of lean back with his shoulder roll, Pacquiao can basically box circles around him
and if Floyd chooses to take out his binoculars and come at pacquiao like he did vs every southpaw bar one(Ortiz) then it further plays into Pacquiao's hands as Floyd is a more squared up target

Watching the latest Pacquiao-Marquez fight convinced me Pacquiao still has what it takes to beat Floyd should they fight
SpeedKills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Max Baer, CA
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Look, if it becomes a boxing bout Mayweather wins. Pacquiao will connect more than most, he's unlike anyone Mayweather has faced before. I'd give him more than a puncher's chance because he will land a fair few himself.
Pacquiao would land roughly the same amount as everybody else: 20% or less.

JMM and Pacquiao are the same size. Now watch JMM vs Mayweather and look at the size disparity, and tell me again how Pacquiao would be able to close distance without eating right hands. Mayweather can literally just lean back behind his shoulder and Pacquiao would barely have the arm length to touch him.

He won't close distance without eating a right hand. The guy has almost ZERO chance, which is a puncher's chance. He'd have to catch Mayweather with the perfect punch and finish him: HIGHLY UNLIKELY given Mayweather's defensive ability and world class chin.
victor879 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 1119
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Floyd does not have a good chin, he has a great defense but when exposed he's been shaken by mediocre punches.
Stopped reading here. For a guy that's never been "officially" (discounting his voluntary one) down in his career, after 43 fights, it's very difficult to conceive how he doesn't have a good chin. Also, considering he has almost exclusively been the smaller man in his fights, his undefeated feat without ever having touch the canvas becomes more impressive.

tl;dr You have an awful lot to say that disregards common sense. All of Floyd's fights are one-sided, ALL of them. Opponents age overnight against Floyd.

Manny's best wins are against fighters coming off consecutive losses/poor performances, over-the-hill marquee names, at advantageous weights/catchweights. That includes DLH / Hatton / Cotto / Mosley / Margarito [his biggest/best wins]. Then you must take into consideration that he continues to refuse OSDT four years after the topic was first introduced. Yet he's some offensive puma who can't hurt a feather-fisted Tim Bradley (a legitimate mediocre boxer) or knock-down a 38/39 year old JMM?

Oh, and a slow 39 year old Marquez just Knocked Manny the **** OUT.

Interesting logic you've got there.
bjl12 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 351
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Also im not sure how effective the "dodge a punch and THEN strike" will be vs pacquiao who when he chooses is pretty defensively sound himself with fast reflexes

Marquez punches with Pacquiao, it's all one motion, Floyd is "lean back, now change direction and come back"
SpeedKills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 1119
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
Marquez' formula is making pacquiao over extend, that takes alot of footwork/movement. Mayweather is fairly flatfooted and at times will come to you (to smother) and just sort of lean back with his shoulder roll. Pacquiao can basically box circles around him and if Floyd chooses to take out his binoculars and come at pacquiao like he did vs every southpaw, bar one (Ortiz), then it further plays into Pacquiao's hands as Floyd is a more squared up target.
This must be the most awful opinion/analysis I have ever read. Ever.
bjl12 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 2123
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
I'm not denying Floyd would get counters in, I noted that with what I said above as it's his main countering weapon. But he doesn't get in close enough to lay on the kind of damaging counters Marquez does...Mayweather's KO record is very poor for good reason, he doesn't have great power and his counters are not as dangerous as Marquez' because Marquez is willing to get close and get in harm's way to throw them, Floyd does not.

Floyd will clearly connect with Pacquiao and perhaps get a decision, KO is always possible as 1 punch is all it takes but less likely based on what we know. Pacquiao would likewise give Floyd plenty of problems also though for reasons mentioned above
I agree with this, Floyd will not take the risks JMM was taking in staying a little more flat footed and putting more power into his shots
alakran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 1119
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

My personal opinion: the fight is a product of hype/hyperbole. Manny was never a good opponent for Floyd. Manny would give Floyd problems for 3-4 rounds (I'd say 3) before Floyd really started to tag him. And trust me Floyd's counter shots will be much more damaging than JMM's.

Late TKO or Wide UD
bjl12 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Max Baer, CA
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
Also im not sure how effective the "dodge a punch and THEN strike" will be vs pacquiao who when he chooses is pretty defensively sound himself with fast reflexes

Marquez punches with Pacquiao, it's all one motion, Floyd is "lean back, now change direction and come back"
That punch that knocked out Manny was a step-back counter right hand. Mayweather is the best in the business with that punch.
victor879 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 1119
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Pac fans are so bad at logic.
bjl12 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 1119
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor879 View Post
That punch that knocked out Manny was a step-back counter right hand. Mayweather is the best in the business with that punch.
The punch that knocked Manny down in Round 3 was a... lunging right. Floyd's the best in the business at that.

Discussing theory/logic with Pac****s is frustrating
bjl12 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 2123
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl12 View Post
My personal opinion: the fight is a product of hype/hyperbole. Manny was never a good opponent for Floyd. Manny would give Floyd problems for 3-4 rounds (I'd say 3) before Floyd really started to tag him. And trust me Floyd's counter shots will be much more damaging than JMM's.

Late TKO or Wide UD
so hes gonna KO pac but couldnt ko Cotto, Ortiz or Mosley?
Mayweather UD
alakran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 2123
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
Also im not sure how effective the "dodge a punch and THEN strike" will be vs pacquiao who when he chooses is pretty defensively sound himself with fast reflexes

Marquez punches with Pacquiao, it's all one motion, Floyd is "lean back, now change direction and come back"
main difference between JMM and Mayweather and probably why Pacquiao has a LITTLE chance
alakran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #28
pit
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,080
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Exactly, because people seen floyd get rocked by Corley, Judah and Mosley he doesn't have a good chin. He took all those shots and never didn't touch the canvas. Even when Mosley rocked Floyd he recovered in the same round and backed Mosley up.

Fact: Floyd has only been ruled down once. Guess who put him down? Floyd put himself down when he broke his own hand.
Again you make no since .. one Floyd was never really hurt by judah .. second being rocked by corley witch he recovered 15 second later and dominated corley and mostly... in both cases he was caught with shot he didn't see coming, and yet he still held up and dominated ..


just how many time has Pac been rocked ? answer: plenty. yet public opinion is, pac has a good chin..

again that claim dose not sit to well, especially since pac has been knocked cold twice now, and hurt a number of times.

So your argument on floyd chin does not hold. he has a great chin, id give him an A for his chin. he taken shot from other fighter and nothing happened.

please don't use the fact, that floyd put himself down because he hurt his hand.. Keep the debate intelligent, that makes you look bad, because you're reaching for straws with that statement. Even with the broke hand Floyd went on to dominate and win his first belt. so lets stay on topic he has yet to be put down with a good punch let alone stay in trouble .
pit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #29
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 2123
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor879 View Post
That punch that knocked out Manny was a step-back counter right hand. Mayweather is the best in the business with that punch.
best at landing it, doesnt mean hes gonna land it as hard as JMM
alakran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Max Baer, CA
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alakran View Post
best at landing it, doesnt mean hes gonna land it as hard as JMM
Doesn't need to land it as hard as JMM did. He'll land it over and over.

Boxing 101 people: A great right-hand is southpaw kryptonite. Always has been. Especially against a guy who comes in lunging and off-balance.

Also, the degree at which people dismiss Mayweather's punching power is laughable.
victor879 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013