pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alakran View Post
best at landing it, doesnt mean hes gonna land it as hard as JMM
True but he dose land hard enough and often enough that he will force pac to change method of attack. Pac defiantly will not keep bull rushing, or one of those right hand will put him down or put him in enough trouble the floyd will finish him..

seriously how this fight will play out is anyone guess, it favors floyd because of his skill, speed and timing . Of course pac can change all of this with speed and awkward south paw style .. anything is possible .
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #32
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor879 View Post
That punch that knocked out Manny was a step-back counter right hand. Mayweather is the best in the business with that punch.
Lol no it wasn't, Marquez was retreating to begin with, as soon as he felt pacquiao about to come on he planted his feet and turned over a huge hook

when has floyd ever done that? floyd is mainly a straight shooter
SpeedKills is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #33
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
Lol no it wasn't, Marquez was retreating to begin with, as soon as he felt pacquiao about to come on he planted his feet and turned over a huge hook

when has floyd ever done that? floyd is mainly a straight shooter
Floyd plants his feet and fires back a counter after stepping back in EVERY FIGHT.
victor879 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1119

Quote:
so hes gonna KO pac but couldnt ko Cotto, Ortiz or Mosley?
Mayweather UD
He did KO Ortiz. Cotto and Mosley aren't pure come-forward fighters. They can box a little bit. Manny can only come forward. Think of the Hatton fight.
bjl12 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
True but he dose land hard enough and often enough that he will force pac to change method of attack. Pac defiantly will not keep bull rushing, or one of those right hand will put him down or put him in enough trouble the floyd will finish him..

seriously how this fight will play out is anyone guess, it favors floyd because of his skill, speed and timing . Of course pac can change all of this with speed and awkward south paw style .. anything is possible .
i used to think it would be a Mayweather shut out but after thinking more about it i think it can be a hard fought fight that will push both to the limi
alakran is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post

when has floyd ever done that? lmfao!
yes it was, marquez setup a trap for many which fell right into.. That punch was not thrown out desperation but planed.

when has floyd stepped back and did that shot .. plenty .. how many time did you catch ricky hatton with a step back right hand ? two many to count.
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl12 View Post
He did KO Ortiz. Cotto and Mosley aren't pure come-forward fighters. They can box a little bit. Manny can only come forward. Think of the Hatton fight.
my bad i forgot about that ending but i think Pacquiao can box a little better than Hatton if he respects Mayweathers power
alakran is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #38
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've always favoured Mayweather against Pac, but with that said...

Quote:
That punch that knocked out Manny was a step-back counter right hand. Mayweather is the best in the business with that punch.
Mayweather likes to throw before or after his opponent -- he either leads with pot shots or he neutralises their attack by evading/blocking/rolling, and then shoots his own in. He doesn't often aim to throw a devastating power punch with all his weight while the opponent is throwing their own shots, because it's a risky strategy, and you might get caught yourself while attempting it. I do remember a moment where Mayweather actually was attempting to punch with his opponent and hit them while they were still throwing (the check hook moment with Hatton) but even there he was pivoting away while he threw the shot, darting off to the side.

It's very different to what Marquez did, which was to basically move forward instead of backwards, putting all his power and weight into one big right hand with mean intentions.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #39
bjl12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1119

Quote:
best at landing it, doesnt mean hes gonna land it as hard as JMM
Correct. But Floyd will land it much more frequently.

Quote:
Doesn't need to land it as hard as JMM did. He'll land it over and over.

Boxing 101 people: A great right-hand is southpaw kryptonite. Always has been. Especially against a guy who comes in lunging and off-balance.

Also, the degree at which people dismiss Mayweather's punching power is laughable.
This guy Victor knows what he's talking about. Not because we agree but because he's basing his logic on sense.

Some of these Pac****s are saying how Pac will outbox Floyd. wat? Pac's offensive rush will not fare well against a fighter who has longer reach, is taller, one of the greatest defensive fighters of all time, one of the greatest counter-punchers of all-time, one of the most accurate punchers of all-time. Pac is just fast. That's it. Well, rest assured, Floyd's fought plenty of fast guys before.
bjl12 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Doesn't need to land it as hard as JMM did. He'll land it over and over.

Boxing 101 people: A great right-hand is southpaw kryptonite. Always has been. Especially against a guy who comes in lunging and off-balance.

Also, the degree at which people dismiss Mayweather's punching power is laughable.
I agree it will keep landing all night unless they can focus on defending against it in camp ( i doubt it)
but i dont think Mayweather will try to KO Pacquiao with it, i mean even Marqeuz who had had 36 rounds with Pacquiao got hurt in order to land it
alakran is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #41
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
I don't know who would win. I do find it laughable people think Floyd would win because of the Marquez KO.

Firstly FLoyd's KO record is poor, Marquez' is impressive. He has known power in his right. Secondly they are both counter punchers but very different kinds. Marquez counters toe to toe, Floyd counters with singles at a distance. Thirdly Marquez can take shots, he will go in harms way - that's how he got the chance to counter Pacquiao. He will willingly stand and take some big shots himself to open up the chance for big counters. Floyd does not do this. Let's not forget Pacquiao was battering Marquez at that point also and giving him a lot of problems before that counter which was completely at odds with how the fight was going.

Mayweather would keep the fight at a distance and jab and get the odd coutner with his right which is always primed for that single counter follow through. So that's why Floyd wouldn't necessarily give Pac the same problems Marquez does - Marquez can fight toe to toe, take a punch and look to counter. Mayweather covers up when toe to toe, he does not counter when under pressure or he would have KO'd Cotto quite easily.

Why would Pacquiao give him problems? The shoulder roll just doesn't work as well against left handers. Pacquiao's speed in his offense is something Mayweather hasn't faced before. Pacquiao's speed would allow him to connect with Floyd a lot more often than Floyd has been used to in fights. Floyd does not have a good chin, he has a great defense but when exposed he's been shaken by mediocre punches.

So yes, I think Pacquiao would certainly give Mayweather problems and if he used the same movement he did against Marquez without the reckless lunging in head first, chin exposed he would of course give Mayweather problems.
Bullshit JMM KO 64% Pac 62% Mayweather 60% if he has a poor KO % so do the KO kings, stop the hate.
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #42
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Floyd plants his feet and fires back a counter after stepping back in EVERY FIGHT.
holy fu*k

it wasn't a step back counter, Marquez was retreating to begin with, the whole purpose of retreating is that you're at the advantage always, you can choose when to fight and your opponent is the one that has to be ready for anything, if you want you can just continue retreating until you you feel like striking

a step back counter is an opponent throwing a punch, you stepping away from it and THEN punching back
Marquez didn't step back when pacquiao threw, he planted his feet when pacquiao threw, thus remaining in the pocket and using the torque for the punch(torque of his body) to avoid pacquiao's punch

floyd majority of the time(other guy mentioned ricky hatton fight) he leans his face foward so he has room to do his pull counter, for that it's two different motions, he pulls back, then pushes foward completely different from marquez and a very much weaker punch
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #43
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboxer View Post
I've always favoured Mayweather against Pac, but with that said...

Mayweather likes to throw before or after his opponent -- he either leads with pot shots or he neutralises their attack by evading/blocking/rolling, and then shoots his own in. He doesn't often aim to throw a devastating power punch with all his weight while the opponent is throwing their own shots, because it's a risky strategy, and you might get caught yourself while attempting it. I do remember a moment where Mayweather actually was attempting to punch with his opponent and hit them while they were still throwing (the check hook moment with Hatton) but even there he was pivoting away while he threw the shot, darting off to the side.

It's very different to what Marquez did, which was to basically move forward instead of backwards, putting all his power and weight into one big right hand with mean intentions.
No to mention the fact that JMM can crouch and fire off from angles below Pac's field of vision. Big advantage. JMM also turns his head and body leftwards, whereas Floyd nearly always leans back or slips by crouching towards his right side.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #44
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
yes it was, marquez setup a trap for many which fell right into.. That punch was not thrown out desperation but planed.

when has floyd stepped back and did that shot .. plenty .. how many time did you catch ricky hatton with a step back right hand ? two many to count.
I dont even know why you brought this up, i sure didn't say anything like Marquez was throwing out of desperation.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Indeed , many people underestimate Floyd's power punching but they forget that he's a defensive fighter , not an offensive one. I'm very sure that Floyd has more raw power in his right hand than Pac in his left hand. As for his chin , just look at the Mosley fight where he was caught with some hard clean shots and he bounced back pretty fast , so Floyd's chin and recovering system are very good.

Bottom line , if a 2009 Pac would fight with and 2011 / 2012 Floyd, I think Floyd would stop Manny cuz he would land on Pacquiao's button too many straight right hands.

The only lefty that has good chances to beat Floyd is Martinez @ 154 pounds.
flashy k.o is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum