Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #46
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about Floyd and Pac styles of fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
I dont even know why you brought this up, i sure didn't say anything like Marquez was throwing out of desperation.
Thats exactly how you made it sound .. like marquze was running from pac, when if fact he had been trying to setup that punch all night.. Pac faint and food speed was cause a bit of a problem. But marquez had seen pac's faints and lunges enough time that he was able to time it just right.

there is a video of marquez dropping his south paw sparring partner with that same punch .. Marquez landing that punch was by no mean a coincidence. He had that punched planed the whole fight, pac just present the opportunity sooner than latter by rushing in as often.

Last edited by pit; 12-11-2012 at 12:49 PM.
pit is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #47
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
Thats exactly how you made it sound .. like marquze was running from pac, when if fact he had been trying to setup that punch all night.. Pac faint and food speed was cause a bit of a problem. But marquez had seen pac's faints and lunges enough time that he was able to time it just right.

there is a video of marquez dropping his south paw sparring partner with that same punch .. Marquez landing that punch was by no mean a coincidence. He had that punched planed the whole fight, pac just present the opportunity sooner that latter by rushing in as often.
Again, i never said it was a lucky punch etc, you're in your own little world right now
SpeedKills is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #48
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 67070

Stylewise Floyd got Pac's number but Pac have a punches chance thats it.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #49
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Again, i never said it was a lucky punch etc, you're in your own little world right now
sarcasm gets you no where my friend .. my only point is that marquez is one of boxing best counter puncher in the world and one of the smartest.

Im only proving the point, that marqez had been looking for that shot all knight and when the opportunity presented itself he took it.

Marqez knew pac likes to jump in and out with three punch combo , right jab , straight left , followed by another right jab. many fighter are unable to catch coming in because he throws that last jab to keep them from following up and then he darts back out.
marquez caught pac in the middle of this combo and put him down. perfect !!

Last edited by pit; 12-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #50
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Marquez is a very smart fighter and that right hand wasn't a lucky shot. Of course Pac made a stupid move and stepped into that punch.

timing beats speed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqcrmP6HbI4[/ame]

0:36 - same punch / same situation
flashy k.o is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #51
gatorbama
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Lol no it wasn't, Marquez was retreating to begin with, as soon as he felt pacquiao about to come on he planted his feet and turned over a huge hook

when has floyd ever done that? floyd is mainly a straight shooter
Ricky hatton fight will answer that question. I wont even go back to older fights. That all he did against hatton was step back and right hand then he started getting the check hook ready. If you need a southpaw example, check victor ortiz rd 2 and 3
gatorbama is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #52
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy k.o View Post
Marquez is a very smart fighter and that right hand wasn't a lucky shot. Of course Pac made a stupid move and stepped into that punch.

timing beats speed.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

0:36 - same punch / same situation
He moves towards his right here and it's also a straight, not much of his body behind it, not the same punch

But i probabley shouldn't have said anything, now people are gonna think im saying the 6th rd ko it was a lucky punch, despite marquez trying it countless of times in the 3rd fight, it probabley could have been considered lucky since marquez had always failed to land it but the land in the 5th rd shows he had everything right before the finisher it was just about "when" it would land again
SpeedKills is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #53
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Has anybody Floyd fought even come close to pac's unconventional, unorthodox style, speed, and volume punching ability. STYLES MAKE FIGHTS...This is not as black and white as ya'll are making it out to be. The triangle theory of common opponents its a known myth.

Pactards got served, all we need now for the sake of Boxing and ESB is a FLOMO cleansing.
I1T2BOX is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #54
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by I1T2BOX View Post
Has anybody Floyd fought even come close to pac's unconventional, unorthodox style, speed, and volume punching ability. STYLES MAKE FIGHTS...This is not as black and white as ya'll are making it out to be. The triangle theory of common opponents its a known myth.

Pactards got served, all we need now for the sake of Boxing and ESB is a FLOMO cleansing.
using that same logic has pac fought anyone that come close to fighting like floyd ? The closes he has come to fighting someone like floyd is Marquez and the only thing they have in common is that both are boxing best boxer counter puncher.. marquez more of a boxer/puncher counter puncher and floyd more of a pure boxer/counter puncher.
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #55
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
using that same logic has pac fought anyone that come close to fighting like floyd ? The closes he has come to fighting someone like floyd is Marquez and the only thing they have in common is that both are boxing best boxer counter puncher.. marquez more of a boxer/puncher counter puncher and floyd more of a pure boxer/counter puncher.

Which means what for both fighters.......shit until they get in the ring.
I1T2BOX is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #56
markq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Oh you mean the everyday-im-shuffling into a tsunami punch head first style? To be honest, I don't think he has.
markq is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #57
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 67070

I hope the fight still gets made and i would favor Floyd. Floyd is everyway better than JMM. Speed, defense, timing, boxing IQ. ? on Power.

The smart bet is Floyd. The sucker bet is Pac. Also i doubt Odds maker will make this fight close to even money.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #58
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well for one this fight was only made possible because of the farce of a fight DLH vs MP. We are still talking about a fighter who doesn't really belong in the weight class, but is good enough to compete there. If you also look at his competition MP has been tearing up the weight class because he is the better technical fighter and the faster fighter. You don't win titles in 8 weight classes or beat guys like Barrera and Morales without having technical proficiency. It took one of the smartest counter punchers of our era 4 opportunities to win 1 definitively. He went life and death in 3 of them and the first two were razor thin and in their prime weight and age. So this notion that Mayweather is head and shoulders technically superior doesn't have much weight. Both MP and FM have benefited from being technically superior than their welterweight opponents.

So as far as the fight itself I would favor Mayweather. Why I think he is fresher and his physical advantages of height and reach are too much to overcome. However this is why I give MP a fighting chance. If you watch the first two fights against Marquez they were close fights because of the same things he did in the 4th fight, lots of feints, lots of head movement. After the DLH fight Pac got used to fighting technically inferior opponents and he didn't have to do that so much. I think after the scare in the 3rd Marquez fight Roach and MP went back to the drawing board and went back to the old ways. So this is why it would help.

For one if you want to beat a counter-puncher you have to feint them a lot. Mayweather being a master of defense and countering has created a reaction for just about every punch. If you want to open him up you have to feint him to get him used to certain patterns and see what reaction you are going to get. MP when he is at his best will keep his hands up to block punches, walks forward with head movement so it's hard to tell which punch is coming first, will feint to open up his opponent and will explode straight down the middle with quick 1-2 punches. I think for May who is used to fighting opponents who don't throw such quick or straight punches would have a hard time blocking every single punch and I think some of them could catch him off guard. I think they would also be hard enough that even with his guard up it could bloody him a little. I also think Manny's unconventional footwork would also be hard for May to counter every punch as he may not know which direction Pac intends to throw.

I think other things Pac will have success with:
Mayweather likes to throw single jabs. Pacquiao usually times his left hook off the jab. Wouldn't happen often, but I think Mayweather would find it annoying and it could open him up.

I think Pac's feint to the body and left up stairs would have major success. May fights very tall and Pac is short enough and comes in hard enough that May would probably try to protect his body.

Why I think Mayweather would win:
1. Range - he just to tall for Pac to dart in and out. Pac will have to dart out farther than usual and commit more when he comes on the inside.
2. Mayweather fights slender. Hardly will you ever see May square up. May's stance is really what wins him most of the battles and it will be really hard for Pac to land a good combo until he opens Mayweather up.

However those two things are also what keep May backing up in straight lines into the ropes so who knows.

Anyhow we don't know anything until they fight.
HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #59
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Quote:
Which means what for both fighters.......shit until they get in the ring.
This.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #60
sweetray
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Floyd power punch is not stong enough to ko Pac.
sweetray is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum